Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone ever gotten a kitty from the SPCA?
Old 06-13-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Anyone ever gotten a kitty from the SPCA?

Has anyone on this board ever gotten a kitty from the SPCA or similar establishment and had good luck with it? The only kitten I ever got from the SPCA had Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP), which I understand the kitten gets from it's mother when it comes thru the birth canal; and, since it's untreatable, the kitty's death at a year old was inevitable. Unfortunately, the tests at that time--I have no idea about now--were unreliable, so this kitty wasn't tested for it.
So, my question is I wonder if anyone has ever seen any statistics on how many kitty's from SPCA-type places end up being ill? Since many of the kitty's are either brought in, found and brought in or just completely feral, I wonder what the ratio of healthy to diseased kittens are in these places?
If I sound paranoid about getting another kitten at the SPCA I am. I really have no desire to watch another animal die (having just had to put my mother's little poodle down).
My other choice would be to get a kitten from the classifieds and paying a vet to check it out; whereas, if you get the pet at the SPCA they do all the tests they can, neuter the animal, microchip it and give it it's basic shots for $60 here. A much better deal if the animal is healthy.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2009, 06:40 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I adopted my last kitty from the SPCA in 1996. He has not had any health issues and is still alive and well. At the time, if we took him to the vet and they found something wrong, we could return him. (we wouldn't do that...he was our kitty the first day we brought him home)

I don't know the statistics on animals provided by the SPCA. Perhaps you could talk to a vet and get his/her recommendation.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:49 PM   #3

Well, that sounds promising. I wish I could find some numbers on it, tho.
Adopting a kitty IS like bringing an adopted baby home somewhat isn't it? That's why it's so heartbreaking when they die so young. Not fun, anyway.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

The people at KittyKind in the local Petco seemto take very good care of their cats.

I see the cats getting medicine andgetting shots, and kittens being held and socialized by people.

BBBamI's sugestion about talking to a vet is a good one - I have also seen cats for adoption at various vets' offices.

ta,
mew
mews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:54 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

"Fluffy" was adopted, now age five. She had kennel cough a day after we took her home, we were so concerned that only helped the bonding process along. The SPCA had her in foster care for a while and they thoroughly socialized her.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4043.JPG (460.9 KB, 1 views)
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:59 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

What an elegant kitty, CuppaJoe!

Ta,
mew
mews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:11 PM   #7

Wow, Fluffy is one hot kitty! Cool and very pretty! No, beautiful is the word!
Old 06-13-2009, 07:20 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I think Fluffy is beautiful...........but Comet doesn't care...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00579.jpg (528.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 06-13-2009, 07:52 PM   #9

Where are you people getting such beautiful cats? Comet is a hotty, too!
Old 06-13-2009, 09:17 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

We got our two cats from the SPCA (via a foster home). Both were checked by a vet and vaccinated prior to adoption. After a few days, we noticed they both had worms and required treatment (fairly common for kittens). Lilly (shown in the first picture below) also had some intestinal problems requiring further treatment. As it turned out she has IBD with intermittent flair-ups, so her condition is still ongoing, but she is otherwise a very happy kitty...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:41 PM   #11

We adopted a cat from PetSmart. Max was with his mom and litter mates when he was rescued from an animal shelter. A local group finds foster homes for them until they are adopted. When we got him he was 8 months old, one of the last ones left. He was raised with his Mom and litter mates with a family so he was very well socialized. He had been displayed at PetSmart many times and not been adopted. His foster mom was quite shocked when he didn't come back from PetSmart. She had gotten attached and was thinking she'd end up keeping him.

He was not declawed and we had to promise not to declaw him. That worked out just fine, he's very polite with his claws and really only scratches on things we've given him for clawing.

Any time you adopt they will tell you if the pet has been neutered/spayed and vaccinated. Our Max was very healthy and clean and personable right from the start. But they always tell you to have them checked out at your own vet.

I can understand you being hesitant to adopt another animal from the SPCA after losing the last one at such a young age. Wherever you decide to go it's just a wonderful thing to rescue an animal. I've adopted from a county shelter, PetSmart, families with kittens and even took a pair of cats from a family moving out of the country.

I truly think that they know when they've been rescued.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Be sure to post pictures.
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:58 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

You are so lucky to be adopting an adorable little kitten, Orchidflower! Just had to say that that sounds really wonderful. Maybe you can take some photos and share.

I don't know anything about the SPCA but I would have any kitty from any source checked by a vet on the way to my house, before I could get irrevocably attached. You'll need to establish a regular vet for your kitty anyway, so why not.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:04 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

It is funny how we got our cat... there was this cat that LOVED to just lay in my driveway and hang out in one of my trees... she was there for years (like between 5 and 7)... she even got where she would not move when I drove up... knowing my car... but she would not let me pet her at all...

Then recently got married and now have two kids... the girl started to pet the cat... and then it would wait outside the front door for her... she would carry the cat around like a baby... my wife did not like it because it was not 'good blood'... I kept telling them it was someone else's cat... they did not listen and allowed it to come in... but it still wanted to be outside at night...

We then come to find out the 'owners' had moved over a year ago... so my daughter said it was our cat... now it stays indoors most of the time and will come and lay on my lap... she likes to be in the same room as somebody.. does not like to be alone...

She has turned out to be a very nice cat...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:54 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Both of our cats came from the Humane Society. Our dog came from there, too. I also have worked as a volunteer at the Humane Society and local animal shelter, and so I feel pretty confident about adopting a cat from shelters.

Out here at least, most shelters require spay/neuter before the animal goes home with you, and the animals up for adoption have been given a clean bill of health by the resident vet. One of our cats had tapeworms when she came home -- a quick de-wormer did the trick just fine.

As for longevity -- one of our cats is 13, the other is 11. They're indoor-only and, from what we can tell, quite contented. Great cats, both. Here's a couple of pics --
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1556_2.jpg (579.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1534.jpg (619.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 06-14-2009, 05:32 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I've been a volunteer with cat rescue groups and the local animal shelter for over 10 years now. I'm sorry to hear about your experience with FIP. Unfortunately, there is no vaccine to control FIP so kittens from breeders, private homes, shelters and rescue groups are all at risk. Thankfully, FIP is not very common.

I am not aware of any statistics regarding how many cats become ill after adoption. Even with even the best rescue groups and shelters, problems such as an upper respritory infection are common. Most of these health issues are easily resolved.

My advice is to take your time. Adopting a pet is a big commitment. There is some good information on www.petfinder.com about pet adoption. You may also find rescue groups in your area and view their adoptable pets online. Good luck!
Old 06-14-2009, 06:32 AM   #16

After reading these posts, I did start to get the idea that I was just the unlucky one to get a kitty with FIP...and see I was. It was really a drag to see my beautiful kitty get so sick at a year old and die within a 2 week period that you could actually see the symptoms. I just don't want to have to go thru that again if there is any way to avoid it. It was so close to a SIDS death that I have experienced, anyway. God bless those parents who go thru that...whew...hard to do, for sure.
The first thing I've done with all 3 adopted kitties (different time periods and not all 3 at once) is take them to the local cat vet. You do everything right and still....

(Urchina has some contented looking cats...and pretty ones, too. I just love animals I confess!)
Old 06-14-2009, 07:42 AM   #17
Dryer sheet wannabe

We got our 2 littermate brothers from the Humane Society via a foster home. I wanted kitties that were dog friendly and they gave me a list of cats being fostered with dogs. 5 years later they have been in great health (except for the usual worming at first) and absolutely love the dog! Also consider getting a pair-two really are easier than one-they entertain each other. Jan
JanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:33 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I don't know anything about the SPCA but I would have any kitty from any source checked by a vet on the way to my house, before I could get irrevocably attached. You'll need to establish a regular vet for your kitty anyway, so why not.
So true about getting a relationship with a vet. The one I go to, IIRC, either gives the first appt. free or at very reduced fee; and IMO she is an excellent vet. The SPCA will give you a lot of info, Orchidflower, and I believe they recommend a checkup and/or shot at about three months. Yes, show us pictures.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:58 AM   #19
Administrator

Our vet's office always has a bulletin board full of cats and kittens looking for a new home. If we were looking for another cat, I would look there first. And regardless of where you get the cat, one of the first stops should be the vet for a full checkup.

Our very first cat simply moved in with us one day. He had been abandoned when someone moved out of our apartment complex and the neighbors were leaving food out for him, but he was sleeping outdoors. He used to stand on the roof of our apartment and look in the dining room window. He also slept on our balcony. One day, when he was on the balcony, we opened the door and he promptly marched right in the house, went to the bedroom, climbed up on the bed and burrowed under the covers. From that day on, he was our cat.

After that cat died in 1995, we got our current two cats. The young wife was teaching school and she put a "kittens wanted" note on her chalkboard. Sure enough, one of her students had a pregnant cat and we took two sisters out of the litter. Since my wife was a biology teacher, the student did ask with some concern exactly why she wanted a cat and what she had planned for it.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:55 PM   #20

We get our cats from the SPCA. Usually comes neutered and with shots for maybe $35? The thing I noticed is that they are all pretty skinny, and tend to really fatten up once they get a good food supply. DW feeds them too much, but they seem happy to eat it all.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote