Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-12-2007, 06:00 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Anybody have a link to a video that would show what it would be like to interact with others in second life? Seems like an obvious thing to have on the FAQ page, but I couldn't find anything.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2007, 06:20 PM   #22
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Anybody have a link to a video that would show what it would be like to interact with others in second life? Seems like an obvious thing to have on the FAQ page, but I couldn't find anything.

Looking for some virtual action ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 06:35 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I've always been curious and since I was super bored today and saw this thread I signed up. At the start you have to pass 4 tutorials on how to speak, move, etc. I don't know if it's my computer or the program itself but it is very slow. This alone made me never want to play it again. I think it's one of those things that you could really get into, but for that too happen it would require a significant amount of time.
accountingsucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:11 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Amazing.

So it's not enough that we have 24/7 news in the 'real world' we now can have news about 2nd life non real events? Like a 3 dimensional soap opera?

I mean one side of me finds it fascinating - but the other side is saying "Boy those winters are long up north!"

I'm trying to get my first world working without too much self delusion...

Anyone else have an attraction/revulsion response to this? Or am I just, uh... 'different'?

Be well,

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Old 11-13-2007, 03:54 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have too much to do and too much fun in my first life to spend time in another one.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:11 PM   #26

This whole addiction to technology is scary in its ramifications for the future and people who would enjoy living in a psuedo world should maybe have a talk with their therapist.
As a long time sci-fi enthusiast some of those ramifications have probably been foreseen,eg "We are the Borg,resistance is futile"
Holodecks? imagine how many people would become addicted to those and choose to live their whole lives in a virtual reality.
Then there is the concept of computers becoming self aware "i think i think therefore i am" and all the imaginative scenarios that will ensue.
A Wiki on Raymond Kursweil is enlightening on where we may be going in the future..
Old 11-13-2007, 07:31 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
This whole addiction to technology is scary in its ramifications for the future and people who would enjoy living in a psuedo world should maybe have a talk with their therapist.
I bet there were similar warnings for TV.

And radio.

And them new-fangled motion-picture theaters...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:04 AM   #28

Nords, I bet you are right. I find the future exciting and full of promise.

People will abuse anything they can if they can - the choice is ours.

A
Old 11-20-2007, 01:36 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
This whole addiction to technology is scary in its ramifications for the future ....
....on where we may be going in the future..
While the concept might ultimately be realized in some form, the predictability of the timing tends to be off -
In 1949, while reading of the scary future predicted for 1984, still hasn't come even remotely totally true in 2007, and likely would take another 50 years and still not come to pass.
Or in 1969 while contemplating the moon landing and how quickly that occured from the Kennedy challenge, it was easy to accept that by the year 2000, we would have fully operation colonies on the moon. Don't think that's likely for another 50 years either.
I'm sure we are going somewhere in the future, just not when or where. My sig line may color my thinking though.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:02 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitestick View Post

In 1949, while reading of the scary future predicted for 1984, still hasn't come even remotely totally true in 2007, and likely would take another 50 years and still not come to pass.
I recently read an interesting opinion piece on 'Big Brother is watching'. The writer felt that modern technology has actually turned the tables on 'Big Brother' - that with blogs and instant internet access, politicians and big corps have a harder time getting away with stuff. It is actually the common man watching 'Big Brother'.

I think there is a lot of truth to that. Of course, we don't know what we don't know.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:02 PM   #31

whitestick:

Quote:
I'm sure we are going somewhere in the future, just not when or where. My sig line may color my thinking though.
I have to agree with you on both counts, Whitestick. There are so many unknown factors that can cause the future to go in a variety of tangents -how could we possibly predict? I like your signature line... if we have a limited horizon... our future is colored by that.

Candace Pert, Ph.D., (Molecules of Emotion, Your Body is Your Subconscious Mind, etc.) states that we see the world through our memories (which are, in part, chemical). Since we do that, we are constantly 'proving ourselves right' because we discount anything that doesn't fit in with our sense of reality.

ERD50
Quote:
It is actually the common man watching 'Big Brother'.

Let freedom ring, eh?

Be well,
Akaisha
Old 11-20-2007, 07:56 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This forum is the only "second life" that I have, other than my work which is online with a company I have never interviewed with and supervisors I have never met in person.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 06:36 PM   #33

Hi Oldbabe,

This is sort of what I mean... we are living in a world of such possibilities due to the World Wide Web -- employment and news options being just 2 important changes. We have already influenced our world in massive ways by this internet connection - and from my perspective, many of them have been positive.

As human beings, there will always be the tendency to 'abuse' some thing or another. It's not so much the 'thing' as it is the psychological tendency towards abusing. (IMO)

That is amazing that you have never been interviewed nor have seen your employer! So there ya go...

Be well,
Akaisha