Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone Go To XFinity Mobile for cell plan?
Old 12-06-2018, 08:12 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Anyone Go To XFinity Mobile for cell plan?

We're paying $88/mo for a 4GB two line Verizon plan, DW is persnickety about "lesser" plans. I haven't been able to get her to consider anyone else, to her there are two acceptable providers, Verizon or AT&T period (I've learned to pick my battles).

So from what I can tell, XFinity Mobile is on the Verizon network. Their 4GB plan for two lines is $48/mo. For $90/mo (about what we're paying) we could have an unlimited plan (essentially 20GB before throttling), but we average just over 1GB month for the both of us and have never gone much over 2GB in a month.

You have to be a Comcast subscriber (internet, TV and/or home phone) - we have Comcast internet anyway. There's no contract, just 30 days notice to quit.

Why haven't all Verizon mobile users switched to XFinity Mobile - same network?

I'm going to stop by the Verizon store today and see what they can do, but I thought I'd ask what I might be missing here too.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2018, 08:42 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

We have Verizon and have unlimited data for two lines at $90 month before tax. It’s not tied to two phones.

I wouldn’t lock in my mobile service to Comcast personally. I think it might be hard to negotiate rates if they have everything.

You could keep her on Verizon and go to a cheaper plan that others here use (Cricket, etc.) for your phone.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:48 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Biggest issue for me is that they only let you bring your own iPhone, have to buy one of their expensive Androids if you want to switch with those. They do say in their FAQ that they're working on BYO with Android phones that work on Verizon (pretty much all of the decent unlocked phones now).

I ordered a couple of their free SIMs and will activate one on my wife's iPhone just to use as an emergency backup if we need it in the boonies, since they give you free talk/text with no fees.

We're using Mint Mobile as primary service with 2GB data for $15 mo. per line now, they're a T-Mobile MVNO. Just switched to them with the current 3 mo. promo for $20 per line including 5GB data. Ported out from T-Mobile with no issue. But it's good to have Xfinity as a backup since the Verizon network is much better.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:45 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been on Xfinity Mobile about 8 months. It is on the Verizon network so to email my phone it is my number @vtext

I went for the cheapie plan i.e. pay by the gigabyte and rarely go over 1GB. So I cant say much about data speeds. Call quality is good. There are times where i have service & wife's Sprint phone don't.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:01 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

No idea on Xfinity Mobile, but I recently did some research for DD and DSIL who have Verizon phones and were looking for a better deal... for them totalwireless had a good deal...unlimited talk/text and 15GB of shared 4G LTE data for $57/month for the two lines (with auto-refill). https://www.totalwireless.com/serviceplan

My DS uses PagePlus with his Verizon phone... unlimited talk and text and 2GB of 4G data per month for $27 with auto-refill. https://www.pagepluscellular.com/plans/
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (91.1 KB, 9 views)

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:08 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I don't want more to do with Comcast/Xfinity than I absolutely have to do. I got tired of getting billed for 3-4 pay per view movies at midnight at the same time--month after month. I do have their internet as they're the only fast service available.

And as far as cell service, I'd just as soon not have a cell phone as to deal with them. Come to think of it, I don't even have a cell phone in retirement since I was overdosed on phones while working. I might make 2 phone calls a month.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:21 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
So from what I can tell, XFinity Mobile is on the Verizon network. Their 4GB plan for two lines is $48/mo. For $90/mo (about what we're paying) we could have an unlimited plan (essentially 20GB before throttling), but we average just over 1GB month for the both of us and have never gone much over 2GB in a month.
I'm on it. It works perfectly for your usage pattern. With tax it's more like $30/month for 2 lines between 1GB and 2GB combined. If you don't have a compatible iPhone, you can buy their cheapest phone, activate, and then take the SIM out to your own phone. Sometimes when they do a promotion the cheapest phone will be free after rebate.
thefinancebuff is offline   Reply With Quote