Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone else tried Skype?
Old 08-26-2004, 02:44 PM   #1

Anyone else tried Skype?

I recently tried a program called Skype and am very impressed.

Skype allows you to phone other Skype users using your PC. The audio quality is excellent, and the echo control works very well (hands free speakerphone functionality.) The program takes 2 minutes to set up, and works through firewalls. There are other VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) programs out there, but most (actually I think all) require you to reconfigure your firewall -- Skype doesn't.

Skype is free, and the version that I downloaded (1.0.0.29) does not include any adware. The program was developed by the team that built Kaza (which I don't recommend).

To use Skype you need a PC with a broadband internet connection, speakers, and a microphone or headset. It actually worked OK with the mic that's built into my notebook computer.

If you regularly approach the minutes limit on your cell phone, and don't have a land line (or want to save on long distance prices) try it. www.skype.com

I don't have any affiliation with this company.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Anyone else tried Skype?
Old 09-01-2004, 10:38 AM   #2

hi. Haven't posted on awhile your post caught my eye. I have used Skype with my brother. He used his PocketPC with intergrated Wi Fi, mine only has intergrated Bluetooth. The clarity is great! I like the fact that you can see a picture of the caller if they include one in their profile.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:58 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I stumbled across a review about it today. Haven't read it, but here you go: (posting 2 links because I'm not sure if all the extra garbage at the end of the first will work for others)

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/05/bu...er=rssuserland

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/05/bu...ey/05tech.html

I found that link via Slashdot in this summary/discussion:

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/09/05/2032220
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote