Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone joined Second Life?
Old 09-29-2007, 09:12 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Anyone joined Second Life?

So there I was yesterday, at our local Ayurvedic health spa getting my ion foot spa treatment and I picked up the July 30, 2007 issue of Newsweek.

The cover page story was called Reality Bites: Why are millions of healthy people choosing to live their lives online? Welcome to Second Life. Second Life: Your World. Your Imagination.

I read the piece with interest because I enjoy the opportunities digital media offers.

Apparently there are educational opportunities, social opportunities, collaborating research, and even business making opportunities where you can buy and sell virtual space, even private islands which sell on eBay(!)

More than 45 multinational companies, including American Apparel, IBM, General Motors and Dell are using the medium for customer service, sales and marketing. People are utilizing chat technology with Skype in this vitural world also.

Second Life’s virtual world’s currency is in Linden dollars but it can be cashed out through the company into U.S. dollars and deposited directly into your checking account. Apparently, there are big bucks to be made! One man makes $300 (USD) a day selling virtual clothing for people’s Avatars…

I’m still trying to get my ‘First Life’ together as I would like it, let alone beginning a ‘Second Life.’ Part of this creeps me out, and another part I find fascinating...

Has anyone here joined? What do you know about this web-based alternative world?

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2007, 09:26 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy View Post
Part of this creeps me out, and another part I find fascinating...
That's my take on it also. Plus a little fear of getting drawn into it. I just recently heard about it on a Science Friday podcast, and now they are doing some interactive Second Life stuff with the show itself.

I already spend too much time on-line. I'm going to pass I think, but I am wondering what I'm missing. A little.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:39 PM   #3

I briefly logged onto it and checked it out, but quickly felt like I didn't need another "world" to escape to... so now I'm back to focusing on my first life as ERD put it.

There are some great opportunities for ingenuity on there. I may consider it more as additional marketing than a place I actively seek entertainment out of.

So if you see a guy on SL with only a loin-cloth preaching about peace and spiritual stories, it might be me.
Peaceful_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 10:52 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
What do you know about this web-based alternative world?
I haven't joined but I've followed the articles & blogs.

It's like mixing a discussion board with Dungeons & Dragons (or "World of Warcraft" for you youngsters) and better graphics. Probably faster response speed, too.

As with all the above activities, it's a great way to waste incredible amounts of time find innovative ways to interact with people others who are very interested in profiting from transactions there to share new types of camaraderie and experiences.

People are making money through micro-credit businesses to sell real estate, build houses, decorate rooms, clothe (or unclothe) their avatars, and so on. Spouse has suggested selling a small gecko simulation to randomly run across people's walls (just like here) but it sounds suspiciously like work.

I think the creators of Second Life read Neal Stephenson's "Snow Crash" and immediately got to work.

All we need now are better VR goggles and lifelike touchy-feely gloves...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 02:52 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I heard about it. It is a bit of a game. Some have considered using it for other purposes... as a virtual forum for business.

I read an article that indicated it had been hacked into.

Some probably use it as entertainment... no harm in that. Here was something interesting. Second Life world may be haven for terrorists - Telegraph The most interesting part was about Google at the bottom.

Here is another idea that never made any sense to me... I suspect it only makes sense to the people collecting the money. I wonder how many people write a check for this ^%$%#* idea. International Star Registry: Name a Star And you even get a certificate.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:09 AM   #6

Nords
Quote:
Spouse has suggested selling a small gecko simulation to randomly run across people's walls (just like here) but it sounds suspiciously like work.
That’s probably a very workable idea… something that would sell - a cutesy gecko.

What bothered me when I read some of the FAQ’s was that it talked about the playful war games and how one can buy and sell weapons, etc… I dunno… ‘playful’ and ‘war games’ just don’t seem to go together..

Nords:
Quote:
a great way to waste incredible amounts of time find innovative ways to interact with people
Right. It’s not like I need something else to keep me sitting in a chair any longer than I do already! And besides, what’s wrong with ‘real life’ interaction with ‘real life’ people? Heh heh.

Chinaco
Quote:
Some have considered using it for other purposes... as a virtual forum for business.
I saw that mentioned, although I don’t have a clue as to how that goes. Virtual land, funny money, virtual clothing for fantasy people - and it brings in real US dollars… ?

