Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Anyone at the march at the Capitol?
Old 01-28-2007, 03:53 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*

Jane Fonda's appearance into the fray (I'll never be able to forget her smiling on a piece of heavy artillary, with the N. Vietnamese), came during the period of time when we were fully committed to "Conscription".

The draft card burners, and trust fund babies, and some legitimate protesters were busy burning down banks, etc. etc. in Berkely.(Leaving the
war to be fought by the dis-infranched, and others that were willing to
risk life and limb, because that is what was demanded at the time.

We now have a professional military, and it is a different ball-game.

Just a rant about Jane Fonda, and what she represents to "all veterans" during the conscription days.

I would love to go to the Super Bowl, but if Jane Fonda gave me a free ticket, and I had to sit by her, I'd pass.
That photo tells it all. Scum sucking pig.

She was and is a traitor, IMHO. When she dies, send me the video. That's one film of hers that I'll buy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Fonda

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2007, 03:58 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Jane Fonda helped save American Lives by protesting the Viet Nam war.
As anybody who spoke/demonstrated against that (or the current conflict) saved lives, I agree.

However, my "personal gripe" is that she directly gave "aid and comfort to the enemy" with that stunt she pulled.

"This old vet" will never forget the manner in which she disrespected me and my country by her actions.

Damn right I'm mad - and I still remember...

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:11 PM   #23

I agree with Cut-throat. Regardless what you think of Jane Fonda's past actions, she has a right to express her opinion and protest as does any other American citizen. IMO, This president should have been impeached at least 3 years ago for his reckless and illegal actions, and now he is taunting Congress to try to stop his insane troop escalation (that will needlessly result in more American lives lost). The founding fathers gave Congress the power of the purse-string so that reckless presidents such as this one could be stopped, if necessary. In this case, it is absolutely necessary.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:15 PM   #24
gone traveling

Bush has really made a terrible mess of Iraq, say what you will about saddam, he was an A$$. So is Kim Jung Ill Castro, Amadinijan, other despots around the world. By the way Bin Laden and al Zwahiri are STILL ALIVE!!

9/11?
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:11 PM   #25

good for you donheff to rally for america's soldiers.

tonight the news featured a group of disabled vets participated in the ing miami marathon, some with half their bodies blown away in iraq.

the next time the bushes and the husseins care to squabble, they really ought to do it with their own damned fists and in their own damned backyards. there is a lot of blood on this president's hands.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:08 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Re: "Was there a pro-war march?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
There was a small counter demonstration on Constitution Avenue across from the Capitol. Just a handful of people. I can't blame pro-war people for not coming out. I joined a small counter demonstration at a pro-war Billy Graham rally at McCormick Place in Chicago in 1969 or thereabouts -- it was not a fun experience and probably did no good. Joining in with fellow travelers is a lot more comfortable.
I probably didn't comunicate very well. The point I was trying to make is that there was surely no pro-war rally. No sane person thinks war, for it's own sake, is something that should be favored. Kinda like abortion: whatever side you take on the "pro-life" vs "pro-choice" debate, virtually no one is "pro-abortion" (believing that abortion is, in itself a "good thing"). Those who support the present policy in Iraq believe that it is better than the alternative, just as those who favor abortion believe legalized abortion is better than the alternative.

Jane Fonda--She should pipe up long and loud. Since it is fashionable in some circles to draw parallels between the present fight in Iraq and our involvement in Vietnam, I think it is entirely appropriate that she, and all she stood and stands for, be on clear display for all to see. To complete the picture, I only wish others could be there to lend their voices. I wish we could hear from the 1.7 million Cambodians slaughtered in the aftermath of our departure. Or the thousands of Montagnards and those who stood by us in the ARVN and the Republic of South Vietnam who were executed after we left. They believed in the United States. We didn't even continue to provide the promised materal support after we left. These souls could give needed testimony to what "quitting the fight" can cost. Millions of lives destroyed. Jane Fonda "saved lives" --an "amazing" observation, but the tragedy of actual events robs it of all humor such irony would normally convey. Oh, there's no doubt America felt better after we left Vietnam- - "Hey, it's not on the evening news anymore, what a relief! How are the Cubs doing?"

