Anybody know what happened to:

donheff

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
lazygood4nothinbum? He hasn't been around in about 9 months. I remember he talked about heading overseas to live in remote places but I didn't see a goodbye post.

No goodbye post, he seems to have moved on. I mentioned that he was looking at various work option. I miss him.

I see that Dex hasn't been around for a couple of months. I trust that he didn't climb to the top of some peak and not get back down.

I see that Dex hasn't been around for a couple of months. I trust that he didn't climb to the top of some peak and not get back down.
Yeah...I've noticed that too. He also started the swine flu thread....

FinallyRetired hasn't been around for a month.

And for you real veterans, how about Old Age Pensioner? He used to have a blog about his experiences in New York, but I lost track.

And for you real veterans, how about Old Age Pensioner? He used to have a blog about his experiences in New York, but I lost track.

I think he has been banned from most forum boards. His blogs went belly up from time to time so I lost track too.

In spite of getting in deep dodo going down this road earlier...

This is a disturbing discovery. There are several people who are the backbone of this forum and Dex is/was one of them. (Listen up Nords, Martha, Want2retire, CuppaJoe, REWahoo to name but a few.) I truly hope that this of his chosing and not something more sinister. We need his unique perspective on life.

Edit: I, of course, meant to mention HaHa, Brewer, and Leonidas. I am sure that I will have nightmares about others that I have forgotten to mention but know that I, nevertheless, appreciate their participation in this wonderful comunity.

One of the facts of virtual life and the quirks of participating on discussion boards is that some folks vanish for no apparent reason. It can be very frustrating when it happens and we all wonder what the heck happened. Unfortunately we will probably never know.

One of the facts of virtual life and the quirks of participating on discussion boards is that some folks vanish for no apparent reason. It can be very frustrating when it happens and we all wonder what the heck happened. Unfortunately we will probably never know.

Sure, be all calm and reasonable about it.

Good point. Personally I vanished from a weight loss forum after participating every day for years. Two years later I came back, quite a bit heavier. :blush: Not to say that this does or doesn't have any similarity, but people do come and go.

Unfortunately with the board's demographic of retirees, people can also go and never come back--from the great beyond.

Over the decades I have participated in scores maybe hundred of discussion forums. I think one time I posted something saying I was leaving. I don't intentionally think, gee I am never going to talk to this people again. I just find myself posting and reading less often and then eventually stop going all together.

I promise I'll let you all know if I permanently decide to quit posting.

Unfortunately with the board's demographic of retirees, people can also go and never come back--from the great beyond.

Not to mention the recession - - if someone's ER plans had been completely derailed by selling when the Dow was around 6500, they might leave and never come back. As brilliant a bunch of investors as we all claim to be, it is always possible that some of us secretly did that and ended up having to delay ER indefinitely. :( That makes me so sad.

I promise I'll let you all know if I permanently decide to quit posting.
Thanks clifp. :flowers:

I promise to do the same (like anybody gives a hoot about me :LOL:). If I'm away for over a month without a word of goodbye, well...RIP bbbamI...

bbb, you know the men on this board will go into mourning if you ever leave!!! Your boots are NOT made for walking! And I would miss you too!!

Not saying goodbye is a sign of humility - unfortunately for the rest of us in many cases...

bbb, you know the men on this board will go into mourning if you ever leave!!! Your boots are NOT made for walking!
Well...you hit the nail on the head. It's not me the men would miss, it's the boots! Perhaps I should make a provision in my will that the ER Forum will get the rights to my avatar....:LOL:

And I would miss you too!!
Thanks BWE...that's sweet of you to say. :)

...There are several people who are the backbone of this forum and Dex is/was one of them. (Listen up Nords, Martha, Want2retire, CuppaJoe, REWahoo to name but a few.) I truly hope that this of his chosing and not something more sinister....
I participated in three or four other boards before coming here; just intended to lurk here, reading.:ROFLMAO:

Lurking lasted about three days, then I posted saying I'd like to "have coffee" with you guys and gals until I retire; then I retired and got this volunteer gig. I may well have left when the market dived just because it got so gloomy here but the gig kept me here, uh, "listening."

I left other boards for a variety of reasons: one was too religious/touchy feely, one sort of disintegrated with the guy who ran it insulting most of the posters, others were just too inactive. If you have left another forum, why?

One way you can help members feel like they are important is using the "thanks" feature when someone offers what you feel is a particularly helpful or insightful post. I think this helps both our long-time posters and newbies feel good about the time they spend here.

I think of many of you as my friends and I am glad that I can pay back this group with my time as a volunteer moderator. It makes me feel good to know that I am helping to keep this place so much fun by putting in my time as a mod. I know that I am far more grateful to those emeritus mods now than I ever was before.

But as for the OP--I suspect sometimes people just don't find this place relevant any more, no hidden plots or other exciting stories, more just the prosaic demands on the other side of the computer keyboard.

It would be great to know where some folks went off to...

If memory serves, I joined for a little while, took a brief sabbatical for personal reasons, then came back "full time". Some of you may have rued that day! :cool:

I don't remember if I let anyone know about my brief time out. If I didn't, sorry 'bout dat. :flowers:

If memory serves, I joined for a little while, took a brief sabbatical for personal reasons, then came back "full time". Some of you may have rued that day! :cool:

Rued which day? j/k ;) I think I knew you were taking time off but don't remember now what you said to give that impression.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom