Join Early Retirement Today

anyone ever had a car engine rebuilt not under warranty?
Old 04-18-2017, 04:44 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

anyone ever had a car engine rebuilt not under warranty?

If so, what did it cost you?

short version - DW complained about the oil leak in my 74 f100 and i'm getting the engine rebuilt for $5K all in, with some decent upgrades

long version - available on request

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2017, 05:20 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

$5k with 'decent upgrades' is not all out of the ball park, that's the short version. However, an engine can be rebuilt for $150-30,000 depending on what you want done and what you want to do with it. I've rebuilt the top end with all new gaskets and farmed out the valve job portion which cost me less than $90 for a total bill of less than $350. But if you're doing a full teardown and rebuild with performance upgrades having the crank balanced/checked etc I can see it adding up quickly to the $5k figure. Personally in that price range I'd rather look for a crate motor and drop it in unless you're trying to preserve the originality of a classic truck.

dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:11 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post

short version - DW complained about the oil leak in my 74 f100 and i'm getting the engine rebuilt for $5K all in, with some decent upgrades

long version - available on request
Yes, I did!

12/23/2014 my 2008 Honda Accord w/97,000 miles stopped running on my way home from the grocery store. I had the car for 6 1/2 years and had methodically serviced the vehicle at the dealership on a timely basis. I received a few estimates from local garages and prices began at $3,000 for rebuilt engines.

So my quandry was - do I spend $3K on a car worth $7,500 or so?

To make a long story short, I negotiated with Honda and they charged me $3,500 to replace engine with NEW engine and 1 yr warranty. Of course, I had to pay towing and rent a car for 3 weeks - so, in essence the cost was closer to $4,300 out of pocket. I actually saw the invoice that the dealership was being reimbursed from Honda Inc. and it was close to $10K.

Just a difficult, costly, nerve wrecking process to go through. Thankfully, because I had an Emergency Fund, it was really no big deal.

I really like the vehicle and from a tax perspective, today I have 30K miles on an engine of a 10 year old car. I'm looking at keeping it for at least another year and a half and replacing it with wifes 2015 Toyota Camry XL .

Michael
IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:42 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

well this is what I got for $5K (this was a <$4K truck, originally...)

remove, retorque and replace long block (460 big block ford)
machine block (30 over), heads, crank
assemble heads with new valves, lifters, rods, pistons, rings etc
install mild cam, weiand intake, high volume oil pump, high stall torque converter, new flex plate, new timing cover, new water pump, new coil, new plugs, etc
paint engine bay black, paint engine ford blue
install engine with break-in oil and tune
install DIN stereo and speakers
should be about 9/1 compression and 425hp/500tq or so

a similar crate long block would have been $7K ish plus I'd still have to have a few parts installed (torque converter) and R&R old engine

I figured I saved $3500ish doing it this way

hopefully this truck will outlive me
Old 04-19-2017, 08:45 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I see what drove your cost up...

Quote:

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:53 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I see what drove your cost up...
under $150 parts - my guy did it for free - said it took him 10 minutes

it would have taken me a day or two and i prolly would have fried something

he's certified or something something

can't have a pickup truck without the gun rack, hat holder and some zz top blaring
Old 04-19-2017, 08:56 AM   #7

The price doesn't sound bad for the work being done. Does your budget include more frequent rear tire replacement after hopping up your truck?
jimbee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:07 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
The price doesn't sound bad for the work being done. Does your budget include more frequent rear tire replacement after hopping up your truck?
it's got a fresh set of these on it

X Fit AT | All Terrain SUV & Light Truck Tire | Laufenn
Old 04-19-2017, 09:12 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:

can't have a pickup truck without the gun rack, hat holder and some zz top blaring
This comment made me smile - remembering my FIL and his solution to wearing his hat in his truck...

FIL was a genuine West TX cowboy. He came to TX as a teenager in the 30's and worked as a ranch hand breaking horses. I never saw him outside without a cowboy hat on his head.

I don't remember the year, but sometime in the late 80's or early 90's he sold his ancient f100 and purchased a new Toyota pickup. That was when headrests were an integral part of the the seatback, not adjustable or removable.

Driving his brand new truck home from the dealership, FIL was perturbed to discover the headrest interfered with wearing his hat, the back brim rubbing against it. His solution was to get out his hacksaw and cut off the top 8 inches of the driver's seat, sealing off the open wound with duct tape.

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:46 AM   #10

Quote:
well this is what I got for $5K (this was a <$4K truck, originally...)

remove, retorque and replace long block (460 big block ford)
machine block (30 over), heads, crank
assemble heads with new valves, lifters, rods, pistons, rings etc
install mild cam, weiand intake, high volume oil pump, high stall torque converter, new flex plate, new timing cover, new water pump, new coil, new plugs, etc
paint engine bay black, paint engine ford blue
install engine with break-in oil and tune
should be about 9/1 compression and 425hp/500tq or so

a similar crate long block would have been $7K ish plus I'd still have to have a few parts installed (torque converter) and R&R old engine

I figured I saved $3500ish doing it this way

OK now that makes a lot of sense! I As I said before the cost really depends on what is being done during the rebuild.

Quote:
I'm calling first dibs but seriously you now have to post a pic of this F100
Old 04-19-2017, 09:48 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post

I'm calling first dibs but seriously you now have to post a pic of this F100
will do when I get her out of the shop (said every ford owner ever )
Old 04-19-2017, 09:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaela View Post
Yes, I did!

12/23/2014 my 2008 Honda Accord w/97,000 miles stopped running on my way home from the grocery store. I had the car for 6 1/2 years and had methodically serviced the vehicle at the dealership on a timely basis. I received a few estimates from local garages and prices began at $3,000 for rebuilt engines.

Michael
Unfortunately that generation of Accords and CRVs had frequent pre-mature engine failures. I'm surprised they weren't forced to fix them under a recall of some kind. In this day and age engines are supposed to last 200k with general care especially Hondas
Old 04-19-2017, 09:53 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Seems like a reasonable price for what was done. A buddy replaced the engine in his 1996 Nissan Sentra. He was broke at the time (lost his job; wife doesn't work) and couldn't afford a "new" car, so bit the bullet and kept his old beater running for the least cost possible.

It was $2400 to replace with a lightly used engine, and it's still running like a champ several years later. I think most of the cost with engine replacements is the labor, and the delta between new and lightly used engine is usually modest (but important if you're broke and unemployed ).
Old 04-19-2017, 09:54 AM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Depends on the engine and what I'm doing to it. Recent stock rebuilds have probably cost me as little as few hundred $ in parts. Significant upgrades have been in the many thousands $. Usually, most of the labor is free (me).
Car-Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:19 AM   #15

Also, if went the DIY route, you'd need to budget either time or money for all the Ford "special tools." Money, if you buy them; time, if you get 'em on loan (with deposit) from a parts store. Always hated those dreaded special tools (but, did enjoy my Fords over the years).
Old 04-19-2017, 10:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
Also, if went the DIY route, you'd need to budget either time or money for all the Ford "special tools." Money, if you buy them; time, if you get 'em on loan (with deposit) from a parts store. Always hated those dreaded special tools (but, did enjoy my Fords over the years).
Not too many Ford special tools needed on an F100.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:39 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
my guys had the engine pulled in about 2 hours

they had the right tools for sure lol
Old 04-19-2017, 10:41 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
This comment made me smile - remembering my FIL and his solution to wearing his hat in his truck...

FIL was a genuine West TX cowboy. He came to TX as a teenager in the 30's and worked as a ranch hand breaking horses. I never saw him outside without a cowboy hat on his head.

I don't remember the year, but sometime in the late 80's or early 90's he sold his ancient f100 and purchased a new Toyota pickup. That was when headrests were an integral part of the the seatback, not adjustable or removable.

Driving his brand new truck home from the dealership, FIL was perturbed to discover the headrest interfered with wearing his hat, the back brim rubbing against it. His solution was to get out his hacksaw and cut off the top 8 inches of the driver's seat, sealing off the open wound with duct tape.
Great story. Too bad the "There, I fixed it!" website wasn't around back then

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Just an adjustable wrench and a hammer

But those that will take on a DIY job such as rebuilding the engine are long time car enthusiasts and have collected tools that are probably worth more than a new F150. Nope I don't know anyone like that

Either that or all the Youtube-certified-mechanics these days with a credit card and an Amazon Prime account
Old 04-19-2017, 02:01 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
Just an adjustable wrench and a hammer

But those that will take on a DIY job such as rebuilding the engine are long time car enthusiasts and have collected tools that are probably worth more than a new F150. Nope I don't know anyone like that

Either that or all the Youtube-certified-mechanics these days with a credit card and an Amazon Prime account
speaking of which....when I moved 6 years ago I gave away my timing light - "i'll never need this again"

I had to fork over 30 bucks for a new one when I got the truck