Quote:
The most interesting part was about Google at the bottom.
Yeah, I read that.. A little creepy too, eh?

Billy read the other day where there are interactive ads - don’t know if it was through Skype or not, but as you and your friend are speaking with each other, the ads on the page pick up through voice recognition software what you are chatting about. Soon, the ads start to drive the conversations themselves as proven by the pilot program.

Sheesh. Just what we need! More incentive to consume!

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer’s Guide to Early Retirement
Old 09-30-2007, 07:36 AM   #7

I seem to be a bit like others -- heard about it, am somewhat interested in it in the abstract, but not as a personal interest. The sociological phenomenon is what I think of if I consider it at all; much like I am interested in subprime mortgage behavior or gambliing, or the other things the folks who share the planet with me do.
DRiP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 12:29 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I joined and "played" pretty heavily for two weeks. I play games periodically and was curious about Second Life because of the apparent business interest and the fact that it's free.

My conclusion was that businesses are piling into Second Life as a way to advertise their brands to particular demographics and not in a vision of operating profitably there.

I think Second Life is somewhat analogous to MySpace or a forum in purpose. There are some who attempt to make it into an action game (the weapons), but the environment really isn't built for it and the flight sim and combat action will likely never approach the experience of a purpose-built gaming environment.

As far as making money there, that's largely a pipe dream, too. Sure, a few individuals have made lots of money and quite a few make some okay side money, but if you have dollar signs in your eyes realize that you're going up against people from all over the world who have already been modelling in 2-D and 3-D tools and programming previously. Your US$ profit is going to be pennies per item sold.

I had somone give me 20 Linden dollars (a few pennies in US$) and only spent L$3 of it at a virtual junkyard and picked up enough free stuff to keep me quite entertained for the time I spent there.

To give an idea, if this forum were run like 2nd life you might send in a few bucks to get a few hundred ERF bucks, and some of us would design custom smileys, avatars and animations that you might buy from us for ERF bucks to make your posts more unique to you.

I just reread my post and think it sounds negative. I'm not down on Second Life, I'm just anti-hype.

On the plus side there is an immersion in virtual gatherings that is not available in forums or MySpace. I see possibilities in group meetings and perhaps training. The 3-D avatars offer situational awareness and ad-hoc interaction that you don't get with teleconferencing, and the customized 3-D avatars offer ice-breakers for conversation.

EDIT: On an upside for the money, it is a pretty cheap one-time expense to buy whatever neat stuff you want, like specialized clothing and toys. If I were to spend real money I'd buy a parachute with extra tricks and features, maybe a nifty flying machine of some sort and a sailboat.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:56 PM   #9

i read on another parenting forum that it's breaking up a lot of relationships...since you can have a second life partner (wife or husband, girlfriend, whatever) on there and they even have avatar sex! please...that's kind of lame...i wonder if they have virtual laundry, dishes and dust.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:46 PM   #10

Quote:
i read on another parenting forum that it's breaking up a lot of relationships...since you can have a second life partner (wife or husband, girlfriend, whatever) on there and they even have avatar sex! please...that's kind of lame...i wonder if they have virtual laundry, dishes and dust.
I did wonder about that factor -- so much time spent in fantasy that it would be easy to neglect 'real life' issues like one's real spouse and/or children..

IMO we need to be more present in our lives not less present. That's the part that creeped me out... But then I thought it might just be me.

It's fun to play cards, have a happy hour, and get jazzed up over buying something new, but if playing cards turns into a gambling addiction, happy hour turns into over the top drinking, and buying turns into pure consumerism -- for me, it's just too much.

Personally, I enjoy animation and -- being an artist -- I'm a color freak. Love love colors. I'm concerned that if I joined, I may have 'too much fun' (?) with the colors?

Hello, my name is Akaisha, and I'm a color addict.

Gawd.

Time to get a 'real' Thai massage, not a virtual one!

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Old 09-30-2007, 08:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
I heard the same thing about email and instant messaging when they were new. I figure it's a problem with people and not the technology, but who knows? Arguably my BiL's first marriage broke up due to email and IM.

As far as sex, yeah there's a lot of that. The 3-D avatars are as anatomically correct as Ken and Barbie...but of course you can build anything you want--including gestures and sounds--and if you look in the right places I'm sure you'll find something already built to disturb you. Beyond the initial "hey, look at this" I don't get it myself.

You can avoid the adult stuff if you want. The "land" has a flag for "adult content", and you're not supposed to be naked or do other adult stuff in non-adult areas.

Get a First Life: A One Page Satire of Second Life
Old 09-30-2007, 08:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Personally, I enjoy animation and -- being an artist -- I'm a color freak. Love love colors. I'm concerned that if I joined, I may have 'too much fun' (?) with the colors?

Hello, my name is Akaisha, and I'm a color addict.

Gawd.
I spent several hours scripting the ears on my fox suit to twitch properly. It can definitely be a time waster (or artistic use of time).
Old 09-30-2007, 09:15 PM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I can't stay ahead of my first life.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim View Post
and you're not supposed to be naked or do other adult stuff in non-adult areas.
Man, if I had a nickel for every time I've heard that....
Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 11:57 PM   #15

AFP: Estonia to open embassy in virtual world Second Life

"Tech-savvy Baltic state Estonia is to open an embassy in the Internet fantasy world Second Life, joining the likes of Sweden and the Maldives, the foreign ministry said Friday."

"The virtual embassy will be located in the Second Life website, that has nearly 10 million registered users and already hosts a virtual site of Sweden," Marten Kokk, deputy chancellor at the ministry, told AFP.

"The virtual embassy will not offer services like visa granting via the Internet, it's technically too complicated," said Kokk.

"But we will include the links to the sites of the foreign ministry where all relevant info for visa applicants and other consular services will be located, as well as a vast list of info about political, economic and cultural life."

The virtual embassy will be launched on November 11, marking the anniversary of the foreign ministry's establishment in 1918 when Estonia became fully independent.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:03 PM   #16

wonder if this will start any virtual wars or trade deficits? you're buying more virtual trinket's than you make...ha!
Old 10-01-2007, 08:46 PM   #17

Bigmoneyjim

That was hilarious. Thanks for the laugh. “Your world. Sorry about that.” what a kick.
Khan
Quote:
I can't stay ahead of my first life.

Well that’s my point exactly. Aside from the educational aspects - virtual classrooms and courses, and curiosity about the business opportunities, I wasn’t really interested in the Avatars and clothing/sex things. (What if my Avatar had the wrong ‘dangly parts’? sheee…)

I mean, I have enough going on with my first life and don’t need or want the distraction of a second one! Cripes.

That’s why I started this thread, wondering if I was missing something … ??

Trek
Quote:
"Tech-savvy Baltic state Estonia is to open an embassy in the Internet fantasy world Second Life, joining the likes of Sweden and the Maldives, the foreign ministry said Friday."
Well, see, there ya go. Someone sees opportunity here… I still feel like I’m missing something…?
Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer’s Guide to Early Retirement
Old 10-01-2007, 09:34 PM   #18

i dunno, i think the corps just see a market and dive in...the governments and foundations getting involved makes me think they are "trying" to look like they are ahead of the game instead of behind it...but come on, let's fix real poverty before addressing "virtual poverty"!
Old 10-01-2007, 10:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Well, see, there ya go. Someone sees opportunity here… I still feel like I’m missing something…?
Well, if you have the PC to handle the "game" and a broadband connection you can get into it for free. You don't have to buy land or spend money.

For some reason I found virtual dancing an enjoyable diversion. I also decided the furries were more interesting. If you're going to watch virtual people, why not watch ones that look like squirrels, foxes and giraffes? Dancing virtual furries...hours of fun.

I also got a small kick out of skydiving and sailing.

If you're into role play of any sort, there are role play groups for all sorts of things like Harry Potter, Firefly, whatever.

But if you're retired and live in beautiful areas it's amusing to me to imagine you immersed in a 2nd Life world.

If you're a designer, an odd thing I noticed is that you can create 3D objects in-game for free, but if you wanted to custom paint them with something you create in Photoshop or similar on your own PC you have to pay to upload the files. It's cheap, but I thought that was odd. On the other hand there are tons of free textures in-game, and you can layer them, alter their colors and all sorts of other stuff, so there's no lack of free ways to color and paint your creations.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:28 PM   #20

CNN enters the virtual world of Second Life - CNN.com

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote