Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-08-2007, 09:11 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So whats your wife keeping in the glove compartment that requires lighting?

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2007, 11:31 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

I just checked, and neither of our cars has a glove compartment light. So I guess the Taurus is one of those fancy/schmancy cars.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:32 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
As for the glovebox light, you guys are confusing LBYM with marital harmony...
I think I've got soda in my nose now...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:15 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Thats not what your other FA buddies are talking about when they mention "snorting coke"...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:48 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
So whats your wife keeping in the glove compartment that requires lighting?
Ah, but to gain that knowledge we must first seek enlightenment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I just checked, and neither of our cars has a glove compartment light. So I guess the Taurus is one of those fancy/schmancy cars.
"Fancy", yeah, that's what I bet you were thinking when we were cruising Waikiki with its three delaminating tires... but we fixed that when one of them finally went flat.

I think an engineer decided that a glovebox light would let the passenger find their gloves without having to turn on a ceiling light and affect the driver's night vision.

Good point, though, all I'm doing is collecting plastic scraps of crumbling infrastructure that don't appear to impact the car's operation. Repairing/replacing them wouldn't exactly improve the car's resale value and would probably be more hassle to find, buy, & install than it's worth.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:06 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thats not what your other FA buddies are talking about when they mention "snorting coke"...
Who says I hang around with other advisors? I don't have a McMansion, a leased BMW, or an inground swimming pool, so I don't fit in..........

Old 08-09-2007, 01:10 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think an engineer decided that a glovebox light would let the passenger find their gloves without having to turn on a ceiling light and affect the driver's night vision.
So how often do you use gloves in hawaii?

(we're gonna get to the bottom of this mystery sooner or later)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Who says I hang around with other advisors? I don't have a McMansion, a leased BMW, or an inground swimming pool, so I don't fit in..........
So what you're saying is that you stink at this job?
Old 08-09-2007, 04:38 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So how often do you use gloves in hawaii?
(we're gonna get to the bottom of this mystery sooner or later)
Eh, you're right.

Screw it. We're not gonna fix the glovebox latch. Or the broken headrest posts. Or the broken ventilation louvers. Or the cruise control recall. Or the rotting plastic on the airbag covers. Or the crumbled plastic pieces of interior trim. Or the dirt-etched headlight covers. Or replace the missing wheel cover.

Gosh, with over 100K miles on it I might not ever change the brake pads or the coolant or the brake fluid or the transmission fluid again either. And the "new" switch (eBay) for the rear wiper will last longer than the car. Heck, I spliced in the new brake-light sockets less than a year ago.

I'll probably scrape the surf wax off the upholstery and I'll ask our kid to vacuum out the ten pounds of sand she brings into it every month. I might epoxy a broken lock knob, but its electric button works just fine.

After all, it's not like I need this particular vehicle to be in perfect working order to answer flank bells or go to test depth. And I certainly have better uses for my time & money!

Anyone need parts from a lovingly-used 1993 Ford Taurus station wagon?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:19 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
go to test depth
I think you've found a solid and available solution...
Old 08-10-2007, 09:32 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So what you're saying is that you stink at this job?
No, I thought LBYM was the way to go, am I wrong?

Old 08-10-2007, 10:38 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

LBYM sales people are held in great suspicion by their peers and their management.

When I managed sales people, the first thing I did was talk them into buying a big expensive car, a big expensive house, and ideally getting married.

Then I told their spouse that they were fabulous sales people and should make a lot of money, so hey, live it up.

At that point, my work was done.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:41 AM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

LMAO on the last several pages of posts on this thread!!! Busted for laughing at the office (well, I was asked to share what was so funny)

Why, Nords, are you "collecting" all these useless - probably will never be replaced or repaired - parts? Purge them! Does this not run against the grain of your organized liftstyle? If the Taurus still runs, run with it
Old 08-10-2007, 10:56 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Several ideas come to mind...

"DIVE DIVE DIVE!!!"

"Reaching periscope depth..."

"Okay, who's the u-boat commander...?"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg taurus.JPG (20.2 KB, 20 views)
Old 08-10-2007, 01:01 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
LBYM sales people are held in great suspicion by their peers and their management.

When I managed sales people, the first thing I did was talk them into buying a big expensive car, a big expensive house, and ideally getting married.

Then I told their spouse that they were fabulous sales people and should make a lot of money, so hey, live it up.

At that point, my work was done.
Sounds like you were an AWESOME sales trainer.......

Old 08-10-2007, 02:49 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Hey, I didnt have to train them, motivate them, or do much of anything.

They had bills to pay.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:21 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hey, I didnt have to train them, motivate them, or do much of anything.

They had bills to pay.
And as soon as all my bills are paid and I acquire a little more NW, I'm out too, unlike most of my fellow FA's who are hoping their kids will "buy out" the old man's book of business and pay him a small pension for his final years........., because they still have big bills to pay in retirement........some of the worst investments I have seen are FA's accounts..........