Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Anyone had their roof done lately?
Old 08-29-2006, 06:42 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

OK, I just had a new roof put on this month. 49 squares, $13,000. 30 yr top of the line asphalt. Tore off one asphalt roof and the underlying cedar shingle roof, and re-decked with radiant barrier plywood (OSB actually). 4 new turbine roof vents. Simple hip roof, one big L-shape, low grade. New flashing, valleys, plumbing vents, etc. I had several bids, but they varied a lot. This is in Dallas. The roofing business is slow because no hail storms all spring or summer. I think the labor cost was at least doubled, maybe tripled, by the tear offs and re-decking, just from watching them and estimating how much time was spent on what. Crew of 5-6 working dawn to dusk for 4 days.
dt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2006, 06:58 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
A good ballpark number is to take the house square footage and add 50 percent then divide by 100 to get an estimate of the number of squares that you'll need. Your roofsize will vary but that number will get you started.
In my case: 2,750 sf house + 450 sf porches = 3,200 sf x 1.5= 4,800 / 100 = 48 squares

The insurance co. measured 51.67 squares (steep roof, oversized garage)

Pretty close, Blaster.

Old 08-29-2006, 07:12 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
In my case:* 2,750 sf house + 450 sf porches = 3,200 sf x 1.5= 4,800 / 100 = 48 squares

The insurance co. measured 51.67 squares (steep roof, oversized garage)
OK so we take your roof size (51.67 squares) and divide that into the price you paid in 2002 ($8100).

I get $156 per* square (or so) for asphault shingles. That's a datapoint for the group. Add in a little for inflation since 02' and take off the grand if your roof isn't so steep. That's probably a wash then in price. My estimate of ~$150/square was pretty close then.

Maybe you can save some if you go with a smaller company. However get some referals as small companies can have widely differing quality.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 09:28 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMcDonald
Looking for recent estimates and roof sizes if you have had your roofs done lately (asphalt shingles).

Just had Home Depot here to get a first estimate on the cost (strip 2 layers of asphalt, all new ridge vents, flashing, 2 chimneys, 5000 SF roof...for just over $40K. (or just over $700/square plus gutters).

Of course they won't break it down for you (itemize it).

I had ballparked it would cost $15K and maybe upto $20K to get the job done....guess I better get out my knee pads, ibuphrofen and go buy a nail gun....

Yikes...anyone care to share their recent experiences?

PS: I started with HD only because I knew I could get them out here fast for a first estimate. DOubtful I will actually use them.
I am a roofing contractor and have 25 years of experience. Home Depot uses subcontractors and marks up the 'installed' price by 25-35% minimum. Where are you located? I would be glad to help you find a good contractor. Here in Southern California the roof you are describing would cost about $3-4 per square foot depending on the type of shingles and pitch of the roof etc..