Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Anybody own a Saab, or used to?
Old 02-21-2010, 12:43 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Anybody own a Saab, or used to?

Just curious, my neighbor just bought a clean 2002 9-5 Sport Wagon....looks sharp..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2010, 05:13 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife and I own 3 Saabs. We have a 1995 and 1998 9000 for daily driving and she has a 1992 900 convertible for summer fun.

I love Saabs. I don't think any other car has that combination of utility, performance and safety. Also, Saabs seem easier than most brands to get in manual transmission form, and neither of us can stand driving an auto.

I really hope they keep going under their new owners, but since my newest Saab is 12 years old, I guess I don't have to worry about it for a while.

And yes the 9-5 wagon is very sharp. That will likely be my next purchase.
trirod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:36 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I've owned 2.

In college I had a 1976 99 when I was in college and it was a piece of crap, but I did buy it used and fairly cheap. The odometer gear must've been chipped and didn't record miles correctly. The clutch went bad. The U-joint went very bad. The ceiling header material sagged badly. I loved the look and utility of it but it wasn't a good car.

Then I got a new '86 900. It seemed a bit heavy and clunky to me. The speedometer was 10mph off and was fixed under warranty. A connection to the fuel injection system come undone twice, once stranding me on the DC beltway 200 miles from home, but thankfully 2 miles from a Saab dealer. I recall taking it to the dealer a couple other times for other issues, and it was a pain since it was way across time and I really got to resent the car. We dumped it after a year and I never considered one again. I got fooled twice, shame on me, and I don't know what the saying is if you get fooled three times, but I wasn't going to find out.

I'm sure I just had a certain amount of bad luck and there's no way they'd have stayed in business for so many years if all of their cars were like that. But that's my story.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:59 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My son had a 2005 Saab and he thought it was great. He has a tendency to really check things out before he buys and the one big asset he stressed was safety. It's well known as a very safe car. It also was a stick shift but required premium fuel. I couldn't see the added cost for the premium fuel. That would keep me from buying one.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:11 AM   #5
gone traveling

My former company (owned by many during the almost 30 years that I was there) was owned (upon my retirement) by a company that was based in Sweden.

I did have the privilege to work with many Swedes in my later years of employment, and I was well aware of the two major brands of vehicles (Volvo/Saab).

Actually, in my work, I had the opportunity to tour the Volvo plant (Gothenburg) more than once during my "on-site" work there.

What was interesting (working with the Volvo folks - which at the time was owned by Ford - US) were the number of people who owned a Saab car.

Their reasoning (upon my question)? For the price, and the "value delivered", they thought the Saab was a better value.

Not to say that Volvo was of no value. It seems that Ford (US) incorporating many of the manufacturing processes of Volvo (Sweden) has moved them into a current period of progress in sales.

Hey, who knew? Ford didn't progress by copying the Jap way of doing things, but rather the Swedes?....
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:03 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

My first car was a 1967 model 96, but that might not be of any help in this discussion.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:26 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
My first car was a 1967 model 96, but that might not be of any help in this discussion.
Major car envy here. What an outstanding machine! For those not familiar:

Super-duper ice racing bizzaro-mobile.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:40 AM   #8

GM didn't do any favors for Saab after they purchased the company. At one point they were being built in Japan by GM. Up until about 2001 or 2002, they were decent cars, but I would not recommend anyone buy one built after that. Their innovation ceased and the engineering and manuacturing process was truly neglected for a long time, and now Saab is in sad shape.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:37 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I was hitching up in Maine near Mt Katahdin, trying to get where I could catch a bus to Boston. A pioneer ER type who lived up there picked me up in a Saab 96. 2 cycle, smoking exhaust, whole thing. I thought it was so cool, at the time my ride was an old straight-8 Pontiac with sheet metal that I had screwed onto the floor so I didn’t see the street flying by underneath. I was afraid to take it out of the city.

I decided that if I ever got the opportunity, I'd buy a Saab. 4 or 5 years later I did get a red one. I wanted it mainly to go up in the mountains around LA during winter to x-country ski. I bought it from Louis L'Amour. My GF at the time was working in a Safeway in Pacific Palisades, and saw the car advertised on their bb. We called, went up to his house, met him, took a drive and bought it. I had no idea who he was, but he told us he wrote western novels.

It did go well in the snow, but overall I thought is was a pretty crappy car. I eventually replaced it with a Citroen DS, another pretty crappy car but indestructible and much cooler to drive around in. Meanwhile I bought a Volvo for when I actually had to get somewhere.

Ha
Old 02-21-2010, 11:39 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
... replaced it with a Citroen DS.....

Ha
Maaaan - didn't that have adjustable from the cab suspension? Like you could raise the ride height, put a block under the body, lower the ride height and change a tire? So many cool cars from back when - also semi-lusted after the 2CV (?) with manual crank wiper capability....
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:44 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Maaaan - didn't that have adjustable from the cab suspension? Like you could raise the ride height, put a block under the body, lower the ride height and change a tire? So many cool cars from back when - also semi-lusted after the 2CV (?) with manual crank wiper capability....
Tha's the one. Absolutely beautiful car, waay over engineered- the crankshaft and main bearings were huge. Hydraulic suspension, integrated with the brakes- and I think that was the source of many little bothers as they aged. They also had poor paint.

I still see some restored ones around here. They still look really modern and cool, unlike so many older cars.

Ha
Old 02-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #12
gone traveling

I have always remembered a quote from many years ago in a Car and Driver magazine review:

"a Saab will never stab it's owner in the back"
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:18 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

We liked driving our Saab 900 that we had in the 80's, but it was much too expensive to maintain. Little things would go wrong and would cost big bucks to fix. For example, $503 (in today's dollars) to fix the stuck cabin heat knob.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:47 PM   #14

My hard luck story on the '84 Saab I owned is too long and sad to tell in detail. I'll just report that I sold it the month after the one year warranty expired. It had been towed back to the dealer 11 times in the first year. I tried to get my $ back under Maryland's lemon law but the dealer fought me in court. My previous car had been a '67 Volvo that was great. When it came time to replace it they were priced out of my range so I figured another Swedish car, the Saab, would be a good bet. I definitely lost on that one.
grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #15

When I lived in Colorado back in the 70s, I remember that the police in Aspen drove Saabs. Based on the amount of snow they get around there, I always thought that was a pretty damn good recommendation.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:19 PM   #16

Heh, com'on FD, you were in the car biz. If you're asking if it's a good car, I know you know the answer.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:13 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Heh, com'on FD, you were in the car biz. If you're asking if it's a good car, I know you know the answer.
Never dealt with Saabs, we never saw them. Seems like they depreciate fast but a lot of folks drive them forever.........kinda like Subarus are today........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:16 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

We had a Saab years go. It was always breaking down and the repairs were very expensive. I'd never get one again after that experience.
TooFrugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:14 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

P.S. Our Saab stabbed us in the back.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:38 AM   #20
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
P.S. Our Saab stabbed us in the back.

Vi gjorde vårt bästa ...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote