Join Early Retirement Today

Anybody with a steam shower?
Old 05-19-2017, 10:18 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We are in the process of getting bids to update our master bath... I want to add some massage heads but DW wants to convert it to a steam bath...

SOOOO, anybody have a steam bath at home?
Did you install it yourself or was it in the house already?
Do you USE it?
Would you recommend anything extra like music or lights?

I think it is a waste of money but DW is pretty insistent on getting it. I want to know the pros and cons of doing this.
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2017, 11:26 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well the only pro that matters is that insistence part.....
Old 05-19-2017, 11:30 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post
Well the only pro that matters is that insistence part.....
+1
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:42 AM   #4

Our home had a steam shower disabled by the last owners. You can have the steam generator if you like. In looking for homes for our daughter we came across a few homes with them. The damage to the bath was pretty evident. One bath the entire tub had lost all enamel and was down to the cast iron bare. Others the walls suffered extreme damage. Our shower has the solid cultured marble walls and had no signs of prior steam damage. Just a warning. My brother remodeled his home in the 80's and put one in the bath off of the swim spa next to the sauna room. It was never used......
Happyras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:44 AM   #5

SOOOO, anybody have a steam bath at home?
In my last house

Did you install it yourself or was it in the house already?
I added it with a house addition

Do you USE it?
Didn't use it all that much. This was in the northwest, so it was nice to get warmed up occasionally in the winter. It's a different experience than a sauna. Just make sure you've spent time in each. To me it felt a bit stifling to breath.

I wouldn't think they would be as popular in Texas- just turn off the A/C.

Would you recommend anything extra like music or lights?
I actually preferred the dark, and quiet, since it was pretty relaxing.
tfudtuckerpucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:03 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Wouldn't it be cheaper for your wife to get a gym membership at a place that has one and use the steam sauna there whenever she wanted?

I agree they are stifling, but they are great for cleaning out the pores! Especially the face! Glowing!
AutumnElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:12 PM   #7

Our current house had a steam shower nozzle added to the fiberglass surround. It really took a toll, cracking the fiberglass around the fittings. We removed it when we remodeled the master bath. I ended up selling the 20 year old generator for ~$125 on Craigslist.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:28 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnElf View Post
Wouldn't it be cheaper for your wife to get a gym membership at a place that has one and use the steam sauna there whenever she wanted?

I agree they are stifling, but they are great for cleaning out the pores! Especially the face! Glowing!

She is a member at 2 gyms!!! One has sauna and the other has pool, sauna and steam... but, she still has to go to the gym for it.... not that she does not go to the gym since she exercises all the time, just not for the steam...

And YES, it would be cheaper!!!
Old 05-19-2017, 12:35 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Just and FYI.... we are going to be making the shower stall, which is the size of a jetted tub into the shower and steam room.... with porcelain tiles etc... from what I read this is the way to go with a steam room...

My problem is cost... and how often it will be used... the cost per use is outrageous....
Old 05-19-2017, 05:01 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

You got to make her see! 😃Lay it out on paper and make her see that it would be cheaper for her to use the gym facilities she already has (a cost per use over time chart comparison would be good), and then to convince her add some topping and put the money that you would use for that for maybe something you both really want (is there something?) that is more appealing to her than the steam bath.
AutumnElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:23 PM   #11

About 10 years ago, all of the spec built mini mansions in So Cal had them when built, not so much today. ....... I have never herd of anyone actually using them.... Just one of those "Must Have" fads IMO.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:34 PM   #12

I thought about it at one time but did not go through with it. Personally, I'd like better water pressure. You mentioned massage heads. I can tell you that unless you have significant water pressure, you will need a reservoir and pump to run more than two typical heads. I put in body sprays, an overhead and a handheld and with typical city water pressure running two of the three was all that was possible. Two even taxed the system.

I will echo the concern about damage. I have been in sauna's in the gym and over time, they're always replacing tile. Also, make sure DW agrees to clean it.
Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I thought about it at one time but did not go through with it. Personally, I'd like better water pressure. You mentioned massage heads. I can tell you that unless you have significant water pressure, you will need a reservoir and pump to run more than two typical heads. I put in body sprays, an overhead and a handheld and with typical city water pressure running two of the three was all that was possible. Two even taxed the system.

I will echo the concern about damage. I have been in sauna's in the gym and over time, they're always replacing tile. Also, make sure DW agrees to clean it.
This reminds me of LBJ's shower in the White House http://www.benjaminfranklinplumbing....amazing-shower
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:49 PM   #14

I added one to my shower stall, but don't use it too much, for a few reasons....

It takes quite a while to heat up. The more space you have, and especially the more wall space that's got a high heat capacity, the longer it takes. In other words, if you have a lot of square feet of tile, it's going to take a long time for the space to get hot. That, as opposed to a fiberglass surround, which doesn't suck up the heat as bad.

I close-off the shower stall on the top with a chunk of styrofoam sheathing. Kind of ghetto, I know, hehe!, but it works. There's nothing in the shower or bathroom that seems to be getting damaged.

If you're going to do it, default to the larger amperage one. I went with the cheaper/smaller, and, like I said, takes too long to heat up.

All that being said, sometimes, in the winter when I'm chilled to the bone, I'll plan on a steam bath. Then afterward I can walk around in a tee shirt and not be cold...for a little while at least.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I added one to my shower stall, but don't use it too much, for a few reasons....

It takes quite a while to heat up. The more space you have, and especially the more wall space that's got a high heat capacity, the longer it takes. In other words, if you have a lot of square feet of tile, it's going to take a long time for the space to get hot. That, as opposed to a fiberglass surround, which doesn't suck up the heat as bad.
This is true. I have a slightly oversize shower stall, lined on two sides, top and bottom with cultured marble and two sides with 3/8-inch glass. I usually fire the generator up for at least 30 minutes before venturing into the steam shower. Forty-five minutes is better.

And you don't want to get to close to the steam nozzle when the generator is running. That puppy gets HOT.

I grew up in a fairly non-assimilated Finnish family, one that holds the traditional sauna in high regard. (And no, a traditional sauna is not a dry room, it's a steam bath.) The steam shower is better than nothing, but it's a faint facsimile of an old-time sauna with wood stove and steam rising off its shelf of hot stones.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:15 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
This is true. I have a slightly oversize shower stall, lined on two sides, top and bottom with cultured marble and two sides with 3/8-inch glass. I usually fire the generator up for at least 30 minutes before venturing into the steam shower. Forty-five minutes is better.

And you don't want to get to close to the steam nozzle when the generator is running. That puppy gets HOT.

I grew up in a fairly non-assimilated Finnish family, one that holds the traditional sauna in high regard. (And no, a traditional sauna is not a dry room, it's a steam bath.) The steam shower is better than nothing, but it's a faint facsimile of an old-time sauna with wood stove and steam rising off its shelf of hot stones.

Yea, that is the problem... she is used to a steam bath with the stones etc...

Might have to price out a bit bigger one since it is the size of a juccuzi tub that is being replaced..... glass from floor to ceiling and a bench...

Edit to add.... she also thinks it has health benefits and says she will be using it 'all the time'.... I have my doubts...
Old 05-19-2017, 10:23 PM   #17

We installed a Mr. Steam shower when we remodeled in 2014. DH loves it and uses it at least 2x/week. I use it maybe once/month. We both like it and it hasn't appreciably increased our utility costs. Go for it! Happy wife, happy life [emoji41]
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote