Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone at the march at the Capitol?
Old 01-27-2007, 12:45 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Anyone at the march at the Capitol?

DW and I walked down to the Mall and joined the anti-war rally and march up Capitol Hill. It was a much more multi-generational crowd than the counterparts 3-4 decades ago. There was a big contingent of youth; a lot of families; a huge contingent of boomers; and a fair number of truly ancient marchers. The crowd was friendly and enthusiastic, the speeches were relics of 40 years ago. There was a very small counter-demonstration adjacent to the Capitol. I will leave it to the news to estimate the size -- I would guess 200-250K.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Anyone at the march at the Capitol?
Old 01-27-2007, 03:05 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I listened to the whole thing on C-Span. It was very inspiring and it's nice to know that there are some good people still left in this world. I would like to see the activism and matches of the 60s come back. We need a revolution and a lot of pressure to bring some sanity back to this country.
ADJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 04:55 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

glad to hear you made it out there. i read that the guesstimated turnout was under 100k.

any reports that have a difinitive number i wonder?

if i was close to Dc i would've gone. that stuff is what america is all about. i love it. just wish he someone would listen
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 05:06 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Good for you! Many sacrifices have been made by those who gave all to protect our right to free speech. Those who excercise that right honor them. Keep it up, you are an example of what is best in this country.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 05:47 PM   #5

Thank you, Donheff. If Michigan was a little closer to D.C., I would have joined you. This insanity has to stop. I have been writing my Senators and Rep's about every other day lately to urge them to do whatever they can to stop this insane troop escalation and bring our servicemen and women home. There is no military solution to this mess this president has gotten us into.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 05:52 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I haven't watched any news tonight. I had heard that Jane Fonda was to be a speaker. I wonder what the comments were about her presence? To me, even tho' I've opposed the invasion of Iraq from the start, there was just something unsettling about her being a voice of opposition to this war. I know she has "apologized" for her Viet Nam antics, but still...... I think she should have stayed home.

Every step of the journey is the journey.
Bram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 06:03 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's good to see democracy in action. I applaud it. I hope it will help. But I don't think one day will get the attention it deserves. People have to leave as there are more films to be made, book deals to work out, companies to run and who wants to get fired from a good job over it? Problem is life is still good in America for many that show up to these events and until overall life turns to crap for the majority of Americans (or the death toll reaches Vietnam era numbers over 50,000), you won't see real protests that sustain.
Sad but true in my opinion.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 06:21 PM   #8

I'm glad to hear you did that, Donheff. Most of us just think about it, but don't actually act. There were some local rallies around here, too.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:52 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Good on 'ya for exercising your rights. It's great to live in a country where we hold freedom of expression so dear. I think most Americans want all ideas to be heard, and that's not as common a trait as I'd thought before I spent time at some discussion boards with a large number of non-US participants. Even some of the European democracies ban "hate speech," etc. The crazier the idea is, the more I want it (and its proponents) to be on full display. (That's a general comment, not related to the anti-war march)

Was there a pro-war march? Probably not. Almost nobody is in favor of war. Unless there's something worse. History has provided a lot of examples of things that are worse. Which is why we have wars, I suppose, since any war requires that both sides believe that the alternative is worse than the war.

Regarding Jane Fonda: I think having her at this rally would be appropriate. Surely we don't want to hamper anyone's freedom of speech.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fonda_at_AAA.jpg (9.2 KB, 8 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb Fonda_at_AAA.jpg_thumb (30.1 KB, 0 views)
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 08:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram
I had heard that Jane Fonda was to be a speaker. I wonder what the comments were about her presence? To me, even tho' I've opposed the invasion of Iraq from the start, there was just something unsettling about her being a voice of opposition to this war. I know she has "apologized" for her Viet Nam antics, but still...... I think she should have stayed home.
I still ain't "Fonda Jane"....never will be!

I am glad for the march though!!! I say "Bring 'em home!!! NOW!!!"

Attached Images
File Type: jpg bring them home now.jpg (18.3 KB, 6 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb bring them home now.jpg_thumb (13.1 KB, 0 views)
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:27 PM   #11

Good for you for going and joining in the march!! I was just thinking today that
that's the kind of thing I would like to do in a couple of years when I can be more spntaneous about my life!! Picking up and flying across country is rather difficult to do at the moment. The job tends to get in the way of such things.
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 10:04 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Jane Fonda, needs a lobotmy! I'll do it, No Charge!'

Viet Nam Vet
Sundance Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 10:05 PM   #13
gone traveling

Sure go march, but we need to hunt down every last one of the animals that went thru the camps with bin laden in afghanistan. Americans better understand this, Iraq is a mistake and Bush and company should be impeached for it.

Now enough of the vietnam cumbaya garbage, bringing out jane fonda and jessie jackson. bin laden and his ilk would kill them also.

Saddam, now dead was NOT the issue, but GW is such a foolish man and was given very bad info.

Like an abusive husband he says one more time I promise, sending in more troops.

Good luck.

But the troops we send anyplace should be undercover and hunting down those islamic monsters who trained with bin laden, they should disappear in the night all over the world. That is the type of warfare we should be using now. even deep inside Iran if need be.

Iraq wrong place wrong war.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:22 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem

Was there a pro-war march? Probably not.
There was a small counter demonstration on Constitution Avenue across from the Capitol. Just a handful of people. I can't blame pro-war people for not coming out. I joined a small counter demonstration at a pro-war Billy Graham rally at McCormick Place in Chicago in 1969 or thereabouts -- it was not a fun experience and probably did no good. Joining in with fellow travelers is a lot more comfortable.
Quote:
Regarding Jane Fonda: I think having her at this rally would be appropriate. Surely we don't want to hamper anyone's freedom of speech.
In her speech she actually referred to that fact that she has stifled her own speech on Iraq until now. She recognizes that there is still a lot of anger toward her from Viet Nam vets and didn't want to be a distraction. But she said something along the lines that things have gotten so bad that "we can no longer remain silent."
Old 01-28-2007, 07:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
She recognizes that there is still a lot of anger toward her from Viet Nam vets
Yes...

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
She recognizes that there is still a lot of anger toward her from Viet Nam vets and didn't want to be a distraction.
When I joined this forum, about 3 years ago, I promised my wife that I wouldn't get involved in any discussions re: politics, or military. (She reads the forum from time to time, so I'll state ahead of time, "Sorry Dear".

The mention of Jane Fonda, and what she represented at the time goes beyond the "Vietnam Vets". It includes all veterans.

My family, like a lot of families during the conscription days paid a high price, as did a lot of folks.

My immigrant gradmother lost her only two sons in WW2. One in the Army at the "Battle of the Bulge", and the other, a Marine at Guadalcanal.

My youngest brother, a gifted athlete, lost his left leg above the knee in Vietnam.

I was close in Korea, but they got me patched up after 5 days in a Mash Unit, and two weeks at Balboa Naval Hospital in San Diego.

What has that got to do with the price of Tea? (And the strong feelings that most veterans have about Jane Fonda?)

Jane Fonda's appearance into the fray (I'll never be able to forget her smiling on a piece of heavy artillary, with the N. Vietnamese), came during the period of time when we were fully committed to "Conscription".

The draft card burners, and trust fund babies, and some legitimate protesters were busy burning down banks, etc. etc. in Berkely.(Leaving the
war to be fought by the dis-infranched, and others that were willing to
risk life and limb, because that is what was demanded at the time.

We now have a professional military, and it is a different ball-game.

Just a rant about Jane Fonda, and what she represents to "all veterans" during the conscription days.

I would love to go to the Super Bowl, but if Jane Fonda gave me a free ticket, and I had to sit by her, I'd pass.

Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*
Jane Fonda's appearance into the fray (I'll never be able to forget her smiling on a piece of heavy artillary, with the N. Vietnamese), came during the period of time when we were fully committed to "Conscription".
Amen...

I also remember the demonstrators who were there to "welcome" me home, when I flew in fron Nam to the "world" back on September 12, 1969.

Damn the war, but support our troops (in my day, if you didn't want to "particapate" you "fled" to Canada")

I certainly did not "believe" in Nam, once I got there, but in my mind, I "did my job" to the best of my abilities. I didn't deserve the "abuse" I received once I returned.

Sorry for ranting - I guess the wine is getting to me, early this Sunday morning.

God bless our troops, and bring them home safe to their loved ones....

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*
The mention of Jane Fonda, and what she represented at the time goes beyond the "Vietnam Vets". It includes all veterans..........

..........Just a rant about Jane Fonda, and what she represents to "all veterans" during the conscription days.

I would love to go to the Super Bowl, but if Jane Fonda gave me a free ticket, and I had to sit by her, I'd pass.
Somebody is selling "Hanoi Jane's Urinal Targets" on ebay......I remember seeing them in the men's room at several places around here, years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jane Fonda Urinal Sticker.jpg (7.3 KB, 7 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb Jane Fonda Urinal Sticker.jpg_thumb (27.7 KB, 0 views)
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 12:18 PM   #19

Seems like a pretty small turnout.
Quote:
United for Peace and Justice, a coalition group sponsoring the protest, had hoped 100,000 would come. They claimed even more afterward, but police, who no longer give official estimates, said privately the crowd was smaller than 100,000.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:41 PM   #20

I hold our current president in much lower regard than anyone here has for Jane Fonda. Jane Fonda helped save American Lives by protesting the Viet Nam war.

Bush has racked up over 3,000 dead Americans in the Iraq War!