Old 08-27-2007, 02:57 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Want2Retire got it for Christmas.
It never turned into a diamond, either!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2007, 04:58 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I remember party lines and phones without any rotory dial. The center of the phone only had a display space for your phone number. My mother was a telephone operator during those olden times (way before I was born tho). "Number please? Please let me connect you."

Another thing that died out were those black round things that were used in road construction, fill with oil probably, and lit at night. I don't know what they were called. But, I remember those when growing up in a very small town of probably 150 people.

Oh we also had a coal furnace and a coal chute. My mother, being a widow, would have to go to the basement and shovel coal. I can still smell that coal and being afraid of that big monster in our basement.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:11 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post

Another thing that died out were those black round things that were used in road construction, fill with oil probably, and lit at night. I don't know what they were called. But, I remember those when growing up in a very small town of probably 150 people.
Smudge pots?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:13 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineeringMyFinances View Post
I also remember party lines, vaguely. Also notices in the phone books about state law requiring you to relinquish the line if someone stated an emergency call needed to be made. My grandparents had a party line with a special ring sequence to let you know if the call was for you or a neighbor. I wasn't quite old enough to have used a phone with a crank. But my other grandparents had an old instrument in their attic I ran across.

But I also remember:
  • Going to school in a one-room schoolhouse with multiple grades.
  • The bathroom was a little house out back, without running water.
  • The bright/dim headlight switch was on the floor next to the clutch.
Anyone else remember these?
"Pa, is that you?" (laura ingalls)
Old 08-27-2007, 07:07 PM   #25

My now ex DW & I built a house out in the country near Smithville, TX in 1986. We didn't find out about the party line phone system out there until after the house was pretty much finished. It was kind of a pain in the butt, but luckily we only lived there for a few months before we separated and divorced, forcing the sale of the house, along with the party line & nosy neighbors. Been there, done that.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:26 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
My now ex DW & I built a house out in the country near Smithville, TX in 1986.
Let me guess: One of you was diagnosed with a fatal illness and you moved there so whatever time you had left would seem like an eternity.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:20 PM   #27

I don't remember them party lines, but my sibs had line parties. I recall it was a huge deal when we got an extension phone...two phones in the same house w/same number. My older sibs were teenagers and got into big trouble because the temptation to have 'line parties' kept them from homework and chores

Fast forward to today and everybody in the house has thier own cell phone, and my teenage talker often goes online in a chat room while simultaneously chatting on a 3-way phone call.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:33 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Smudge pots?
About ten bucks and you can own your very own (sludgy oil not included) on ebay: smudge pot, Transportation, Cultures, Ethnicities items on eBay.com

Just think, you can dwell on the memories while being coated in a black smoky soot?!
Old 08-28-2007, 06:41 AM   #29

Thinking about those smudge pots reminds me of the days they would "oil" the road. A truck would come through with some oily/tar mixture spewing from the back, behind it would be a truck driving backwards spreading sand over the now sticky road. We weren't allowed to walk or ride our bikes on it for days and if we did ended up with that oily/tar all over the bottoms of our shoes. I'm guessing that's against some environmental law now.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:39 AM   #30

Thanks...smudge pots.... Those silly things really are etched in my memory for some reason. Summer time in our small village, smudge pots lit, catching fireflys in a mason jar. Walking downtown in the heat of the night, to watch the village outdoor movie on a Saturday night. All the farmers coming to town to chat and watch the movie. The little sundress I wore...geez...what else am I going to remember today.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:46 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Jeez, some of you people are really old...

Saturday morning serials chapters 1 through 15,
Fly paper, penny loafers, Lucky Strike Green.
Flat tops, sock hops, Studebaker, Pepsi Please,
Ahh, do you remember these?

Cigar Bands, on your hand, your daddy's socks rolled down.
Sticks, snow floats and aviator caps with flaps that button down.
Movie stars on Dixie Cup tops, and knickers to your knees,

The Hit Parade, grape Tru-Aid, The Sadie Hawkins Dance,
Pedal pushers, duck tail hair and peggin' your pants.
Howdie-Doodie, Tutti-Frutti, the seam up the back of her hose,
Ahh, do you remember those?

