Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-16-2010, 03:27 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
The fear of a huge uninsured medical expense keeps me chained to the work world, for cheap health insurance. Hats off those brave souls who "go naked" and retire early without health insurance.
I've said something like this many times already in the short time I've been on this board: I count my blessings that I'm in Europe. Having health care out of the equation means that we can think much more freely about FIRE. (It seems to me that it's actually such a huge component of the calculation for US residents, that it makes it harder for non-Americans to relate to some of the discussions which take place here. )
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2010, 03:53 AM   #22

It is normal to have these feelings sometimes. Like you I *think* I will retire in 2012, hoping I will make it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwoodt View Post
Is it me, or is it just natural when you get close to retirement to start thinking that you won't make it?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:07 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Health is good, knock on wood, so that hasn't been a major worry. But I'm ready to FIRE, and it's getting harder to be a tortoise...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:46 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
I've said something like this many times already in the short time I've been on this board: I count my blessings that I'm in Europe. Having health care out of the equation means that we can think much more freely about FIRE. (It seems to me that it's actually such a huge component of the calculation for US residents, that it makes it harder for non-Americans to relate to some of the discussions which take place here. )

I checked private health care rates 6 months ago, and just recently checked on them again. The premiums have already increased due to the health care reform and the changes already put in place, and the insurance companies will tell you that.

They can no longer deny people coverage when they get sick, or to children who have preexisting conditions, and no lifetime caps on coverage. All of which seem like basic rights that every human being should already have!

You are indeed very lucky if you do not have to worry about health care coverage!
Old 09-16-2010, 09:48 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSense View Post
Same here. It's really a struggle for me to stay productive in my job & not go crazy. In terms of longevity, I have it on both sides, so my worry is more about living to over 100 and too old to take care of myself, let alone enjoy it. I guess we always worry about SOMETHING.
I don't have to struggle to avoid going crazy, but I do think my motivation & attitude are slipping as I see retirement coming closer and closer. I find myself thinking and sometimes saying, "if there is a layoff, I will just retire earlier than I had planned, maybe that will save someone else's job", or "even though I'm planning to work a couple more years, I could really afford to retire as soon as I turn 55 (next January)", or "if housing prices drop any significant amount from where they are now, I will just pull the plug, because if my house goes much lower I won't be sure to realize enough on its sale to replace it in my new location, and I'm not going to delay my retirement for heaven knows how long waiting for prices to come back up". It's almost like I'm looking for a good excuse to bail. I never thought I would get "Shorteimer's Syndrome" but I think that's what this is. If it gets really bad and I feel like I'm not earning my paycheck, I'm outta there....or maybe that is just one more good excuse to retire sooner rather than later.

I'm not much worried about living to 100. All my estimates are based on the assumption that I will, because my parents and aunts are all in their mid-to-upper eighties and still kicking, and there was a centenarian in my grandparent's generation, a half-sister or cousin of my dad's mother. Most of my retirement income is lifelong—pension & Social Security—and I am thinking of maybe buying an SPIA for the little remaining amount with part of my tax-deferred money. Then whatever is left could be divided between an emergency fund and some earmarked for luxuries, and I think then I wouldn't worry about becoming destitute even if I do live longer than I expect to, though I might have to do without the luxuries.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:23 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Is it me, or is it just natural when you get close to retirement to start thinking that you won't make it?
Your inner engineer is trying to tell you to hope for the best while planning for the worst.

Get a retirement checklist and start working on it. You'll feel more productive and you might actually find a few things that you've overlooked, or that have become more of an issue.

But, yeah, as I approached ER I tended to drive more cautiously, to drink less, and to generally behave as if I was going to be enjoying another five or six decades of life beyond work...

Once you ER you'll start having flashbacks & nightmares about being called back to work. (They eventually stop happening. The flashbacks & nightmares, I mean.) The nice thing about those episodes is that you can take a nap later!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:27 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Get a retirement checklist and start working on it.
Yup - like this one: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post387098
Old 09-16-2010, 11:11 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

What... me worry?

Funny... when I worked for myself I thought I'd never retire and now I can't wait. That has made me worry a lot more about making it to retirement age (whatever that is...) Sure wish Mom would let me retire

Age 50, DW is 54, 1.4M split 25 Stock, 40 Mutual Funds, 25 Bonds, 5 Commodities, 5 REIT. Own Home, no debts.
Automatika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:59 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I had a "run screaming into the night" retirement at age 54. I really think I would have had a stroke if I had waited for 'full retirement age'.

Hi Khan,

May I ask if that "run screaming into the night" feeling suddenly appeared at age 54? Or did you feel a gradual burn out for several years before that? How long after that feeling that you handed it your notice?
Retire2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:59 PM   #30
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire2014 View Post
Hi Khan,

May I ask if that "run screaming into the night" feeling suddenly appeared at age 54? Or did you feel a gradual burn out for several years before that? How long after that feeling that you handed it your notice?
It was not too bad for years as a cube rat programmer.
Then they reorganized and made me a manager.
My health (which had been marginal) went downhill.
About two years later after carefully studying all options, I applied for an early retirement in August, it was approved in November, I retired at the end of December.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:16 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've decided to work for 23 more months until I qualify at 55 for retiree health insurance.

Does anyone else have the feeling that something bad may happen to you just as you are about to start enjoying life?
Yeah.

Like an earlier poster said, I feel like I will retire on the way to the mortuary.

I see no end to work right now. We could retire to Mexico today, but that is only our Plan C. Plan A is work until I drop. The only thing death means to me is I wouldn't have to go to work the next day.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:10 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
The only thing death means to me is I wouldn't have to go to work the next day.
Better be careful not to work alone... especially anywhere your remains wouldn't be discovered for a while!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:41 AM   #33

Quote:
(snip). The only thing death means to me is I wouldn't have to go to work the next day.
Only if you have submitted, in triplicate, a COMPLETELY filled out absence request, signed by your immediate supervisor and initialed by your department head, at least thirty days in advance. Failure to complete the required paperwork will be considered grounds for disciplinary action.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:17 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

A friendly accountant at a job long ago told me that the company had a personnel status category called 'part-time deceased'.

IIRC, it meant someone who had died during the year. As opposed to midnight Dec 31, I suppose.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:18 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Better be careful not to work alone... especially anywhere your remains wouldn't be discovered for a while!
Don't give me any ideas, Nords!
Old 09-18-2010, 10:12 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I don't think I ever had the anxiety the OP had, but at times in the 6-12 months leading up to my ER I was often muttering to myself, "Why am I still working here?" and "When am I gonna be able to end this?"

As the final pieces fell into place in the last few months, those questions intensified. But once I gave my notice one month before I left, I happily stopped asking myself those questions.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:28 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Never had any anxiety about not making it. Now we're FI but not retired. My greater worry all along has been outliving my nest egg when I do retire, still is and probably always will be...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:06 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah.

Like an earlier poster said, I feel like I will retire on the way to the mortuary.

I see no end to work right now. We could retire to Mexico today, but that is only our Plan C. Plan A is work until I drop. The only thing death means to me is I wouldn't have to go to work the next day.
I know you have an answer to this conundrum that you prefer not to share, but as you keep posting this sentiment it makes me wonder what is really going on.

Is it really better to work until you die than to move to Mexico while you are still young enough to have some shot at adapting well?

I can tell you one thing for absolute sure- Mexico is more fun than Ft. McMurray.

Ha
Old 09-18-2010, 07:12 PM   #39
Dryer sheet wannabe

Shoot - I can remember when I was much younger thinking that I would never make it to 21 years of age! Then, experiencing cancer in my late 30's - I just feel like every day is an added bonus. I'm sure you deserve all that is good - and you worked hard to get to this point - so I hope you can just enjoy it and not worry!
KanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:55 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Is it really better to work until you die than to move to Mexico while you are still young enough to have some shot at adapting well?
It is not my call, Ha.

Quote:
I can tell you one thing for absolute sure- Mexico is more fun than Ft. McMurray.
How well I know!