Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone here a dream interpreter?
Old 06-17-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone here a dream interpreter?

I had the strangest dreams last night. Normally, I sleep like a rock and don't recall dreams. Last night, I kept getting jolted awake by really bizarre dreams:

a) I was driving and put on the brakes but drove into the back of a very high black pickup truck. Oddly, my car had no front end, so my legs were crushed between my car and the axle.

b) someone broke in and was just staring at me from the doorway. I had a sense of evil, but he didn't move

c) I was a child and was abandoned to go live in foster care because no one loved me. (that one is probably pretty easy to interpret )

d) I get a phone call and someone has been in an accident.

And I have had a vague, uneasy feeling all day that something bad is about to happen. My heart is pounding and I've had difficulty breathing for a couple of days (asthma) - nothing to get excited about.

Absolutely nothing has changed in my life - although I did have a lot of visitors last week.

I'm driving 2 hours to go to a hot springs tonight. Maybe that will help me relax.

Anyone care to guess what the heck it all means?

Nui
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No, I have no idea what the dreams mean. However, I thought I'd mention a related matter. Like you, in the past, I never remembered my dreams, but since I retired, I often do remember, now. My dreams themselves aren't very interesting -- last night I was going to be late for an important appointment. But that's a common sort of dream, I believe.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Aloha,

I tend to really follow my gut instincts. Something is telling me to be careful. I'm going to drive really slowly this weekend.

Nui
Old 06-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, your dreams last night sounded really unnerving.

For comparison, last night I dreamed that my daughter was about 9 years old again, and we were at a roadside hotdog stand. She couldn't decide whether to order cola or something called "mystery drink", so I told her that I would order the cola and if she didn't like the mystery drink we could trade. It turned out to be grape and she loved it.

My interpretation of my own dream: I miss the days when she was a little girl and we had lots of daily mommy-daughter fun and give-and-take. But overall my dream sounds so normal and placid compared with yours!

Assuming that you aren't sick and didn't eat any bad food, I think you are on the right track. I can't see that it would do any harm to play it safe for a few days, and that might help you deal with it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nuiloa-

Although I don't always have bad dreams, in my dreams, cars and phones are always bad. Just like in a Steven King novel, cars refuse to obey the wheel, or the brakes won't work, or my feet can't reach the pedals. Any time the phone rings, I know there will be something/somebody bad on the other end. I believe these dreams mean something in my life is out of control, or about to become so.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:23 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I figure that dreams are simply the result of the brain doing a random 'data dump' of all the superfluous information your mind has accumulated over the short term.........while one part of the brain is eliminating this overload in a willy-nilly fashion another part is attempting to make some sense of it......like trying to glue shredded documents back together.....unsuccessfully....so that it ends up like a bad movie, no theme.

BWTFDIK?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:05 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
I had the strangest dreams last night. Normally, I sleep like a rock and don't recall dreams. Last night, I kept getting jolted awake by really bizarre dreams:

a) I was driving and put on the brakes but drove into the back of a very high black pickup truck. Oddly, my car had no front end, so my legs were crushed between my car and the axle.

b) someone broke in and was just staring at me from the doorway. I had a sense of evil, but he didn't move

c) I was a child and was abandoned to go live in foster care because no one loved me. (that one is probably pretty easy to interpret )

And I have had a vague, uneasy feeling all day that something bad is about to happen. My heart is pounding and I've had difficulty breathing for a couple of days (asthma) - nothing to get excited about.

Absolutely nothing has changed in my life - although I did have a lot of visitors last week.

I'm driving 2 hours to go to a hot springs tonight. Maybe that will help me relax.

Anyone care to guess what the heck it all means?

Nui
It means you are gay. Start going to the correct bars/parades.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:49 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

At the hot springs be sure to order three Martinis. Stirred, not shaken.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:29 AM   #9
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
It means you are gay. Start going to the correct bars/parades.

IMHO, dreams mean nothing - in reality of our lives.

Anybody that wishes to link a dream to reality is just trying to link an "odd situation" to what is real life - nothing more than that.

However, I won't say you are incorrect in your question. It's human nature to link an "event" (not reality) to life (reality), IMHO.
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I'm not a dream intepreter. but what the heck, I'll give it a shot. Don't take my comments too seriously. I'm a FIREd Engineer.

You have control (driving and braking), but no protection (no front end) from harm (leg injury).

b) someone broke in and was just staring at me from the doorway. I had a sense of evil, but he didn't move.
You feel vulnerable.

Someone you trusted "abandoned" you, again a "no protection" situation.

Something is unresolved and you are expecting/dreading a bad outcome.

I have wierd dreams every once in a while. They feature familiar faces but the people in my dreams get inserted into places they don't belong, or do things they wouldn't have in real life. Must have been the pepperoni pizza.

I hope your hot springs visit helped.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:51 AM   #11

Nemo2 is correct. When you sleep your brain is shooting random electrical signals, and the logical part of your brain is doing its best to make sense of those random signals, which become those weird dreams.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Must have been the pepperoni pizza.
Or cold mince pies!
Quote:

And they sang 'You're asleep! There is no board-fence,
And never a Goblin with green-glass eyes!--
'Tis only a vision the mind invents
After a supper of cold mince-pies,--
And you're doomed to dream this way,' they said,--
'_And you sha'n't wake up till you're clean plum dead!_'

The Nine Little Goblins by James Whitcomb Riley
Old 06-18-2011, 11:15 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
Nemo2 is correct. When you sleep your brain is shooting random electrical signals, and the logical part of your brain is doing its best to make sense of those random signals, which become those weird dreams.
Perhaps. But even if this is true, that does not mean that searching for meaning in these dreams is useless. People pay over $200/hr to have done Rorschach tests, and TAT tests. At worst, dreams are inexpensive looks at the way one interprets ambiguous stimuli at given juncture in life, without the censorship of the awake, conscious mind.

Ha
Old 06-18-2011, 01:50 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Perhaps. But even if this is true, that does not mean that searching for meaning in these dreams is useless. People pay over $200/hr to have done Rorschach tests, and TAT tests.
Certainly not useless for whomever is conducting the tests and pocketing the cash.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:47 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

After the thread where multiple people were adamant about ghosts and haunted houses, I thought there'd be much more irrationality in this thread.. I was pleasantly surprised.

Also brewer made me lol.
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:59 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

OMG! The crazy dreams keep coming. Last night, I dreamed I was sitting in a room when a small brown and white monkey came up and bit my pinky finger. I spent the rest of the night alternately chasing him or holding him by the scruff of the neck and begging someone to find me a box and a banana to feed him. I was also arguing that I didn't need a rabies shot because he didn't break the skin.

I am definitely going to get a cat scan if this keeps up
Old 06-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
I am definitely going to get a cat scan if this keeps up
Forget the scan, just get a cat......they're good with monkeys.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:19 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Forget the scan, just get a cat......they're good with monkeys.

LOL!
Old 06-23-2011, 03:01 PM   #19
Administrator

These are clear signs you are working too hard.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:09 PM   #20

Dream interpretation is at best meaningless, at worst dangerous. There is no published psychological research on it. Anyone claiming to be able to interpret dreams is somewhere between moderately deluded and - especially if asking for $ - abusing your trust. Please, just walk away from those people.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote