Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone else notice cost-cutting changes in food products we buy?
Old 04-20-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Anyone else notice cost-cutting changes in food products we buy?

I bought some Kentucky Fried Chicken today and was looking at their butter packet, which used to be labeled "butter." Now it's "buttery spread." Lord only knows what's in that.
And KFC's honey--which used to be real honey--is now "honey sauce," which, if you look on the ingredients is really high fructose corn syrup, sugar and then some honey, and more corn syrup. Mmmmm...yummy.....just like the bee's used to make.
So, I'm wondering what other fast food places (and food stuffs) are doing these cost cutting measures surely brought on by this recession, since even KFC must be feeling the impact of the downturn? Hmmm...some food for thought, eh?
I see that KFC hasn't lowered their prices at all, tho....just their quality.
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You mean like trying to use an old pasta recipe calling for a 32 ounce jar of sauce when all the jars are 26 ounces now?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's all around us. I saw a report on CN* where the food companies did a poll and said that the general public "wanted smaller containers of food for the same price".
Oh well, get used to it cause they aren't about to reverse that trend.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:35 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

Aww c'mon. The Government has said there is no such thing as inflation....
billin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by billin View Post
That's true Billin because those packages are not inflating at all. In fact they're deflating.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:38 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by billin View Post
Yeah, the gummint probably like this sort of thing as it represents of form of "stealth inflation" that won't show up in the CPI.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 04-20-2010, 09:03 PM   #7
gone traveling

I have definitely noticed it. I was at Costco the other day, and they had cut the bales of toilet paper down to 144 rolls... and the cheesecake only weighed 6 lbs...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:17 PM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

Toilet paper is no longer wide enough to fit in the rollerless springloaded holder! almost 3/4" shorter!
Babeebloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:19 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

there's like a 3/4 gallon jug of milk now which as an option over 1 gallon
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:04 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
You mean like trying to use an old pasta recipe calling for a 32 ounce jar of sauce when all the jars are 26 ounces now?
That's OK. A lot of pasta packages are down to 12 or 14 ounces from 16.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
there's like a 3/4 gallon jug of milk now which as an option over 1 gallon
Ah. That explains the shrinking 1/2 gallon of ice cream....
Old 04-21-2010, 06:37 AM   #12
Administrator

Well, there’s Breyer’s Ice Cream, which only puts 1.75 quarts in the ˝ Gallon package.
They also managed to introduce a lower fat product without affecting the taste at all – by reducing the serving size.

Back in the day, recently moved to NY, we had bottled water delivered. The bottler changed the bottle size from 6 gal to 5 gal but left the price per bottle unchanged. I called to complain, saying “what's with the giant price increase and no notification”. She said - “what price increase? We left the price unchanged”. I said “the price per gallon just went up 20% and you didn’t say a thing” to which she replied “no, the price is the same but they understood that some people insisted on seeing things in a negative way” to which I said “I’m sorry I’m wasting your time, please cancel”.

What bothers me isn’t so much that companies make these changes on the sly but that they treat us like we are too stupid to understand what’s really happening.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:53 AM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
And KFC's honey--which used to be real honey--is now "honey sauce," which, if you look on the ingredients is really high fructose corn syrup, sugar and then some honey, and more corn syrup. Mmmmm...yummy.....just like the bee's used to make.
So, I'm wondering what other fast food places (and food stuffs) are doing these cost cutting measures surely brought on by this recession, since even KFC must be feeling the impact of the downturn? Hmmm...some food for thought, eh?
I see that KFC hasn't lowered their prices at all, tho....just their quality.
That stuff is pretty nasty. My BIL is a food scientist - used to work for a group that makes that stuff to spec for the food companies. Gave me a class one morning on the chemisty of HFCS and how the body can't break it down. I didn't follow the whole lecture but did walk away with one thought - if the people that make it think it's not good for ya', maybe the rest of us should stay away from it.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:12 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

This is funny since last night my mother and I were talking and she said that the tuna can has been reduced from 6 oz to 5 oz... I had not noticed.. but I have not bought any in awhile...

I do know that candy (this is my weakness) has gone from 16 oz, to 14 oz, to some 12 and some 11.5... to a few with only 10.5 ozs with the same package size...

I am not into coffee, but that has gone down as much...

I would bet that cereal is a big 'loser'....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:36 AM   #15

The other day Kroger put the 40 count Melitta #4 coffee filters on sale 2 for $3.99.
The 100 count box was on the next lower shelf at the regular price of $3.99.

They must think we are stupid.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:03 PM   #16

Ice cream at 1.5 quarts per half gallon is my main annoyance.

Although I see tuna is down to 5 oz in the grocery store, it is up to 7 oz at Costco! I haven't compared the price/oz lately though.

Maple syrup was the earliest thing I remember using substitute ingredients for the real thing, probably 45 years ago or more. Nothing new.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
Ice cream at 1.5 quarts per half gallon is my main annoyance.

Although I see tuna is down to 5 oz in the grocery store, it is up to 7 oz at Costco! I haven't compared the price/oz lately though.

Maple syrup was the earliest thing I remember using substitute ingredients for the real thing, probably 45 years ago or more. Nothing new.
My bottom line: I am grateful for Costco! The toilet paper (their brand) is consistent and big rolls, the pasta sauce is still in 32 oz jars and the coffee is a 3 pound can that weighs 3 pounds.

Yes - I have noticed (the 7 oz. tuna at Costco is still cheaper, I think).

Costco has real maple syrup, very cheap compared to the little bottles.

The other thing is ice cream, jam, and soft drinks with high fructose corn syrup instead of sugar. Stick to sugar, that's my philosophy. And real butter... It just tastes better.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:12 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker25 View Post
Stick to sugar, that's my philosophy.
Agreed. Sugar gets a bad rap, perhaps deservedly so when consumed excessively, but it's infinitely better than that high fructose crap that seems to be everywhere today.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm actually happy that ice-cream went to 1.5 quarts. I don't eat it very much, and it would always get stale & like candle wax after a while, sitting in the cheap containers. Now the container will fit in a one-gallon freezer bag and last 3 times as long. Wife drinks so much milk I wish they'd start supplying it in 5-gallon buckets.
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:22 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payin-the-Toll View Post
I'm actually happy that ice-cream went to 1.5 quarts.
That would be fine if they reduced the price by 25% to reflect the 25% loss of content. But as it is, it's a sneaky way to raise prices which tries to make consumers think they aren't being hit with significant price hikes.