I hope Jane is featured prominently in the movement to quit Iraq. Her mere presence will serve as an invaluable reminder that actions have consequences. Those proposing an action have a duty to consider and present the consequences. That's the number one (and, I believe, the most damning and accurate) critique of President Bush--"he started a war without considering the consequences." I do think the credibility of those proposing that we abandon the present Iraqi government and security framework would be improved if these individuals would heed their own call for a full consideration of future impacts before recommending a course of action.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fonda at 37mm AA.jpg (22.7 KB, 7 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb Fonda at 37mm AA.jpg_thumb (32.8 KB, 0 views)
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:57 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

samclem, I often don't agree with your posts. But I wanted to make a point of stating I find this post very thoughtful and well composed.

I am uncomfortable with Jane Fonda's involvement with the current anti-war movement because as someone who believes this war was a mistake, I don't want a celebrity idiot traitor giving the cause a bad name and distracting people from the greater issues. Her actions cannot be excused, but we would not have won that war had she not posed on that AA gun.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:39 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I think the greatest parallel between Viet Nam and Iraq is that we should not have gone to war in either country. The second was that both involved an ill conceived, wrongly executed plan. Samclem is correct that the consequences are on our heads. We truly abandoned the Vietnamese, I hope we don't do the same to the Iraqis. But that does not mean we should continue the war. There will be a bloody aftermath and we are morally obligated to help alleviate it as best we can and to help rebuild when things settle down. I suspect we will do neither - the increasing volume of our blame the victim rhetoric is a harbinger of that.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:05 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
That photo tells it all. Scum sucking pig.

She was and is a traitor, IMHO. When she dies, send me the video. That's one film of hers that I'll buy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Fonda
thanks for the link. I actually read the "Hanoi Jane" part. Although I've never agreed with a lot of what she did when she want over there (IMO she was a dupe and was manipulated), don't you find it interesting that she exposed the US policy of bombing Vietnamese dikes? Evidently, even the administration had to back off after video evidence was produced. Shut George H.W. Bush right up.

So what's worse--what she did or bombing the dikes, killing civilians, and then covering up and lying about it?

Your position is that exposing vile lies by your government makes you a traitor?
Old 01-29-2007, 09:15 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco
thanks for the link. I actually read the "Hanoi Jane" part. Although I've never agreed with a lot of what she did when she want over there (IMO she was a dupe and was manipulated), don't you find it interesting that she exposed the US policy of bombing Vietnamese dikes? Evidently, even the administration had to back off after video evidence was produced. Shut George H.W. Bush right up.

So what's worse--what she did or bombing the dikes, killing civilians, and then covering up and lying about it?

Your position is that exposing vile lies by your government makes you a traitor?
Why would the US want to bomb Vietnamese lesbians?

Seriously, I guess I can understand the visceral reaction of the vets of that era to Fonda, but it really seems like she made a questionable decision in the midst of an effort that was largely successful in showing up the reprehensible things the US was doing. Did she do some dumb things? Yep. Traitor? Please.

In reading the wiki thing, I was really struck by the similarities between the Iraq mess and the Viet Nam war. Many of the same cast of characters, even. I know that the chimp wasn't a good student, but didn't we learn anything?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:39 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345

Seriously, I guess I can understand the visceral reaction of the vets of that era to Fonda, but...
Brewer, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on this one.

Unless you had a son, husband, brother, other relative, friend or fellow aircrew member involved in combat in Vietnam at the time, you cannot truly understand the feeling of betrayal by the vets of that era to the actions of Miss Fonda.

I'm not trying to pick a fight or to argue we were right or wrong to be involved in that war. I'm only making the point that some things have to be experienced to be fully understood.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:46 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
I'm not trying to pick a fight or to argue we were right or wrong to be involved in that war. I'm only making the point that some things have to be experienced to be fully understood.
Like I said, "I guess I can understand..." Intended to mean that I think I can at least fathom why vets might be instantly enraged by even the mention of her name. That sort of reaction happens, but it doesn't exactly spawn dispassionate analysis of the past.

Personally, if I had been around and of draftable age around then, better than even odds I would be ending my sentences with "eh" these days. So I cannot claim any special insight into the views of those who were willing to go.

