Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-25-2015, 10:30 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Great! Glad to hear it. I am looking forward to reading more about your opinion of the iPad Pro as you get used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
To my shock, my iPad Pro arrived about 10 AM this morning. I was surprised because it arrived in Tennessee last night (it came from China). FedEx tracking said it would be here by 10:30 AM next Monday so I was very surprised to find it at my door this morning.

To transfer stuff from my iPad to the iPad Pro I basically just restored my latest iCloud back up to the new iPad Pro. I did the iCloud back up as that my most recent one. I could have used a restore from iTunes on my computer had that been the most recent back up.

It was very painless and when you start up the iPad Pro it walks you step by step through everything you need to do.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2015, 10:52 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

My grandkids have I Pads, but I consider them to be luxury items. But they're great to have on a long car trip--to keep the kids quiet.

My daughter's had a couple of I Phones, but their software won't stand up to her mega-use. The newest and greatest Samsung phone's the only cellphone that she won't wear out in 6 months.

I cut my cell phone off yesterday as I probably won't make 5 phone calls a month. My wife carries a pay as you go cellphone. I'm using a new Dell touch top laptop and it's just so easy to type on. We travel the world with an inexpensive Samsung Chromebook. We'll probably never have an I Pad, especially one with cellular service, as the service charges are just so expensive.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 11:14 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post

I cut my cell phone off yesterday as I probably won't make 5 phone calls a month. My wife carries a pay as you go cellphone.
One of the things I've had to wrap my head around is how much most people (particularly younger people) use the smartphone for things other than calling. My college age kids use their iPhones all the time, but very rarely use the phone. The communicating is almost entirely by text.

One time I called my son to ask him something and when he didn't answer I left a voice mail. He didn't get back to my quickly so I called him again. He wanted to know why I hadn't texted him "like a normal person" and he pointed out he regularly checks his texts, but it is easy for him to miss a voice mail.

I have a blog and I was looking at my Google Analytics the other day. I had had a large spike in my traffic and was researching why. Basically I had had a post which ended up high in Google searches. So, I was getting a lot of search traffic to my blog. Anyway, what was interesting to me was that about 40% of my traffic was from people using computer, 40% was people on phones and 20% was people on tablets.

For the average person, particularly so with younger people, they are primarily using a phone for things like searching on the web, listening to music, texting, using social media like Facebook or Twitter, streaming video, playing games, reading, web surfing, Skyping. The fact you can also make and receive phone calls is nice, but almost entirely beside the point.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 12:44 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Oh great, you have. Nice long weekend to play with it!

Never mind, you're retired.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:34 PM   #45
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
To transfer stuff from my iPad to the iPad Pro I basically just restored my latest iCloud back up to the new iPad Pro. I did the iCloud back up as that my most recent one. I could have used a restore from iTunes on my computer had that been the most recent back up.

It was very painless and when you start up the iPad Pro it walks you step by step through everything you need to do.
Glad to hear it, enjoy! And I'm looking forward to your review.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 01:37 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Nope - Surface Pro 4 for me.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:01 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Not us! We have a few $70 FIRE tablets from amazon floating around the house and the kids love them. Otherwise the adults mostly use "real" computers. I write and create a lot so a decent keyboard on a laptop plus the 15" screen size is pretty important for me.

I really like reading ebooks on my phone and might enjoy a tablet for that, but probably a 6-7" would be more comfortable in my hand.

For games, I like primarily the PC and secondarily the playstation.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:33 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had a chance to play with the iPad Pro in an Apple store for a few minutes, but then a crying baby in the store emade me so miserable that I had to walk out. I haven't had a chance to go back yet and spend some quality time with one, but they do seem like very nice tablets.

BTW, Costco is selling them for $50 off on their web site if anyone is shopping for one.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 02:31 PM   #49
gone traveling

Our neighbor came over for thanksgiving dinner and he is an electrical engineering professor who is also an Apple user. He recommended getting the iPad Air 2, unless we planned to take notes, draw or were totally enamored by the larger screen size. I took his advice and bought DW an Air 2 from Target for Black Friday that was $150 off (gift card).
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 02:41 PM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Our neighbor came over for thanksgiving dinner and he is an electrical engineering professor who is also an Apple user. He recommended getting the iPad Air 2, unless we planned to take notes, draw or were totally enamored by the larger screen size. I took his advice and bought DW an Air 2 from Target for Black Friday that was $150 off (gift card).

I got an Air2 with WiFi and data just before my trip to Scotland in late August. I love it and use it a lot. As a result, I finally let go of my calling plan for my old iPhone4 and just use an inexpensive flip phone on DH's Consumer Cellular plan. I don't miss the iPhone at all.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-28-2015, 12:53 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I'm sure she will love it. I loved my regular sized iPad as well. That said, I'm personally really enjoying the iPad Pro.

I'm not much at drawing (but do love the Apple pencil for sketching quick things). I do like to take notes and I am totally enamored with the larger screen size. I particularly like the side by side function (note that this can't be used with all apps). I was watching a movie today and it was very easy to use the iPad Pro sitting it in my lap. I was not sorry at all that I moved up to that size.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote