Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-23-2014, 08:12 PM   #41

I thought the Olympics were pretty good. NBC pays so much for broadcasting rights they need to add value of their own to push advertising rights high, and they are still struggling on that front.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2014, 08:47 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When's it starting I'll have to check it out.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:59 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DW likes ice skating, so we watched that. I don't know who decided that Tara Lipinski (former figure skater) would be a good commentator, but they should lose their job.

As far as whether they should end now: I'll bet a LOT of folks in Ukraine wish President Putin would stay occupied hosting that big worldwide audience for a few more months.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:16 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I enjoyed the whole spectacle.

It wasn't that long ago when the political emphasis would have been good vs. evil.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I thought it showed that Russia could put on a world class show without terrorist attacks. I am also interested in pursuing a Black Sea cruise as it seems to offer many fascinating ports of call: Turkey, Georgia, Russia, Ukraine and Bulgaria. We did Istanbul and the Bosphorus 2 years ago and I am itching to get back to that part of the world, including Ephesus and Cappadocia.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:43 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Sad news about Maria Komissarova. A reminder that some of these sports can be quite dangerous.

AFP: Injured Russian skier has 'no feeling from waist down'
Old 02-26-2014, 01:30 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

For the first time in my life, I completely missed the Olympics. I knew it was going on and have seen a few pictures online, but the past two days are the first real chance I have had to veg since I retired.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:04 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I loved the x game style competitions - so daring and the competitors so young and fresh and enjoying themselves win or lose. Best sport was the curling - not something I know much about but my DH explained a lot of it and I could appreciate how cerebral the sport is as well as being physically demanding. It didnt hurt that Canada won both men's and womens gold medals and that neither team lost a game during the entire tournament. Up at 4am to watch Canada-Sweden - great game even if it was a shut out. And as for our women hockey players - aaaawesoome.
Canada is pretty hopeless at summer sports but give us snow and ice and we heat right up!!!!
Old 02-27-2014, 09:26 AM   #49

I've always loved watching winter olympics, but for some reason this year it didn't interest me very much. Probably watched less than 6 hours of the coverage.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:31 AM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I've always loved watching winter olympics, but for some reason this year it didn't interest me very much.
Not sure why but it really didn't capture my interest either. We spent a week at the Nagano Olympics in '98, loved it and I though I'd be a lifelong fan. Guess not.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:52 PM   #51

We watched for two weeks: hockey being our least favorite of the events. By the time it was over, we were done watching. In four years, we'll be ready to watch again.