Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone Affected by Google+ Shutdown in April
Old 02-11-2019, 06:52 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Anyone Affected by Google+ Shutdown in April

I don't post there but I do receive pics of grandchild from parents. Am I the owner of those pics which will be lost 4/2 if I don't save them? Any idea how to estimate the size of the archived photos? The storage space on our Mac is not huge and I am hoping to upgrade the operating system which will take up even more space.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2019, 10:33 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Download them and copy them to an external thumb drive.

They are as low cost as $21 for 128 Giga bits which is thousands of photos.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:15 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Move them over to google drive
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:07 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies! Do I have to download to my computer first? I assume that's true if I do it to my personal HD.......but how about to Google Drive?
Is there a charge for storing on Google Drive..........I have a Google Photos account.........Is that the same as Google Drive?
Old 02-12-2019, 08:13 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

15 gig is the free size of google drive.

In the settings for Google drive there is a setting to add goigle photos to the google drive, so i would say they are seperate but can be combined.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:17 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
Move them over to google drive
+1
Old 02-12-2019, 09:30 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I use Google Photos and it's unlimited up to 16MP. Anything greater than that and they compress to that level. Which is not a problem for me. And it automatically backs up my pictures from my cell which is nice.

This explains the difference between Google Drive and Photos.

https://www.guidingtech.com/google-p...-google-drive/
Old 02-12-2019, 01:19 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I've done some reading, but I'm still confused as to how to know if I have anything related to Google Plus that will go away? I don;t think so. I use Google Drive, Google Photos a little bit, and gmail.

As far as I know, I've never done anything with Google Plus, other than maybe sign up for it sometime when they were pushing it. When I go to Google + from a Google search page, I don;t see anything other than generic stuff.

Am I OK?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:21 PM   #9

I only used it once about 5 years ago and got a message from them explaining how to download my stuff, which I did. So I think if you didn't get a message, you're probably OK.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:53 PM   #10

We keep all of our digital photos in google photos.
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I've done some reading, but I'm still confused as to how to know if I have anything related to Google Plus that will go away? I don;t think so. I use Google Drive, Google Photos a little bit, and gmail.

As far as I know, I've never done anything with Google Plus, other than maybe sign up for it sometime when they were pushing it. When I go to Google + from a Google search page, I don;t see anything other than generic stuff.

Am I OK?

-ERD50
I don't know if your results are the same as mine. If I google "google plus" I end up with perhaps what you are calling generic. For some reason the search adds "/discover" in the URL bar. If I go back and delete that /discover part
in the URL bar, then it asks me to log in to what I assume is my Google plus.
If you are already logged into something google.....e-mail, maps, sheets then your Google plus account comes up when you get rid of /discover. Also I see
a yellow-orange bar at the top warning about G+ going away.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:52 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I use Google Photos and it's unlimited up to 16MP. Anything greater than that and they compress to that level. Which is not a problem for me. And it automatically backs up my pictures from my cell which is nice.

This explains the difference between Google Drive and Photos.

https://www.guidingtech.com/google-p...-google-drive/

That’s a helpful comparison and I agree that Google seems to have a tendency to provide multiple offerings for services that do similar things. Confusing!

I was under the mistaken impression that Photos’ limit for images was 8MP but apparently it’s 16. I wonder if they really mean MP, which is different than file size (MB).

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:42 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
I only used it once about 5 years ago and got a message from them explaining how to download my stuff, which I did. So I think if you didn't get a message, you're probably OK.
I did get the message, but as far as I could tell, it just 'downloaded' or 'prepared for download' the stuff that was on my Google Drive. But that's supposed to be safe anyhow, so I'm still kinda confused. The size matched my Google Drive, and I really didn't feel like downloading 5 GB of stuff I already have.

At any rate, the Drive stuff is all I'm concerned about, but anything important there is backed up on my local drives, it's just there for convenience and to have another off site back up. So I'm 99.999% sure I'm OK, it's just the confusion that has me that 0.001% concerned.

It's possible I played around with building a web site or blog or something as a test that might have been a part of Google Plus, but that's no loss.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:19 PM   #14

Without really knowing what I'm doing,I tried to follow the instructions on Google Plus about saving my photos from Google Plus on Google Drive. I did it twice and it ended up as 2 110MB zip files. The titles associated with the files show that most of it is my photos, not the pictures of granddaughter taken by her father which are the ones that I would want to save. I don't know why
my pictures are in archive .......I didn't knowingly put anything on Google Plus.

To view my Photos I need to unzip them, I guess. There is a zip extractor, a cloud convert, and a zip/unzip application that are offered and many more it looks like. Zip extractor wants me to sign something informing/warning me of ?? before I use it so I haven't done that yet.

Any comments about zip extractor? Safe to use,etc.

The real issue is about saving those pictures of granddaughter in Google Plus that were taken by her parents, not me. Since they apparently didn't appear in the archives, it feels like they weren't "mine" ...........I was just allowed to view them. Would I really be able to save them somehow? They are sort of on my computer in some sense...........I can view one picture representing each album w/o the wifi connection but if I try to open the album w/o wifi connection I generally can't see the other pics so does that mean they really aren't on my computer........just a link to Google Plus that needs the wifi connection.

If I do get the wifi connection and can view those pics, can they be extracted and saved? I know if I get sent an e-mail link to those pics, I can view them but if I forward that link elsewhere, the pics can't be viewed by another person.
Wondering if it's the same with the Google plus pics.......that they aren't mind and I can't extract and save them. Don't understand how this stuff works but hopefully you can understand what I'm trying to do and if it is possible.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:37 AM   #15

In Google+ the sender chooses whether to allow the receiver/viewer to have download capabilities for those photos.
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 07:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmc1000 View Post
In Google+ the sender chooses whether to allow the receiver/viewer to have download capabilities for those photos.
Thanks..........so if I created those archives on Google drive whatever showed up there would have been what was allowed by the sender (if allowed at all)
plus whatever I somehow put into Google plus??

Any comments about zip extractor which is listed first on the Google drive site..............the disclosures/warnings that you have to consent to scared me off on the first round.