Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone here have an online business?
Old 06-12-2010, 12:34 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Anyone here have an online business?

I am interested in starting an online business and was wondering if anyone here has done it and what would be the best place to gather information before jumping in?

Obviously looking to get into the business as cheaply as possible and slowly grow the business as funds become available. This would not be my primary source of income; more of a supplemental thing (unless it really takes off).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2010, 10:33 AM   #2

C'mon, nobody has any input? Are you telling me that everyone has earned enough to retire early strictly through investment strategies?

Not looking for a step by step tutorial on how to get rich, just a little guideance.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:41 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not sure what you are looking at doing - there are people here who sell on Ebay at various levels; this board is itself a money making venture, what are you thinking of? I rent apartments using Craigslist often, but don't think that is the kind of interment business to which you are referring. More information may get you more response.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneida100 View Post
Not looking for a step by step tutorial on how to get rich, just a little guideance.
_ Buy at wholesale sell at retail.
_ Maintain a margin that leaves you a profit after labor, overhead, and taxes.
_ Rinse and repeat often.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:45 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I sold the computer software that I wrote (primarily a time and billing package) online. Without the Internet, the business wouldn't have survived. I started around 1988 -- and the Internet was quite different then.

My strategy was also to keep expenses very low, shrink wrapping packages in my basement, for example, and doing my own PR. It worked for me, but who knows, a "spend money to make money" approach may have been better.

Good luck!
Old 06-13-2010, 11:16 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I would not call it an online business but I am an ebay powerseller . For me it's a lucrative hobby . I've been doing it for three and a half years . I started with things around my house and it grew from there . You need to have a knowledge of your items especially when you sell antiques . It also helps if you love to shop and if you are a garage sale person ( which I am not ). I do it more for the keeping busy than the money ( most of which I give away or fritter away on trips ) . It has also helped me get some photograhy skills .
Old 06-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have an online business. Have had it for 7 years and started it with the idea of just generating enough to pay for all of our insurance and taxes for both homes. My business is a drop ship business. I take the orders, then send them off to the vendor to fill. No inventory.

Yahoo Small Business is the platform I use. It is really easy to use, includes all sorts of features and integrates nicely with Paypal and a merchant account. I've operated it now for 7 years. You can PM me with questions if you like.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:20 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have had an online business for four years. I found a good web person to design my website with a shopping cart; it is authentic-looking, and I don't have other advertisers listed on it. I "work" about 15 hours per week, and have found that contact with my customers is energizing and fun. As an artist, I can channel creativity into this project. I still consider myself "retired." Basically, I:

Have a local web designer and tech assistance
Use a local internet company
Sell a product for which there is demand
Use a local part-time bookkeeper plus a C.P.A.
Set up a merchant account through a bank
Signed up for PayPal
Incorporated (Inc) with the help of an attorney to protect our assets
Trademarked my products, logo, etc.
Keep a good relationship with an attorney for "troubleshooting."

We own two homes in full. This business has enabled us to finish building our "off the grid" house until we can rent out the house we are living in. We have not had to touch our retirement accounts. Once we are collecting rent checks and collecting Social Security, we will re-assess.

Sorry I didn't post before...best of luck with your venture! And, feel free to send my a private message as well...
Old 06-13-2010, 10:55 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneida100 View Post
C'mon, nobody has any input? Are you telling me that everyone has earned enough to retire early strictly through investment strategies?
Mostly through aggressive savings or high-paying jobs.

But, yeah, the 1982-2000 bull market was one heckuva tailwind.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:15 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Mostly through aggressive savings or high-paying jobs.

Damn boomers. Hogged it all up and barely left any crumbs for the rest of us. Typical.

I think drop ship is the way to go, assuming you can find the right niche.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:56 PM   #11

Thanks guys for all of the replies; I think that drop shipping is the route that I am going to explore. I'm not looking to get mega rich, although that would be very nice, I am mainly concerned with providing some stability and financial insurance for my family should I ever lose my job.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:20 PM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe

I bought an online business in 2002, and it has grown to several million dollars in annual revenue. I paid $20k for it, the best investment of my life! I'm hoping to sell it this year, and FIRE! That said, it was a lot of hard work... I found online resources extremely helpful, particularly info on Internet marketing (which is critical for success).
Old 06-22-2010, 08:51 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Damn boomers. Hogged it all up and barely left any crumbs for the rest of us...
I have said here that life isn't fair. But eventually we boomers have to go through the "distribution" phase for our equities. Step right up and buy, buy, buy...