- George Orwell

Old 01-29-2007, 10:06 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

It's like a white person giving a speech at the NAACP at dropping the "N" bomb. It really doesn't matter if he or she made excellent points in the speech or if every other word was true and could be backed up with data. He/She has made themselves persona non grata for such a large portion of the populace, their presence going forward will drown out any rational debate on the issue.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:19 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345

Personally, if I had been around and of draftable age around then, better than even odds I would be ending my sentences with "eh" these days. So I cannot claim any special insight into the views of those who were willing to go.

That seals the deal for me. Absolutely, without doubt, so help me God, I'll never post anything on this board again re: Politics, or Military.
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:31 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*
That seals the deal for me. Absolutely, without doubt, so help me God, I'll never post anything on this board again re: Politics, or Military.
Would that I could stick to the same rule, JH.

- George Orwell

Old 01-29-2007, 10:55 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Didnt the vietnamese engagement (along with a few other over-extensions) lead, in part, to the financial collapse of the soviet union?

I remember reading a pretty well thought out paper that claimed that a lot of these situations were put in place and continued to over extend the FSU's precarious economy.

If theres any truth to that (and gee, it seems to have worked out that way) then perhaps these historic 'meaningless' wars may have averted an eventual face off between the two superpowers. Which might have been far more costly.

In fact, another of our alleged orchestrations in this vein has in part led to the iraqi situation. Our puppet, the shah of iran, was propped up in part to fight the soviet influenced area states like iraq and force them to expend more resources than they'd have liked. Our influence in iran was a major cause of the islamic revolution there.

Doesnt it seem like everything we touch turns to **** but over time it all seems to work out?

Whats that saying about drunks, fools and the united states of america?

What was really a boatload of fun was going back 2-3 years and reading all the iraqi war threads here. The folks who all but stated what has happened would happen; the folks who steadfastly assured them that this would not be the case; contrasting the posts people made then vs what they're saying now.

Real interesting stuff.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:09 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

I thought it was the USSR's involvement in Afghanistan, along with Chernobyl that tipped them over the brink. I saw a special that documented how many different ways Russia was hurt by the nuclear meltdown. For example, they lost just about every experienced pilot due to flyovers to close to the site (they all cooked over the next few weeks). While they tried to limit the amount of time regular soldiers spent there, shoveling and covering the meltdown, the senior officers spent too much time there. Their best engineers had to tunnel in from the side to entinguish the fire because it was melting through the bedrock and threatened to poision the water table for about a third of the Soviet people. They succeeded, but paid heavily for the exposure.

The conservatives at my work are already blaming the press and the liberals for the loss of this war. "If we just sent more troops, just a little longer, stay the course, don't lose your will, we'll show them we have the stomache for losses" etc.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:52 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

What was that old line from SNL? "Jane, you ignorant slut!"?
Old 01-29-2007, 11:55 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Well, that was the focus of the stuff I was reading...that the "downfall" didnt just happen all at once...it was a 30-35 year protracted economic 'battle' between the FSU and the US, and they were forced to try to match our spending when their core economy simply couldnt do it. It started with cuba and vietnam and proceeded downhill from there.

The biggest alleged speedbump was reagans "star wars" proposal which in essence told them "nice job building all those trillions in bombers and missiles, at the expense of feeding your people. Now with a little technology we might be able to knock it all out of the sky". Widely viewed as a stupid suggestion from a leader a little light in the brain area, its now looked at as a real tripping point.

The crap in afghanistan and the chechnya situation just finished them off. Hadnt really ever read much on the full impact of chernobyl but now I will. Thanks. My afternoon is now well accounted for.

We wont "win" the war in iraq, at least not in the traditional sense, and nobody with half a brain in their head and a decent education in regional politics would ever think there was a chance. Like all the past conquerors, we'll leave and things will go back to the way they've always been. Hopefully.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:05 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Unless you had a son, husband, brother, other relative, friend or fellow aircrew member involved in combat in Vietnam at the time, you cannot truly understand the feeling of betrayal by the vets of that era to the actions of Miss Fonda.
25+ years ago at USNA we spent a lot of time with former POWs-- VADM Lawrence, VADM Stockdale and Paul Galanti were regulars.

You didn't want to bring Jane's name into any situation. Nor Robert McNamara's.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote