Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone know of a forum for widows?
Old 10-07-2008, 05:56 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Anyone know of a forum for widows?

My FIL died about a year and a half ago, and my MIL is doing well but of course it's not easy to adjust after 35 years of marriage. She went to a grief group at her church, which was fine while it lasted but not great enough to go back again. And she's finding some new interests and doing ok hanging out with friends. We're not worried about her being depressed or anything. But I know she was looking for a while for a widow's group online and she never found one. I think she'd really like having other people to talk to who have been through the same thing.

I did some searching but didn't come up with anything that wasn't religious (she's Methodist but not especially church-y). Does anyone know of any widow's forums?

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2008, 07:20 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Maybe one of our administrators would know....Andy? Janet? Have you come across anything like this?
Interesting that as computer use becomes more and more common, forums and online communities of all kinds will surely crop up for older folks. My mom is not remotely computer literate (and my dad likes the idea she can't order stuff online) so I couldn't imagine her looking for online groups to join, but her sisters that are just a few years younger are very savvy.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:22 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

AARP has a very decent grief forum that i used for a while.
see Grief & Loss
FWIW, i myself needed one on one contact with a counselor. i never went to a group format, and most of the widows i talked to regretted going to them. most said they made them feel worse...
i am very sorry for her and your loss. i have walked thru this broken glass.
but i can give you a message of hope for your MIL.
she can and will survive this tragedy. it can be done. i am sending her some of my strength.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:30 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

don't have one i can vouch for. but might i suggest googling bereavement forum, not widow's forum. seems to be quite a few.

(mom had joined a real-time bereavement group when the ol'man died. she found it helpful at first but after a while she found it to be just depressing and so moved on.)

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:44 PM   #5

Not only for widows and more geared to fun activities but the "Red Hat Society" seems to be a good social outlet. Many widows do get cut out of activities from the couples. Been there, done that, and long ago put away the t-shirt.
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:49 PM   #6

WidowNet
Peter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:19 AM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

AOL used to have one that was pretty active . It was fine when I was newly widowed but after awhile it gets depressing . I'd second the red hat society .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:56 AM   #8

Thanks for the great replies and suggestions, that was quick! I'll check these out and pass them along. I think she'll be excited to at least see what's there, even if it's not quite what she's looking for.

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:38 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Old 10-08-2008, 05:51 PM   #10

I read the title too quickly and thought "XP or Vista?"
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote