Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have an iPad 3 with Retina. I may bite on the iPad Mini with Retina when it comes out later.

You should see a big difference in speed compared to the iPad 1/2 and the iPad Air.

Every time they introduced a new iPad, they've said the new one is double the speed of the old one.

Here's a good overview and some things to consider for upgrading:

Should You Upgrade to iPad Air? An iPad Spec Comparison - The Mac Observer

I think if you have any interest in getting a mobile version, you also have 3G for iPad 3 and older versus 4G LTE for iPad 4 and iPad Air to also consider. Big difference in mobile networking speed there.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

I have the 4 and its a lot faster than my old ipad 1. Glad that I upgraded when I did. Since I bought it, I dropped internet at our condo, and I surf the web using only 4G. The 4 is faster on 4G than my old ipad was on wifi
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #23

Thanks for posting this - I had planned to replace Lily (our iPad - original model) with a new Air around Christmas time but this is an awesome sweet deal, so I'm cleaning Lily up now to take her over to Target!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

My retirement has been funded by AAPL shares. Threads like this make me happy!

;-)
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Here's a good overview and some things to consider for upgrading:

Should You Upgrade to iPad Air? An iPad Spec Comparison - The Mac Observer
+2. Good link, no need for me to upgrade yet.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Thanks for posting this - I had planned to replace Lily (our iPad - original model) with a new Air around Christmas time but this is an awesome sweet deal, so I'm cleaning Lily up now to take her over to Target!
Just completed the process...it was very painless, except for waiting 30 minutes for the idiots in front of me to get an android phone and they had no business of even buying a rotary phone. .... Remember to nuke your iPad clean, so it has no records of your info on it! and delink it from your iTunes account. I went ahead and got the Air, so I am up to date on something for the first time in my life, though being cool cost $75 more as the 4 was cheaper and above my needs anyways. Oh well. It appears to be quite a bit faster than my 1, and I don't get kicked out of my internet links. My router and DSL inhibit it's potential, but it's plenty fast enough for me. Also, bad news...if you are in a state that pays sales tax, the $200 rebate comes off the backend, not the front, so you get the privilege of paying sales tax on the full $499!
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

A couple other things I noticed. Like the size of a candy bar, inflation has shrunk the iPad. They did not have covers for it there, so I literally dropped it into my IPad 1
cover. Probably 3/4 of an inch shorter and 1/4 less in width. The actual screen size may have not lost as much, but it is smaller. And extremely thin and light. It feels like I could snap this thing in two with little effort.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry, haven't gone to the dark side.
rockymountainhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #29

Slight glitch in the process.

All of the Target stores in this area are sold out of the Air. First Target I went to said call in the morning to see if any came in. So I checked online and another one nearby supposedly had one. But when I got there, they said they didn't know when they would get any in, but they would take my trade-in and give me the trade-in gift card which I could use to order the iPad from Target.com. Sounded reasonable so I went ahead.

Now I'm home and trying to order the Air. Get to checkout, and the card number isn't accepted as a gift card. Hmmm. Read the (very) small print (as in I needed to get out the magnifying glass) and it says to use online, call a phone number to get instructions. After 10 minutes or so on hold, got someone who explained I had to do the following:
- activate the card on a website which then turned it into a MasterCard gift card ()
- use it as a credit card to purchase an e-mail gift card on Target.com (or take it into a store to do the same)
- use the gift card along with a credit card to buy the Air at Target.com (you can't use two credit cards but you can use a gift card combined with a credit card)

I've ordered the gift card and am now waiting for it to be e-mailed to me.

I feel sorry for the guys working in Target Mobile - there were three people in line with 5 more iPads, and this was the middle of the afternoon on a Wednesday.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Slight glitch in the process. All of the Target stores in this area are sold out of the Air. First Target I went to said call in the morning to see if any came in. So I checked online and another one nearby supposedly had one. But when I got there, they said they didn't know when they would get any in, but they would take my trade-in and give me the trade-in gift card which I could use to order the iPad from Target.com. Sounded reasonable so I went ahead. Now I'm home and trying to order the Air. Get to checkout, and the card number isn't accepted as a gift card. Hmmm. Read the (very) small print (as in I needed to get out the magnifying glass) and it says to use online, call a phone number to get instructions. After 10 minutes or so on hold, got someone who explained I had to do the following: - activate the card on a website which then turned it into a MasterCard gift card () - use it as a credit card to purchase an e-mail gift card on Target.com (or take it into a store to do the same) - use the gift card along with a credit card to buy the Air at Target.com (you can't use two credit cards but you can use a gift card combined with a credit card) I've ordered the gift card and am now waiting for it to be e-mailed to me. I feel sorry for the guys working in Target Mobile - there were three people in line with 5 more iPads, and this was the middle of the afternoon on a Wednesday.
Makes you wonder why you even did it huh? I have read Walmart has them reduced to $479 also. You could just buy it there, and use the credit card/gift card money on monthly incidentals to "pay yourself back".
Old 11-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Thing is, I checked some finished eBay listings and iPad 3 like mine were going for over $300.

