Join Early Retirement Today

camry hybrid
Old 05-17-2009, 06:28 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

camry hybrid

We just bought a Camry hybrid for my wife. She drives about 75 miles round trip each day. She has to entertain a bit at work and wanted leather and "features." Needless to say, I'm the only one in the household reading this board.

Anyway. She wanted a hybrid for miles and still something big enough to get the two kids in when need be. I stay home, so I drive an Odyssey as our primary family car.

At this point, I'm afraid I have a deep rooted Honda/Toyota bias, and I limited her to that. We did look at the insight, and I was really hoping it was the one. Great mileage and a honda. In the end, it just didn't have the "bling" she was looking for. She had driven her '97 civic to 200k and wanted a nicer car.

By my numbers she'll be making money on the hybrid in about 8 yrs, IF gas prices remain at today's numbers through that period. If they go higher, it'll come sooner.

The camry is a bigger car, and with all the electronic crap in it, I sure hope it holds out for 10-12 yrs. I must say, this is not your/my grandma's camry. This thing is a nice car. Maybe I'm just used to driving cars into the gound, but all this bluetooth and nav and MPG monitoring, keyless entry and start tech is pretty fun.

I'm enjoying learning how to use all the junk. It's also very comfortable, and quiet.

Oh, and beyond all the math and variables...she's really happy with her new car. I coudn't get this out of the prius, insight, or accord. In the end, the hybrid, leather, kids combination brought the camry to the top.

devo

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2009, 06:51 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DW got a Camry Hybrid in 2007, she absolutely loves it.

I will most likely buy a 2010 Prius which will make us a two hybrid car family, but I drove a 2010 Insight EX earlier this week. The reviews seemed to conclude:
  • pros - as lowest cost high mileage hybrid, sporty handling, good value
  • cons - rougher/noisier than the Prius, not a good long trip car.
After driving it, I was pleasantly surprised with the Insight. It was much quieter, smoother than I expected after the online reviews. It's only noisy at very high speeds or if you jump on the gas, but why would a potential hybrid buyer drive it like that? I am sure you can do better, but the highest mileage I saw on the dash was high 39 mpg even though I drove it very conservatively (the dash was glowing green at the time).

I will probably still buy the Prius because I want more features and the Prius is of equal or better value IMHO for what you get. The Prius is larger, quieter, more comfortable, better appointed and still gets higher (EPA) mileage than the Insight.

But the Insight is a real contender IMO and I hope they both sell well.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:03 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
We just bought a Camry hybrid for my wife. She drives about 75 miles round trip each day. She has to entertain a bit at work and wanted leather and "features." Needless to say, I'm the only one in the household reading this board.

Anyway. She wanted a hybrid for miles and still something big enough to get the two kids in when need be. I stay home, so I drive an Odyssey as our primary family car.

At this point, I'm afraid I have a deep rooted Honda/Toyota bias, and I limited her to that. We did look at the insight, and I was really hoping it was the one. Great mileage and a honda. In the end, it just didn't have the "bling" she was looking for. She had driven her '97 civic to 200k and wanted a nicer car.

By my numbers she'll be making money on the hybrid in about 8 yrs, IF gas prices remain at today's numbers through that period. If they go higher, it'll come sooner.

The camry is a bigger car, and with all the electronic crap in it, I sure hope it holds out for 10-12 yrs. I must say, this is not your/my grandma's camry. This thing is a nice car. Maybe I'm just used to driving cars into the gound, but all this bluetooth and nav and MPG monitoring, keyless entry and start tech is pretty fun.

I'm enjoying learning how to use all the junk. It's also very comfortable, and quiet.

Oh, and beyond all the math and variables...she's really happy with her new car. I coudn't get this out of the prius, insight, or accord. In the end, the hybrid, leather, kids combination brought the camry to the top.

devo
I'm curious. What is your projected future maintenance on that hybrid? Making money on it in 8yrs. Im impressed!
Old 05-17-2009, 11:27 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

NML,
You likely know more about this stuff than I do. I used these numbers from motor trend and I projected triple this amount for the second five years. But my understanding of Toyota's warranty is 8yrs/100,000 on all hybrid components, and 10 yrs on the batteries themselves. So I didn't account for much in the way of maintenance specifically for hybrid vs. conventional. Maybe I messed up there...don't know.

Motor Trend Camry Hybrid

Toyota's Warranty Page

devo
Old 05-18-2009, 09:40 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

The Insight is too small for me.

I don't like the look of the Camry hybrid, so not to that.

The Prius look is ok, but still a little weird

The Ford Fusion hybrid is SHARP, probably the only one I would consider if I went down that road.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Breaking news...
Old 05-18-2009, 09:59 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Breaking news...

Toyota rolled out the 2010 Prius in Japan today. Its US MSRP will be $22,000 when released in June, with a more basic model coming later in the year.

Interesting to hear Toyota referred to as "the world's largest automaker".

The Associated Press: Toyota rolls out new Prius amid hybrid price war
Old 05-18-2009, 10:52 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Insight & Prius head to head.....

Also check out Motor Trend:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...=prius+insight