Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-30-2013, 08:37 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
I don't have my recipe book with me now, but this one looks like it is closest to it.

Rhubarb Pie - Rhubarb Pie Recipe

One thing I should point out is that rhubarb leaves are poisonous, so make sure you have them cut off.
That's a new one on me. Never heard that. Another one I found out about is Oleander. Everything on that plant is poisonous, leaves and flowers.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2013, 08:39 PM   #22

When I was a kid, my buddy and I used to eat rhubarb fresh, right out of the garden. The neighbor's garden, actually. Well, until they yelled at us and called our parents. That was back in the day when you could yell at someone else's kid, and the parent sided with the other adult. You know, the good old days.

But yeah, the pie, with all that added sugar? Not sour enough, but I'll still take a slice!

Old 05-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I only had it a few times years ago and did not care for it.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:24 PM   #24

There are other pies I like better!
Old 05-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #25

I can't believe people here are just discovering rhubarb. Strawberry & rhubarb crisp is my simple goto dessert. I was just in New York City and had some delicious black sesame & rhubarb ice cream. I've been making gelato for years. It's been a while since I've made a rhubarb gelato but my NYC experience has inspired me again.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:19 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

I like it. We used to have a rhubarb plant in the garden when I was a kid and my mom made some really good rhubarb pie and sauce.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:49 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I love rhubarb pie but I have never made it from scratch. I must give it a try soon as rhubarb is already in season. I like it with strawberries as the contrast of sweet and sour is delicious. Hot, with a scoop of vanilla icecream on top. MMMMM!
Old 05-30-2013, 11:44 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ1_ View Post
LOVED IT! My mom use to make it.
Unfortunately it is one of those things I had to gave up in 2004 when I found out I was insulin resistance.
Me too. I grew up on the stuff, as it's out of the ground when not much else is. It's not the same, but you can make a pretty nice rhubarb or rhubarb-strawberry sauce with artificial sweetener. I use a liquid product called "Better Stevia". It won't give you the body or preservative qualities of sugar, but if you are dealing with insulin resistance it is pretty darn good. I just cook it, chill it, and add plenty thick whip[ping cream at the table.

Ha
Old 05-30-2013, 11:46 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
When I was a kid, my buddy and I used to eat rhubarb fresh, right out of the garden. The neighbor's garden, actually. Well, until they yelled at us and called our parents. That was back in the day when you could yell at someone else's kid, and the parent sided with the other adult. You know, the good old days.

But yeah, the pie, with all that added sugar? Not sour enough, but I'll still take a slice!
Man, you are hard-core. That stuff is so bitter it's astringent.

Ha
Old 05-30-2013, 11:51 PM   #30

Quote:
Wondering if anyone else here likes homemade rhubarb pie. It has a unique taste, but is really good.

Love it. Rhubarb brings up so many childhood memories for me. My friends and I used to walk near these two old sisters property on an old dirt road. They had horses and rhubarb. Drove past it a few years ago showing the Dw the area. An updated farm house with no rhubarb patch. But I got my rhubarb memories still intact
Old 05-31-2013, 02:15 AM   #31

Another rhubarb pie lover here. Grew up loving it, and these days it is one of those "comfort foods" to me (and DW).
Old 05-31-2013, 05:28 AM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

Love it! My bride makes the best strawberry rhubarb pie that our entire family loves. When I was a kid I also remember eating it freshly picked from the garden, that's' pucker power-
Old 05-31-2013, 10:49 AM   #33

We just had one!
It has layers of pie dough, rhubarb pieces, pie crumbs and then a top layer with almond slices and caramel.
Soooo good, especially with a dash of whipped cream.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:52 AM   #34

I've never had rhubarb pie, but I LOVE rhubarb/apple pie!

And I've been trying to grow rhubarb in my yard for the past several years, with very little success.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #35

I love the straight rhubarb pie (not so much for the blends).
DW can do without all of them, unfortunately.

-gauss
Old 05-31-2013, 11:54 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
I love the straight rhubarb pie (not so much for the blends).
DW can do without all of them, unfortunately.

-gauss
I prefer it straight rhubarb too. For me it harkens back to my grandparents who had little to spare so when we visited, Grandma cooked up things like rhubarb from the backyard. I'm sure if they had grown strawberries her pies would have had them too and then that would have been my favorite.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:59 AM   #37

Quote:
Wondering if anyone else here likes homemade rhubarb pie. It has a unique taste, but is really good.
Yes, I grew up on it. My mom had an incredibly coveted recipe. When she passed, we thought the recipe had been lost. In the oddest of coincidences, ten years later, we met a neighbor of ours (25 miles from where Mom lived) whom she had met years before and given a copy of the recipe to -- in her own handwriting (bit of an emotional shock & joy rolled into one).

Unfortunately, the recipe used a lot of sugar, which I have to avoid now.

There's also something in the variety & growing conditions of the rhubarb. We had 75 year old plants that originated with my paternal grandparents. They produced thick (full 1" dia.) tender stalks better than any I've ever seen/tried anywhere.

Tyro
Old 05-31-2013, 03:19 PM   #38

I love it too - one of my "seasonal" joys. DW makes a good pie and then we have friends that come over to pick some and often end up sharing their creations with us. She also cooks it as a side dish.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:40 PM   #39

When I was a kid my grandparents had a huge patch of Rhubarb in the yard. When I would mow their lawn I would eat the stuff raw with a little salt. It was great.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:55 PM   #40

Love it! DW just made a pie a few days ago. It has been a couple of years. I guess I must be living right.

Pie for strength!