Anyone else too lazy to spend money

Too lazy, and simply dreading the whole process.

Starting about 2002, I stopped buying almost everything but perishables.

After a while, stuff stops working/falls apart. As of last year, I actually had to buy shoes (new), sheets/towels (used), sweaters (used), car (used).

When you pull a sheet/jeans/towel out of the washing machine and it rips, you have to go searching for replacements.

You have a washing machine? Well, that destroys my vision of who you are Khan....... What next? A McMansion? A BMW? A staff of servents? ;)

I'm starting to feel badly (or is it bad?).
I don't have a washer or dryer and don't use my dish washer (it came with the house). I go to the coin laundry - once a month or so.
I use a ceramic heater when I need it instead of heating the whole house - this is the south.

I'm not trying to really save money - it just works for me.

I will try Al's idea of cutting the paper towels in half (not thirds).

Kronk

Yes, that sounds like me... I hate to shop. If I do go shopping it is with a mission (not for entertainment). DW likes to shop. I think she views it as a form of entertainment. Fortunately, she does not spend a lot.

There are definitely some plusses to not wanting to shop. It certainly helps keep some of the costs down. Or, it should, anyhow. Somehow we still end up spending a decent amount of money.

But when neither partner likes shopping, it certainly turns buying things into a chore. This past holiday season, DW did all the gift shopping, which was a HUGE load off my mind.

Of course, I'm pretty much too lazy to do anything, so maybe my problem is laziness, not shopping...

You have a washing machine? Well, that destroys my vision of who you are Khan....... What next? A McMansion? A BMW? A staff of servents? ;)

Does it help that it's 15 years old?:D

When I was working, I did pay someone to do housework.

usta be I enjoyed shopping. I had the income and I liked the feeling that I could buy anything that struck my fancy. For whatever reasons (likely a set of reasons) it just leaves me completely flat nowadays. I save my splurges for the one or 2x a year I go to the States, and there I limit myself to what I can fit in the 2nd suitcase, with maybe a box or two of English-language books, videos, and Asian food ingredients that I send on ahead. Those books and spices are worth their weight in gold to me. I also use the occasion to refresh my wardrobe.. mostly at Target, tho' I might "go wild" at Syms or TJMaxx.

my shopping happens online or not at all, unless DH-to-be drags me to wally world. but he pays for that in other ways. I asses various penalties like lunch out or laundry free days for me if i go shopping with him.

Slip? "I 'asses' various penalties..." Hmm...those are some serious penalties.

Does it help that it's 15 years old?:D

When I was working, I did pay someone to do housework.
me too (housecleaner) while working. one of the few benefits of a really bad case of carpal tunnel.

i used to clean house too to make money as a younger person just starting out. good money, and always appreciated by your customer. and you get a free workout...

Originally Posted by Meadbh
I have fractional ownership of a resort condo. I prepared elegant letters congratulating my 4 closest friends that they could choose one of my weeks at this resort during the next five years, as my gift to them. I included a list of the possible weeks and all the resort information, making clear that transportation is their own responsibility. If they choose to check it out, the potential value during high season is several thousand $. I got a lot of excited thanks, but so far, none of my friends has taken up the option.

That was so generous . I'm shocked your friends did not jump at the offer .
can i be your friend, pretty pretty please?

just kidding...

Last edited:
freebird5825;616827 2. medium size wicker baskets filled with goodies (cheese said:
I like the basket idea plus I could give coupons for baby sitting . Thanks for the good ideas !
you're welcome. the baskets work for any age. just fill them with inexpensive (not dirt cheap) items that add up to your gift budget for that person. they can be very personalized. definitely do make by hand or add something cute that the person likes. artificial flowers and tissue paper found at dollar stores really dress them up.

and everyone can use a basket for collecting whatnot on their countertops. i've seen my "since emptied" baskets in friends homes holding fruit, bills, car keys, etc.

the basket size i use is about the size of a 3 qt saucepan. if i see a wicker sale, i grab about 5 or more for future gift giving. and if they stack, all the better.

keep deco supplies on hand, and then get your filler items for each occasion/person. the time investment really is minimal once you get the hang of it.

oh, and don't forget to add hard candy. strawberry or multifruit ones work great.

Last edited:
Some nights DH and I decide we don't feel like cooking. We go online to check out dinner options or places that will deliver, but it takes us so much effort to make a decision about where to eat that most of the time we end up cooking anyway. We're too lazy to order takeout!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom