Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone good at Sudoku here?
Old 02-12-2007, 10:56 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone good at Sudoku here?

Does anyone play Sudoku? I've tried solving these puzzles in the daily newspapers many times, but hardly ever get it right. Probably because I'm not a numbers person and math has never been my strong point. I am amazed to see my sister and one of my guy friends solve these puzzles so quickly and effortlessly. Kinda does a number on my self-esteem. :P

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Anyone good at Sudoku here?
Old 02-12-2007, 11:42 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes I think its is great, but there is a misconception that it is a math problem. It's not a math problem, it is a logic problem To prove it just change all the numbers (1-9) to letters (A-I) and you solve the puzzles the same way.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:13 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I Love sudoku. I think you should try the online versions where they have multiple difficulty levels. Will help you with developing a mental algorithm

http://www.websudoku.com/

-h

Old 02-13-2007, 12:18 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw_fire
Yes I think its is great, but there is a misconception that it is a math problem. It's not a math problem, it is a logic problem To prove it just change all the numbers (1-9) to letters (A-I) and you solve the puzzles the same way.
There are many mathematical problems and many areas of mathematics that have nothing to do with numbers. In many mathematical papers the only numbers are the page numbers. Some people would consider logic a part of mathematics and logicians are often in departments of mathematics. The reasoning in Sudoku is similar to the reasoning mathematicians use in proving theorems. If you asked a mathematician to describe mathematics, thye might never mention the word number and describe it as a language and a way of thinking. (Or they might be cute and say that mathematics is what mathematicians do.) You are correct, however, in that you can have fun solving Sudoku puzzles without knowing any formal mathematics.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:52 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw_fire
It's not a math problem, it is a logic problem
Oh, so that's my problem. I forgot to mention that I'm not very good at "logic", either. Of all the math classes, trigonometry (sine, cosine, hypotenuse, etc.) was the most difficult for me. I would never make it as a mathematician or engineer. Will try changing the numbers to letters and see if that helps any.

Iswswein: Thanks for the sudoku website. I'll check it out and will tell my sister and friends (who love these puzzles) about the site. Maybe if I practice more, I'll get better? ..

John Tuttle: Your explanation about logic/math makes sense. I remember when I used to visit my brother-in-law at his office at the University of Washington where he was finishing up his Ph.D. in Theoretical (Astro) Physics. A lot of his research work involved proving theories, and I recall pages of papers he produced with line after line of equations and symbols and lines and squiggles. It did look like a foreign "language". It was definitely all Greek to me.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:34 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

My husband and I love these puzzles. He's sort of an addict. We like to race each other.

I'm quicker at most of them, but he will stick to a really hard one longer than I will.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:39 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I love Sudoku! Has anyone ever done the Sudoku that has 5 blocks to it. Each X represents the 9 big square (81 small squares):
X X
X
X X

where the middle block intersects with the other 4? When I first saw one like this I thought it would be really tough. I did one the other day & it was actually even easier than regular puzzle.

Every step of the journey is the journey.
Bram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:10 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram
I love Sudoku! Has anyone ever done the Sudoku that has 5 blocks to it. Each X represents the 9 big square (81 small squares):
X X
X
X X

where the middle block intersects with the other 4? When I first saw one like this I thought it would be really tough. I did one the other day & it was actually even easier than regular puzzle.
I have never seen one of these.