Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone a dual citizen? Is it worth getting?
Old 06-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone a dual citizen? Is it worth getting?

Does anyone have dual citizenship? What would you say are the pros and cons?

My DW is a US citizen but my FIL was born and raised in Sweden (he currently lives in Norway). Since citizenship in Sweden is based on jus sanguinis, my DW could apply for citizenship in Sweden correct?
bank5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2009, 01:44 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
Does anyone have dual citizenship?
Sort of. I'm a U.S. citizen as well as a citizen of the tribal nation in which I'm enrolled. That's sort of a special case, though, and I think it might be the only form of "dual citizenship" recognized by the U.S. government.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:50 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

DW and DD are both dual (American & Swedish). No downsides that I've seen.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

US State Department Services Dual Nationality

Doesn't seem to be much of a downside... but they do say there could be...

The only problem is this statement

"However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship. "

It would seem that she would meet the first two but probably not the third... but why chance it IMO unless there is some benefits she might get if she moves over there...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:59 PM   #5
Administrator

My wife, our children, her 5 brothers and sisters, their spouses and children are all duals. Two nephews are triples. Two of our children married citizens of other countries and will be duals, as will their SO's. My recently born granddaughter is a dual.

Dual citizenship is handy when there are significant differences between countries and the dual citizen can choose one over another without that choice being permanent or mutually exclusive. These might be

- political stability
- the economy
- social benefits
- taxation

Multiple passports can also come in handy. Dual citizenship is usually "free" - as in it costs nothing except documentation fees.
Quote:
Since citizenship in Sweden is based on jus sanguinis, my DW could apply for citizenship in Sweden correct?
Depends on Swedish law. Usually yes, but not always.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:34 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm a dual citizen. One of the obvious benefits is there are no time limits on how long you can stay in country. You could also go to Cuba with you "other" passport but not sure that is a benefit.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:12 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

MY DW has dual citizenship, US & British. She started collecting her British state pension at 60 and will collect SSI in January. We paid into Voluntary Class 3 British state pension contributions in order that she receive a higher monthly benefit. After 2.5 years of receiving those benefits we will get all the those class 3 contributions back and were even. After those first 2.5 years it's all gravy. I'd advise all who are elligible to do it to do it. No wonder the British bonds are being downgraded by S&P and Moodys. Is the US next?
hogtied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:41 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I will be seeking the US citizenship in a few years which will make me a dual US/EU citizen (assuming I am worthy enough of the US citizenship!). I also qualify for the Swiss citizenship based on lineage.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:18 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

The more the merrier. I wonder if there are tax complications though.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:39 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The more the merrier. I wonder if there are tax complications though.
Indeed. Having multiple citizenships is not all fun and game. It comes with extra duties as well, such as financial, administrative and military duties. Many people ignore those extra-duties but it doesn't mean that they are not there.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:09 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As I understand it Texas Proud is correct. As long as you had your other citizenship first you can be a dual citizen. If you are a US citizen then you apply for foreign citizenship you lose you US citizenship, for the simple reason the US does not recognize dual citizenship. Obviously American Indians are a special case.

In your wife's case it would make sense that she is actually a dual citizen by birth so she shouldn't lose her US citizenship (I would check with a lawyer first though). Some countries put a time limit on claiming citizenship. So if Sweden is one of those you wife would have to claim her Swedish citizenship prior to say the 21st birthday or she loses all rights to citizenship by birth and has to apply the same way any other immigrant would apply.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:18 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire View Post
As I understand it Texas Proud is correct. As long as you had your other citizenship first you can be a dual citizen. If you are a US citizen then you apply for foreign citizenship you lose you US citizenship, for the simple reason the US does not recognize dual citizenship. Obviously American Indians are a special case.
I am eligible for Irish (EU) citizenship since my grandparents were born there. I checked out the requirements and impact some years ago but haven't followed through. Lots of Americans of Irish ancestry have done this with no ill effect. You do not lose your citizenship by applying for Irish citizenship unless your stated intent is to renounce US citizenship.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:11 AM   #13

Donheff--In your situation it doesn't look sound you are applying for Irish citizenship, you are claiming it. There is a big difference. I will admit immigration law is not my forte, I'm more of a trade guy.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:14 AM   #14
Administrator

US citizenship does not conflict with any other if you qualify by birth, marriage, length of residency or other passive mean. The determining factor is the passive nature of the non-US citizenship qualification.

People eligible for EU citizenship because of their ancestry are not in conflict with US citizenship laws.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:27 AM   #15

As a US citizen, you must file a tax return on your worldwide income regardless of other country of citizenship or residence. It could become complicated if the other country of citizenship also requires you to pay tax on your WW income. There are exclusions or course, but you could end up paying double tax on part of your income. That said, as of right now, I know of no other country with the requirement to report income you made outside of that country even if you are a citizen. Laws change though...especially tax laws.

R
Old 06-04-2009, 07:53 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire View Post
Donheff--In your situation it doesn't look sound you are applying for Irish citizenship, you are claiming it. There is a big difference. I will admit immigration law is not my forte, I'm more of a trade guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
US citizenship does not conflict with any other if you qualify by birth, marriage, length of residency or other passive mean. The determining factor is the passive nature of the non-US citizenship qualification.

People eligible for EU citizenship because of their ancestry are not in conflict with US citizenship laws.
Yes, I think you are right. I would be documenting a claim to Irish citizenship, not asking that it be granted.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:56 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

How does dual citizenship work when one travels--do you carry two passports, would you show (for example) the Irish passport when you travel to Ireland and the US passport when you return? Do both countries know of your dualness or of your application for it? Does Homeland security automatically put you on a list for applying post-9/11?

(Someone I know looked into this about three years ago and these questions arose--ultimately they dropped the idea.)
Old 06-04-2009, 08:02 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
How does dual citizenship work when one travels--do you carry two passports, would you show (for example) the Irish passport when you travel to Ireland and the US passport when you return? Do both countries know of your dualness or of your application for it? Does Homeland security automatically put you on a list for applying post-9/11?

(Someone I know looked into this about three years ago and these questions arose--ultimately they dropped the idea.)

Read the link I provided.... it says each country is different, but in general yes, you would need to use your passport of a particular country to enter that country....
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:03 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, TexasProud.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:39 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
How does dual citizenship work when one travels--do you carry two passports, would you show (for example) the Irish passport when you travel to Ireland and the US passport when you return?
Yes that's usually how it works. I think that the US requires you to use your US passport when you return from overseas. When visiting a country other than the US or Ireland, you can decide who you want to be...