Anybody want to be profiled in Money Magazine? (ER or planning for it)

ESRBob

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Money is doing an article on ER and want to find people at all stages of the ER journey willing to be profiled. Your chance for fame (no fortune, sorry) and having your financials laid out and analyzed in front of millions.

I've pasted her note to me below and pls contact her directly if you are interested. Send me a PM or let us know here if you do contact her as it would be nice for us to know and we can all watch for the story when it comes out. Deadline is Jan 29.

Contact info: Dana Hudepohl 813.787.4354 dhudepohl@hotmail.com

Hi Bob,
I am doing background research for an article about early retirement
(retiring at the age of 60 or before) that will run in MONEY magazine.
I am
looking for candidates to interview who have already retired early or
who
are planning to retire early. To be included in the article, we’ll need
the
candidates to agree to financial disclosure (such as net worth and how
their
money is invested). They will also be photographed in the magazine.
Would it
be possible for me to post something on your forum to see who is
interested
in being considered for the article?

Here are more specifics of who I'm looking for:

a) Someone who retired early about a decade ago. What lessons have they
learned? Any unexpected challenges they’ve faced?

b) Someone (approximately in their 50s) who is just about to retire or
has
recently done it. They should have a true plan for how they will afford
this, which can include taking a post-retirement job or pursing an
avocation. We’d want to know financial details like how they’ll handle
health insurance and whether they are tapping their retirement plans
right
away.

c) Someone (in their 40s or 50s) who is on track to retire early in
five to
10 years. They should have already saved a significant amount of money
toward retirement. They should be able to share details about their
plans—financial and otherwise.

d) Someone who was forced into early retirement and turned corporate
downsizing into a fulfilling and prosperous retirement or second
career.
This would be someone who had to take a package at their corporate job,
but
they were smart about it: they invested the payout well or they made
sure
the company continued their health benefits.

My deadline is January 29. I look forward to hearing back from you!

Thank you!
Dana

ESRBob said:
Money is doing an article on ER and want to find people at all stages of the ER journey willing to be profiled. Your chance for fame (no fortune, sorry) and having your financials laid out and analyzed in front of millions.

I've pasted her note to me below and pls contact her directly if you are interested. Send me a PM or let us know here if you do contact her as it would be nice for us to know and we can all watch for the story when it comes out. Deadline is Jan 29.

John Galt: Here ya go.

I would have a really hard time exposing my financial soft underbelly to the masses. I am also private about what I have and not even my family knows what we are worth and I intend to keep it that way until I am too mentally vacant to deal with it all anymore.

Not to mention baiting the bottom feeders of society with your wealth.

The writer gets paid, the magazine makes a profit; the advertiser gets exposure but the subject gets nothing?

dex said:
The writer gets paid, the magazine makes a profit; the advertiser gets exposure but the subject gets nothing?

You get a free trip. An ego trip.

I'm always amazed that they get people to bare all financially in these articles, but they always do --- I didn't know if anyone here would be willing, but figured I'd ask. Some people do like to see their picture in a national magazine -- (I admit I'm one of them :-\), but financials? Never.

Jarhead* said:
John Galt: Here ya go.
Jarhead, you'll have to send JG a PM and hope that he reads his e-mail at the "library". He hasn't logged on since 21 Nov.

HFWR said:
I could be used as a bad example... :p
A Money magazine reality article? I'd pay real money for that issue!!

As much as they might send a photographer out here in January, the media's not interested in the military side of ER...

Nords said:
Jarhead, you'll have to send JG a PM and hope that he reads his e-mail at the "library". He hasn't logged on since 21 Nov.

:D :D :D

I guess my comment was a little too subtle for you, huh? 8)

Jarhead* said:
I guess my comment was a little too subtle for you, huh? 8)
Sorry, I was overwhelmed by the comic potential of the Money staff interviewing JG on video!

Nords said:
Sorry, I was overwhelmed by the comic potential of the Money staff interviewing JG on video!

Oh dear.

"Well, first you see...you gotta find yourself some woman willing to work her ass off while you sit at home and tell people on the internet how frickin great you are...but she has to sign a prenup first...then...you have to figure those there 'scanner' things out so people dont tease you about being a mensa member, but you cant scan a photo...then, you run up six figures in credit card debt that you hope to be able to keep shuffling along...then...you put that money into a series of investments that lose money and cant possibly earn enough to get by...and then when you get to social security age and dont need the wifes income anymore...throw her out! Then set your computer on fire and try to put it out with the scanner...then go to the library

Any questions?"

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Oh dear.

"Well, first you see...you gotta find yourself some woman willing to work her ass off while you sit at home and tell people on the internet how frickin great you are...but she has to sign a prenup first...then...you have to figure those there 'scanner' things out so people dont tease you about being a mensa member, but you cant scan a photo...then, you run up six figures in credit card debt that you hope to be able to keep shuffling along...then...you put that money into a series of investments that lose money and cant possibly earn enough to get by...and then when you get to social security age and dont need the wifes income anymore...throw her out! Then set your computer on fire and try to put it out with the scanner...then go to the library

Any questions?"

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: That is so funny! I can't stop laughing!

Nords said:

Oh, O.K., we're on the same page here. :D

CFB. Hope you appreciate the set-up. ;)

As I hope you appreciate the fine form of the fully extended, no-net slam into the opposing court.

Nice weather we're having finally, eh? Can you tell by the absolute lack of rain that I bought a flood insurance policy earlier this year?

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
As I hope you appreciate the fine form of the fully extended, no-net slam into the opposing court.

Nice weather we're having finally, eh? Can you tell by the absolute lack of rain that I bought a flood insurance policy earlier this year?

:D :D

If it were anybody but JG, that might have got you suspended for a few days. 8)

Yeah, pretty unusual weather patterns so far this year. (Lots of frost delays because of frozen greens in the early A.M., but no complaints.

Living in the "flats", I think you are probably wise to get flood ins.

Flooding is no problem for us. We are about 2500 elevation.

But I'm not smug about that. I built our home on the rim of a canyon,
and there's always the remote possibility that we could find ourselves
slip, sliding away, to the bottem. (No insurance for that). ;)

Don't take any wooden nickels, and if you know a good "rain dance", get cracking. ;) Local Media will be talking a lot about the lack of rain in the next few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom