Anyone Ever Used a Printed Groupon?

kaneohe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We have many times. No particular problems until recently when one restaurant expressed reluctance to accept it initially. Later the manager said there would be no problem and it was accepted. I assumed that some unknowing employee had been trained and assumed the problem was fixed.

We had a second Groupon from the same restaurant. To my great surprise when we returned, same problem. I assumed another unknowing employee
and asked for a manager who also expressed great reluctance saying something about people cheating them by using printed Groupons multiple times and wanting to see it on a mobile device (which we didn't have) and seeing it deleted after use. He finally accepted the printed Groupon w/ great reluctance.

I contacted Groupon after the second incident. Groupon seems to be very good at responding to comments to their comments but w/ platitudes instead of concrete feedback about what they did.

Does anyone know what the process is for printed Groupons to prevent using them a second time? I had the impression that each had a separate tracking number which neutralized them once they had been used. Must not be true w/o further actions since I just got a reminder from Groupon that those 2 coupons were going to expire soon so a reminder to use them soon.

Does the merchant have to do something to cancel them after use? perhaps with some equipment/process that the merchant is not doing?

Or does the Groupon process require that Groupon do something that they aren't doing?

Since only one merchant so far has this problem, I am guessing the issue is with them but I don't really know that.

Yelp reviews of restaurants quite often say that many places balk when a customer tries to use a Groupon.

In my opinion, if I have to haggle with a restaurant to get a free meal or a discount, it is probably not worth it. To each his own.

I assumed another unknowing employee
and asked for a manager who also expressed great reluctance saying something about people cheating them by using printed Groupons multiple times and wanting to see it on a mobile device (which we didn't have) and seeing it deleted after use.

Seeing it deleted is just so so funny. :LOL:
Pssst: I know how to make copies. I bet other people do, too.

Last edited:
Merchants are supposed to redeem the vouchers by logging into Groupon with their merchant credentials and entering the codes when they accept them. They can also use Groupon's smartphone app to "scan" the barcode on a printed groupon.

Groupon provides immediate feedback on whether a code is valid, so if they were to do this while the customer is present, they could just refuse invalid groupons.

Yes, the restaurant is supposed to enter the code to cancel the coupon and prevent them from being used again.

If that restaurant hasn't figured out the process, then they ought to stop advertising on Groupon.

I use printed Groupons most weeks. I think I have 20 or so in our Groupon queues. I have never had any trouble with a restaurant not accepting a Groupon. We're using a Groupon tonight for a concert.

Usually for dining out the restaurant processes the Groupons and by the next day at the latest the Groupon shows "redeemed". I have an issue right now because a couple of places have not processed the Groupons we used even after a week or so. DH and I each had one for the same place, and I'm not sure which one of the Groupons I used - his or mine. I never used to have to track and mark them redeemed on my own before.

Last edited:
Yelp reviews of restaurants quite often say that many places balk when a customer tries to use a Groupon.

In my opinion, if I have to haggle with a restaurant to get a free meal or a discount, it is probably not worth it. To each his own.
+1 Haggling isn't part of the smooth and pleasant restaurant experience that we expect when we go out to eat.

I'd probably never again try to redeem a coupon for that restaurant. I would also think seriously about dealing with a coupon bureaucracy at all, if the problem arose very often.

Today we used a local coupon, given out by a local restaurant when we ate there a few weeks ago, for food only at that restaurant. No problems at all, but then they remember us and probably remember giving us the coupon. They treated us like royalty and thanked us. :D

Not Groupon.

But last week I printed a coupon that usually comes in one of those Money Mailers which come once a month. Unfortunately, I don't receive the Money Mailers where I live, so I was force to print out the coupon. No problem using it.

You sometimes have to use printed coupon if you work in a town "far" from where you live which is me most of the time.

How does it work if you show Groupon on phone? Does restaurant tag it as used on your phone, do you do it while restaurant watches, or does restaurant have to do it as a separate step on their own facilities.

I used Groupon for Autoshow tickets. I assumed I could get an actual ticket using the confirmation number but the ticket office said it must be printed out and scanned by the ticket taker. There was no way to do that but the ticket taker scanned the bar code on my phone and it was no problem.

I used Groupon for Autoshow tickets. I assumed I could get an actual ticket using the confirmation number but the ticket office said it must be printed out and scanned by the ticket taker. There was no way to do that but the ticket taker scanned the bar code on my phone and it was no problem.

useful input, thanks........so maybe the restaurant doesn't have a working scanner.............

I haven't used any store or restaurant coupons in years. Just not worth it to me. I will take senior citizen discounts "when they offer it" but never ask for that. Makes me feel cheap to ask. To each his (or her) own.

I haven't used any store or restaurant coupons in years. Just not worth it to me. I will take senior citizen discounts "when they offer it" but never ask for that. Makes me feel cheap to ask. To each his (or her) own.

Using a coupon is no different than buying an item that's on sale. I don't consider it cheap by any means.

Using a coupon is no different than buying an item that's on sale. I don't consider it cheap by any means.
I don't think using coupons is being cheap either. Just more trouble than they are worth to me. As I said in my post, what makes me feel cheap is "asking" for senior citizen discounts.

Last edited:
I paid $36 dollars for two Groupon concert tickets last night that would have been $98 at full price on the venue web site. I'm pretty sure we enjoyed the concert as much as the ticket holders that paid full price.

+1 Haggling isn't part of the smooth and pleasant restaurant experience that we expect when we go out to eat.

I'd probably never again try to redeem a coupon for that restaurant. I would also think seriously about dealing with a coupon bureaucracy at all, if the problem arose very often.

Today we used a local coupon, given out by a local restaurant when we ate there a few weeks ago, for food only at that restaurant. No problems at all, but then they remember us and probably remember giving us the coupon. They treated us like royalty and thanked us. :D

Funny story is we went to Chili's. We go to one close by frequently and the 2 waitresses know us by sight.
So Chili's had emailed me a coupon so I printed it, and showed it to her.
We had our meal, and then the system would not take the coupon.
I read the terms on it and we clearly followed them all, and she agreed, so the manager fixed it, but it felt like quite a hassle. :(

The thought crossed my mind, that maybe we'd not bother going back any more, and perhaps that's why we have been to a bunch of other restaurants this month instead. :greetings10:

I don't think using coupons is being cheap either. Just more trouble than they are worth to me. As I said in my post, what makes me feel cheap is "asking" for senior citizen discounts.

To each their own. I "ask" for my military discount at Lowe's/Home Depot every time I buy something there because spending 10% less seems better than paying full price to me. I'll pay "less" anytime doing so isn't more of a hassle than the savings are worth to me.

Groupon is not a coupon. It's a voucher that you pay for in advance. It's no different than our local favorite restaurant selling a $150 gift card for $100 on black Friday. We jump on that deal every year and don't feel at all cheap spending the gift card just because we got a 33% discount on it.

Fortunately the problem the OP described is rare and seems attributable to a clueless merchant who hasn't figured out how to redeem the Groupons he sold. It's a pretty simple task to just login and then either type in the code or scan it.

I am not old enough for senior discounts (except a very few), but I have NO problem asking for it...

Since they are offering it to bring me in, I might as well accommodate them letting them know their advertising is working :dance:

I also do not hesitate using a coupon if I have one.... now I do not cut coupons to sort out and go buying stuff at the grocery.... but if a coupon is hanging on a clip for something I want I will use it... why not? Seems stupid to pay more for something....

now I do not cut coupons to sort out and go buying stuff at the grocery.... but if a coupon is hanging on a clip for something I want I will use it... why not? Seems stupid to pay more for something....

Agree with your post above in the black text, exactly, me too... But your comments that I've changed to red, gave me a good laugh.:LOL:

Agree with your post above in the black text, exactly, me too... But your comments that I've changed to red, gave me a good laugh.:LOL:

I had one sister who did coupon cutting and made it an art.... and one who still does...

The one who quit used to do it more when they would triple etc. etc.... she once bought over $150 of food for less than $1... yes, that is right, less than a buck... since they stopped the double and triple I do not think you can do it as easily as before...

My other sister I saw doing it a couple of times... she had a book with the coupons sorted out... she would wait for something to go on sale and pull out the coupon... she did it since they were poor with 2 kids...

I did try the clipping, but would forget them or try and justify buying something that I did not need... DW is not from here and has never gotten coupons.... but, she mostly buys fresh stuff anyhow so.... we just buy what is on sale now... and as mentioned before if a coupon is right there....

I am not old enough for senior discounts (except a very few), but I have NO problem asking for it...

...... Seems stupid to pay more for something....

I was in a store, and asked if they had a discount (as they had years ago).
The fellow said they had a Senor discount, but didn't bring it up anymore as some people were offended !!!

I'd be offended to pay 10% extra :) I told him and got my discount.

Back
Top Bottom