Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-13-2010, 06:50 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A truly inspiring story.

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2010, 06:50 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
It is a joy to see the happy faces of the bystanders, and especially the brave and lovely women who have been waiting- and for a long time, not even knowing whether the miners were dead or alive.
Yes.

Raul Enriquez Bustos Ibanez's wife seemed pretty relaxed.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:54 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

So - did anyone wonder about the Chilean flag which is so very close to the Texas flag?

It is also known as "the Lone Star" - "La Estrella Solitaria" and became the official Chile flag in 1817, 22 years before the Texas Flag was designed and adopted in 1839.

Just thought it was interesting trivia.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:02 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
So - did anyone wonder about the Chilean flag which is so very close to the Texas flag?

It is also known as "the Lone Star" - "La Estrella Solitaria" and became the official Chile flag in 1817, 22 years before the Texas Flag was designed and adopted in 1839.

Just thought it was interesting trivia.
Yep, it's very close...

Texas county ballots have flag of Chile, not Texas

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

This could be the pilot for an ongoing reality show. I wonder how much they'd have to pay those guys to back down for another round?
Old 10-13-2010, 07:32 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yeah - it's hilarious! I had to correct my husband, who is a Texas native, and last night asked me "Why are they flying the TX flag?" I pointed out how it wasn't quite identical.

Texan ballot papers sent out with flag of Chile - Telegraph
Old 10-13-2010, 08:01 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Less than 24 hours, all 33 miners rescued! Now just need for the rescuers to rescue themselves!
Old 10-13-2010, 08:06 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I feel so relieved..and I don't even know these guys. This is really a happy occasion and one I'm celebrating with a Margharita! They really were exemplary in the way they stayed calm and organized down in that mine while trapped.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:06 PM   #49
Dryer sheet wannabe

Is this not what it is all about?
Old 10-13-2010, 08:23 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Can someone help me? I just saw the first rescuer start his ascent- how many are there total?

It's almost 10:30 pm down there, God willing everyone will be safe in few more hours- just a little over 24 hours total.

A real triumph.

Ha
Old 10-13-2010, 08:36 PM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Super impressive in every weay. THE miners are amazingly strong, and the governemnt and I suppose teh mining company did a great job of constructing and operating a very simple but apparently effective system of escape.

Does anyone know if the ascent is made in darkness, or is there a small light in the capsule?

I wonder if these guys will be able to head back down in the future.

Ha
We can't lose sight of the fact that these men are tough men from a very different culture than the US. They are used to living in small spaces and sharing their lives as part of a communal society with each other. I just don't see Americans being able to handle this type of isolation as well as these men handled it. They are less likely to have PTS than someone from this culture. They will go right back to their lives and wouldn't need psychiatrist and anti depressants for the rest of their lives. It just the way people in most of the world handle crisis.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I didn't see them sending another rescuer down, so I think it's only 5 rescuers, and I think the first is coming up the shaft now.

CNN says it's 6 rescuers down there. The first started coming up 9:20 ET, so he should be up now?
Old 10-13-2010, 08:41 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letj View Post
We can't lose sight of the fact that these men are tough men from a very different culture than the US. They are used to living in small spaces and sharing their lives as part of a communal society with each other. I just don't see Americans being able to handle this type of isolation as well as these men handled it. They are less likely to have PTS than someone from this culture. They will go right back to their lives and wouldn't need psychiatrist and anti depressants for the rest of their lives. It just the way people in most of the world handle crisis.
Yes, most of the trapped miners were experienced miners. One had even been trapped in a mine and rescued 3 times before!

But one was brand new to mining - a mechanic, and that day of the disaster was the first time he had ever been in a mine. Another (or a pair of brothers?) have only worked for the mine for 4 months - 70 days of which were trapped in the mine. Someone else was fairly new too - and had come from a different business. So they weren't all hardened veterans.

I think individual people vary widely enough, even within a given culture, that you can't make assumptions about what people can handle or not.

Audrey
Old 10-13-2010, 08:59 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Can someone help me? I just saw the first rescuer start his ascent- how many are there total?

It's almost 10:30 pm down there, God willing everyone will be safe in few more hours- just a little over 24 hours total.

A real triumph.

Ha
2 of 6 rescuers up Ha, capsule down to get the next one.

Oh look - CNN blog caught up with me LOL! http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/10/13...-half-rescues/

Audrey
Old 10-13-2010, 09:08 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I didn't see them sending another rescuer down, so I think it's only 5 rescuers, and I think the first is coming up the shaft now.

CNN says it's 6 rescuers down there. The first started coming up 9:20 ET, so he should be up now?
I saw him get out. Yahoo!

Ha
Old 10-13-2010, 09:19 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

It's a truly inspiring story. And I thought El Presidente handled it well. When they breached the shaft he gave a morale boosting speech. It was good that he was there to greet the miners.

Apparently a Chilean gazillionaire is giving each miner about $10K, or one year's wages, and the miners already have a strategy worked out to make the most of their new celebrity. They had a lot of time to plan down there. Probably none of them will ever need to mine again.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:25 PM   #57
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
And I thought El Presidente handled it well. When they breached the shaft he gave a morale boosting speech. It was good that he was there to greet the miners.
Not to throw cold water on what is an absolutely wonderful outcome, but I heard El Presidente was in hot water with his Chilean constituents over how he handled the earthquake situation. He supposedly saw this as a once in a lifetime PR opportunity and orchestrated placing himself center stage for the rescue operation.

Have you noticed every camera and all the coverage (other than from vantage points several hundred yards away) is from Chilean govt TV?

He's definitely a politician...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:32 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

I agree, it was definitely a political stump speech opportunity! And he took full advantage. But it was also important to be there representing the country in welcoming back each rescued miner and thanking the rescuers. Such is the privilege of head of state.

Audrey
Old 10-13-2010, 09:38 PM   #59
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letj View Post
With all due respect, I would invite you to speak with any of the crew of my former US Navy ballistic missile submarine. We went underwater on strategic deterrent patrol for 67 days at a time. 120 men in a tube 33 ft in diameter and 380 feet long, also filled with a nuclear reactor, 16 giant missiles and a boat load of various machinery and electronics. That's 67 days under hundreds of feet of water with no sunlight, no fresh food, no calls, no letters, no contact with the outside world. For a pack of Americans, I think we managed fairly well.

That said, there were three major differences between us and the miners. We were all there voluntarily, we knew how long we would be there, and the means of our egress were under our own control. That, of course, makes a world of difference.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:38 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

And the rescue took only two months instead of the original four expected. Kudos to the above ground engineers, too.

From an 8/23/2010 article:

Quote:
...The trapped workers will likely not see the light of day until Christmas. Drilling a hole large enough to allow the miners to be hauled out one by one will prove a challenging feat and require equipment not currently at the site. "A shaft 66 centimeters (26 inches) in diameter will take at least 120 days," said Andres Sougarret, the engineer in charge of the operation.
Chilean Miners Found Alive but Could Be Trapped Till Christmas