Of course it's less hassle to go to the store but the Target site only offered $190 for mine.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Amazon offered me $423.00 for my iPad, but it is an iPad 4 with 64GB and AT&T, so the retail price on it was $829.00. I didn't accept the offer, and now the price has dropped to $399.00. It's worth checking to see what they will offer. They seem to have better deals on the higher end models.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thing is, I checked some finished eBay listings and iPad 3 like mine were going for over $300. Of course it's less hassle to go to the store but the Target site only offered $190 for mine.
Explanade, the $190 quote is only if you are just selling it online. I imagine you would get a real good deal on an iPad 3 trade in at the store if my junker 1 got $200. I about didn't even bother to do this as I have seen previous offers that excluded the 1, so I assumed this would be too, but I read the fine print and it said all of them.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I have a 2 with retina and like it. But I have read a lot of tech reviews that argue that the mini - particularly the new mini with retina display is the better option. They argue that the display is fine for the types of things iPad users use the tablet for and better for reading, travel, holding, etc. When I upgrade I plan to give it a close look.
After my recent Europe trip, I decided I really need an iPad mini for travel . I won't need a cell version. I just need it to be easier to carry around. Retina, of course.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
After my recent Europe trip, I decided I really need an iPad mini for travel . I won't need a cell version. I just need it to be easier to carry around. Retina, of course.
I'm going to bite the bullet and get the cell version, because there are some good prepaid data options in Europe.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm going to bite the bullet and get the cell version, because there are some good prepaid data options in Europe.
Well my husband has an iPhone5, so we would use that with a prepaid data plan in Europe. Otherwise - the wifi is good enough for the laptop and/or iPad.

We would have done that last September while we traveled there, but absolutely everyone was out of nano-SIMs!!!!! I'm hoping the stores get stocked up before our next trip.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
My retirement has been funded by AAPL shares. Threads like this make me happy!

;-)
I can imagine!

I went to the Target site and looked at the ad for iPad trade-ins. It is just as Mulligan said, so I would get at least $200 for my Wi-Fi Ipad 2, if I traded it in on an iPad 4.

After thinking about it, I am not going to do it. I am perfectly happy with the iPad 2, and I just don't see any reason why I would want to pay good money to replace it with an iPad 4 right now.

But don't worry, MPaquette, I was the last person here to get an iPad in the first place so I will probably be the last person to get an iPad 4 as well. In the end, we will each have at least one iPad 4, I am sure.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #38

Quote:

All of the Target stores in this area are sold out of the Air. First Target I went to said call in the morning to see if any came in. So I checked online and another one nearby supposedly had one. But when I got there, they said they didn't know when they would get any in, but they would take my trade-in and give me the trade-in gift card which I could use to order the iPad from Target.com. Sounded reasonable so I went ahead.

Now I'm home and trying to order the Air. Get to checkout, and the card number isn't accepted as a gift card. Hmmm. Read the (very) small print (as in I needed to get out the magnifying glass) and it says to use online, call a phone number to get instructions. After 10 minutes or so on hold, got someone who explained I had to do the following:
- activate the card on a website which then turned it into a MasterCard gift card ()
- use it as a credit card to purchase an e-mail gift card on Target.com (or take it into a store to do the same)
- use the gift card along with a credit card to buy the Air at Target.com (you can't use two credit cards but you can use a gift card combined with a credit card)

I feel sorry for the guys working in Target Mobile - there were three people in line with 5 more iPads, and this was the middle of the afternoon on a Wednesday.
Update: It took a few hours for the e-mail gift card to arrive, but once it did I was able to apply it to the purchase of the iPad Air online with no problem. It shipped this morning so I should have it early next week.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:24 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I went by the store to convert to a Target gift card yesterday. The website they linked you to had all sorts of probs so I decided to see if I could get the card at the store, and it was no problem. Then I placed my order on-line yesterday!
Old 02-04-2014, 09:54 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I have a new iPad air I would like to return. It was given to me as a birthday gift last week. It is New in it's box. I hope to sell it this week. Just cannot seem to get on with Apple stuff. It is space Gray Wi-Fi and 128gb Memory no LTE.

I do not think I could get a buy back for it though.