Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Anyone a VAX/VMS administrator in a former life?
Old 03-17-2006, 08:30 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oh yeah...we had that on a vax for a while. Until the boss wondered why me and the guy in the office next to me kept cursing each other out at random intervals throughout the day.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2006, 09:01 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Man, you guys are old :P
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n Fuzzy Bunny
All I can say is that I've run some limited distros successfully for specific tools and apps, but every machine I ever installed it on had a critical piece of hardware that no linux drivers existed for. I've never gotten any distro to run on a laptop where the graphics, network, sound and burner were all fully supported. But then its been a few years...
Yeah, there are some specific types of hardware where almost no manufacturer's products have any Linux drivers, and that can lead to a lot of headaches. In my opinion the situation's gotten a lot better over the last few years, and pretty much every other aspect of Linux has had similar dramatic improvements, but there are still things where it's a pain like finding a cardbus wifi adapter that just works, or that works at all for that matter.

There are lots of pluses and minuses and it depends a lot on what you need -- definitely a mixed bag.
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 11:34 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Dood
Man, you guys are old :P
Yeah, I was typing that and said "about 20% (maybe)of the old farts around here are going to be thinking "oh man, I remember that", adn the rest are going to be saying "KL20? Tops? Vax? WTF?!? These people stuck phone handsets into rubber cups? And I thought *I* was a deviant...."
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:11 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Hey CFB, I hear Moses used to wipe the mat with you in those MUDs!

Nords, I'm already trying to figure out how to turn this trip into cash, we'll see what happens.

The sad truth is, while my technical skills are respected, the real reason I get sent into emergency situations is because I've become a world class bullsh**er. Maybe that's too harsh, since I really want to fix the problem, but it's the "social skills" that seem to sell me. :P
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 07:04 AM   #26
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n Fuzzy Bunny
Yeah, I was typing that and said "about 20% (maybe)of the old farts around here are going to be thinking "oh man, I remember that", adn the rest are going to be saying "KL20?* Tops?* Vax? WTF?!? These people stuck phone handsets into rubber cups?* And I thought *I* was a deviant...."

And some of us still use EMACS (but probably not the original TECO version...)

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 07:30 AM   #27

Quote:
And some of us still use EMACS
Darn right. If it can't be done in emacs, it probably isn't worth doing. The only screen editor that doubles as an operating system.

Sure beats line-editing on VAX/VMS at 300 baud on a TI SilentWriter 700 (thermal paper terminal) with a sharp stick. Ain't the 20th Century great?

Then again, the original VT100s were so futuristic-looking in their day. Straight out of Star Wars, or 2001: A Space Odyssey. Or Rollerball.

Bpp
bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 07:42 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dory36

And some of us still use EMACS (but probably not the original TECO version...)
EMACS was a little too slick for me - I stuck with VI*
Old 03-18-2006, 08:49 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

teco with the vtxx macros so you could use it as a full screen editor...0j$$ewfile$$

The **** that sticks in your head. : :P
Old 03-18-2006, 09:02 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

I'm only 31 and I know what they're talking about.

Crap - I just admitted what a geek I am.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:22 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
The sad truth is, while my technical skills are respected, the real reason I get sent into emergency situations is because I've become a world class bullsh**er.* Maybe that's too harsh, since I really want to fix the problem, but it's the "social skills" that seem to sell me. :P
"A straight shooter with upper management potential."

Sorry to hear it, Laurence!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 01:58 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
"A straight shooter with upper management potential."

Sorry to hear it, Laurence!
Everyone has a cross to bear!
Old 03-18-2006, 09:28 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n' Fuzzy Bunny
teco with the vtxx macros so you could use it as a full screen editor...0j$$ewfile$$

The **** that sticks in your head. : :P
Didn't imagine anybody here would have ever heard of teco! I still have the teco card and booklet. This week my wife and I were in an antique store and I found about 50 IBM punch cards for sale at $10.00. I have about 4000 of them.
John Tuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 07:26 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Yep, that was the first stuff I did with a computer. Punching Basic Plus code on cards on an old ibm punch machine, feeding them into a very fancy new optical card reader and getting output from an LP11 line printer. The next year we got a couple of ASR/33 teletypes that had built in 10cps mechanical paper tape readers/punches. If you happened to be particularly nice to the guy who ran the old pdp-11, he'd unlock the door to it and let you use the optical paper tape reader. Pretty much essential as the 28k machine ran off of a pair of 5mb disk drives and there was no room for user stuff on the drives.

Man, is THIS the "uphill both ways, up to our knees in snow" of the computer business...

While open access to the HS computer gave me the 'in' to what I ended up doing all of my life, I wonder how all that stuff prepared your regular joe HS student for data processing considering that we were on the cusp of the personal computer era...
Old 03-19-2006, 08:23 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Man, is THIS the "uphill both ways, up to our knees in snow" of the computer business...
I'm looking forward to teaching my kid Baudot code...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 03-19-2006, 09:20 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Bridgitte Baudot?
Old 03-19-2006, 10:15 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Bridgitte Baudot?
Hey, the submarine force's communications systems used to live & die off her paper tapes. We'd buy hundreds of rolls of that stuff, and then have to shred it after we were done loading the machines (what the reader didn't already shred for us).

Old 04-02-2006, 06:01 PM   #38

Laurence- How did the trip go?
gindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 06:13 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

It went really well, I just stood there with a print out of Unix to VMS command (actually, VMS seems more like DOS). They were running a microvax. It had a thinnet connection over to a windows machine, which then talked to the rest of the network.

It never gets old, every trip, when I go out, I'm greeted by nervous, sometimes even hostile people, and to watch them all end up being good friends by the end, it's a pretty good buzz. Made my boss, and my boss' boss look good, and I began to devise a 12 month plan with them so I could make this aspect of my job a little less "unofficial".
Old 04-02-2006, 06:35 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelnad
I'm only 31 and I know what they're talking about.

Crap - I just admitted what a geek I am.
OK, but did you use Gopher? How about Veronica or Archie? WAAS?