James Dean, he was keen, Sunday movies were taboo,
The Senior Prom, Judy's mom, Rock-n-Roll was new.
Cracker Jack prize, stars in your eyes, as Daddy tore the keys,

The boogey man, lemonade stands, takin' your tonsils out,
Hindenburg, -n- wait your turn, and 4 foul balls you're out.
Cigarette loads, -n- secret codes, -n- savin' lucky stars,
Can you remember back that far?

The boat neck shirts, and fender skirts and crinoline petticoats,
Mum's the word, and a dirty bird and a double root beer float.
Moon hub caps, and loud heel taps, and he's a real gone cat.
Ahh, do you remember that?

Dancin' close, little moron jokes, and cooties in her hair,
Captain Midnight, Ovaltine, and The Whip at the County Fair.
Charles Atlas Course, Roy Roger's Horse, and "only The Shadow knows"
Ahh, do you remember those?

Gable's charm, Frog in your arm, loud mufflers, pitchin' woo,
Going steady, Veronica and Betty, white bucks, and "Blue Suede Shoes"
Knock Knock jokes, and "Who's there?", Dewey, Dewey who?;
Do we, do we remember these? Yes, we do, Ahh do we do we remember these?

-The Statler Brothers-

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:16 AM   #32
Administrator

Well, that would explain why I haven't been able to find boat neck shirts lately. Come to think of it, it's been years but I keep looking for them.

That sure brought back memories, and some of the things were too old for me to remember!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:20 AM   #33

Yes...REWahoo that was fun. Many memories in that one. And...hey you "dirty bird"...we ain't old!
Old 08-28-2007, 12:00 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

We Must be the Same Age

Quote:
I very briefly wore skirts so short I had to carefully tuck my butt in as I walked up stairs.
because I remember you and your friends on the stairs up there in front of me. Life was good.

Mike D.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:53 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane; I remember all these things! Yikes!!

By the way, DH and I saw smudge pots in a small town a couple of years ago. Can't remember exactly where, but we both said we remembered them as kids and hadn't seen them for years and years.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:53 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Now I am smiling.

We had a 4-way party line and anyone could join just about any conversation (guess not too much was private via phone back then). People entered and left the conversation as time permitted. It was quite a gab fest as I recall.

I remember poodle skirts and bobby socks and loafers and sock hops in junior high (not middle school at the time).

I remember mother "rolling" my hair on Saturday night so that I would have curls for church and Sunday School. Do any of you ladies on this forum remember spoolies which were some kind of little spongy gadget that allowed a person to "roll" their hair and fold the spoolie down over the curl so that it wouldn't fall out at night when you slept? Of course the next morning I kind of looked like someone who was attached to an electrical outlet until the curls relaxed.

I also remember when the neighborhood Fina station would enter into a gas war and I'd pay 29 cents for a gallon of gas, or less.

American Bandstand . . .
Hula Hoops,
Licking a million green stamps to put them in the book so we could trade them for goodies at S&H Green Stamp Store,
Platform shoes
Tie-Dye
The twist . . with Chubby Checker

I might become confused about the decade, but the memories are sweet.

Thanks,
TG
Old 08-28-2007, 05:26 PM   #37

I'm not old yet like the rest of you ;-) but my now 12-year-old son asked me a few years ago what a typewriter was. He had never seen one. I explained that it was like a computer keyboard. I didn't go into the keys sticking if you pressed two at the same time or the fact that I thought the IBM Selectric I took Typing I and II on in 9th grade was very cool because it could automatically backspace and delete the last character you typed...but only the last one; if you wanted to delete more than that you had to do it manually.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:01 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

We had a party line, and we didn't live in a rural area, but a large Penna. city. When the city went to private lines, we had phone numbers with names...I remember ours was Hemlock 52158. I also remember having to learn HAND SIGNALS for driving. I learned to drive on a '51 Ford...no power anything. Didn't even have a radio! It was automatic shift, however.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:08 PM   #39

I definitely remember the party line, dimmer switch on the floor board and mini skirts. I even remember having a chamber pot as a small child.

My DD, who was just married, was looking for a car with her DH. She could not believe that they would even make cars that did not have power windows. She stated that that was just wrong. The car that they bought does not have them!