Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone a VAX/VMS administrator in a former life?
Old 03-16-2006, 06:19 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Anyone a VAX/VMS administrator in a former life?

So I've been asked to help another site with some IT security issues, and Sunday I'll be flying out to NY to try my hand. On the prep call this morning I asked what systems they were running, no problem until they sad VAX! Anybody here work on VMS and can give me some tips on it's security architecture (user account creation, password settings, account lock out etc.). I'm casting blindly, but I figured with a bunch of retired engineers, I had a shot.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Anyone a VAX/VMS administrator in a former life?
Old 03-16-2006, 06:22 PM   #2
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

Not since the '80s. but I think TH invented them...

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 06:31 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dory36
Not since the '80s. but I think TH invented them...

....wait, it wasn't Al Gore?
Old 03-16-2006, 06:46 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
So I've been asked to help another site with some IT security issues, and Sunday I'll be flying out to NY to try my hand. On the prep call this morning I asked what systems they were running, no problem until they sad VAX! Anybody here work on VMS and can give me some tips on it's security architecture (user account creation, password settings, account lock out etc.). I'm casting blindly, but I figured with a bunch of retired engineers, I had a shot.
Vax - Wow, just, wow :P
Old 03-16-2006, 09:07 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

....wait, it wasn't Al Gore?
Stop laughing transvestite boy. I wrote a few of the drivers for VMS 1.0...then did 3rd level engineering support for Digital Field employees in the northeast.

This is going to be easy for you though. Same architect that built VMS (Dave Cutler) built Windows NT. The innards are surprisingly similar and even use a lot of the same terms. I stopped working with the product around VMS 3.2 when 4.0 was coming out, but it looked to me like they kept it pretty up to date.

This will make you happy...
http://www.auditnet.org/docs/decvaxvm.txt
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 09:24 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Stop laughing transvestite boy. I wrote a few of the drivers for VMS 1.0...then did 3rd level engineering support for Digital Field employees in the northeast.
No wonder you caught the early retirement bug.

Bpp
bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:31 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, bunny boy. Ugh, ya, I'll get through it, but I will be demanding an explanation for why they are still running it. I love a challenge, though. Come in, act as if you didn't spend the last 72 hours cramming on whatever problem they have, fix it, and calmly ask what's for lunch. I love this job.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:18 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Believe it or not, we still had some at Intel. Some manufacturing apps and a few other real time verticals that run really, really well on vms on an old vax, and the fricking things have great uptime.

The good news is that in most of the apps they're employed in, you dont need to connect them to the main network (except for administrators convenience), and may just need to connect them to the manufacturing bus or subnet and isolate inbound and outbound traffic for the vax at the router. The admin will kick and scream because he has to go to the console terminal to do stuff, but thats why they make ten dollar costco sneakers...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:49 PM   #9

So how did they make WinNT less stable than VMS?
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 03:59 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

It does a whole heck of a lot more, supports a lot more hardware and software, the software developer doesnt also spec and make the hardware, and on VMS users didnt have administration rights by default. No GUI. No internet. No "hacker community".

Thats the part a lot of people forget when they feign superiority of a product...if OSX and linux supported all the same hardware, software, applications and was rolled out to the same sized user base under the same conditions...they'd suck too.

Although NT/Windows 2000/XP havent ever been that bad. Win9x, a totally different product, is another matter...
Old 03-17-2006, 04:09 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Win 98 with all the service packs was not horrible, but Windows ME more than made up for it. What a piece of work!

Just to make it funnier, I just found out I won't have a week to work on the site, I'll have a day. Customer inspection is on Tuesday. If I pull this off I'm changing my screen name to something like "big brass ones". :P
Old 03-17-2006, 04:48 PM   #12

Thanks for the informative reply.

One of your points, I think, is an exaggeration, in that Linux probably runs on a wider variety of hardware than any Windows version does (oh, and also has a more amateurish developer community with less involvement with the hardware manufacturers), but all the same, those are some good reasons!
Old 03-17-2006, 04:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Just to make it funnier, I just found out I won't have a week to work on the site, I'll have a day. Customer inspection is on Tuesday. If I pull this off I'm changing my screen name to something like "big brass ones". :P
And if you don't pull it off....?

Johnny Noballs?

Good luck with it!!
Old 03-17-2006, 05:39 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Dood
Thanks for the informative reply.

One of your points, I think, is an exaggeration, in that Linux probably runs on a wider variety of hardware than any Windows version does (oh, and also has a more amateurish developer community with less involvement with the hardware manufacturers), but all the same, those are some good reasons!
All I can say is that I've run some limited distros successfully for specific tools and apps, but every machine I ever installed it on had a critical piece of hardware that no linux drivers existed for. I've never gotten any distro to run on a laptop where the graphics, network, sound and burner were all fully supported. But then its been a few years...
Old 03-17-2006, 06:59 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

Hehe VAX. I used to MUD (text only gaming) back on the University VAX system. I almost flunked out of college because of it.

I just can't get into graphics based role playing games now.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:11 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Dungeo from the old tops-10 ported to a pdp-8 that I used to have nearly did a 1970's version of evercrack to me... :P
Old 03-17-2006, 07:18 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

People were still playing multi-user dungeons back in 96 when I was in college, I had a friend who was addicted to it as well, his espresso machine worked overtime.

Old 03-17-2006, 07:22 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n Fuzzy Bunny
Dungeo from the old tops-10 ported to a pdp-8 that I used to have nearly did a 1970's version of evercrack to me... :P
Ouch, I did the same from home when a "modem" had big rubber suction cups for the phone and Ma Bell charged by the minute. At least until my folks discovered what that weird phone noise was.

Quote:
If I pull this off I'm changing my screen name to something like "big brass ones". :P
In the workplace I think that translates as "Big Bonus Boy."

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:33 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Ouch, I did the same from home when a "modem" had big rubber suction cups for the phone and Ma Bell charged by the minute. At least until my folks discovered what that weird phone noise was.
The anderson jacobsen acoustic coupler! 110-300baud on a very good day with the wind blowing in the right direction, downhill, both ways, sun shining, and at least 125 volts coming out of the plug. AND DONT TOUCH IT WHILE YOU'RE USING IT!
Old 03-17-2006, 07:58 PM   #20
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n Fuzzy Bunny
Nothing like "Empire" on a KL20, accessed using a Heathkit-19 at 300 baud to waste a little time...

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote