Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Anyone know search engine optimization?
Old 07-17-2006, 05:50 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
thefed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,203
Anyone know search engine optimization?

If you dont know what that means, you can likely move on

I have a local guy trying to sell me 1 yrs worth of SEO for $1k. It seems a bit steep to me, but it did pique my interest.

I have an air duct cleaning business, and I get about 5 jobs/month from yahoo and google targeted marketing. Obviously the web is helping me a lot.

SO how do I get my page at the top of the major search engine results without paying for it? Any help would be appreciated....
__________________

__________________
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Anyone know search engine optimization?
Old 07-17-2006, 09:40 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 273
Re: Anyone know search engine optimization?

No expert here but I do believe that involves submissions to the various engines, links to other "crawled" pages ( and I do believe that most engines don't crawl more than 1-2 pages deep) and wordage, i.e. mentioning a website in an actively crawled forum (like this one perhaps). Oh, web page headers get alot of attention from google I guess.

Remember the brownie batter blizzard from dairy queen? I know a guy who had his web site pulled up whenever anyone typed that phrase into google. Site had nothing to do with Dairy Queen. He did say it was quite a bit of work as google constantly changes the search algorithm and was getting harder to fool.
__________________

__________________
time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana
larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Anyone know search engine optimization?
Old 07-17-2006, 09:47 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 273
Re: Anyone know search engine optimization?

Sorry, but I forgot specific phrases. Where as "air duct cleaning" might return millions of pages of hits, "sam's quality air duct cleaning" will narrow it down to put you first possibly. Mispellings also will help, "air duck" cleaning might get you a #1 ranking immediately. It will take alot of effort to narrow down phrases that would work for you. Remember, this also requires someone searching for air duct cleaning to type in that specific phrase.
__________________
time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana
larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Anyone know search engine optimization?
Old 07-17-2006, 10:31 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 25
Re: Anyone know search engine optimization?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed

SO how do I get my page at the top of the major search engine results without paying for it?* Any help would be appreciated....
You are in competition with about 100,000,000,000 other people trying to do the same thing--get at the top of the SE results pages without paying.* Today there are so many variables in the SE algorithms, and they change so often, that I doubt anyone really can get you there for $1,000, or for that matter any price.

I suggest that you consider instead Adwords--"pay per click" advertising with Google.* I have been using it for my construction business for several years with great success.* In your business you could probably get the top sponsored ad for a couple of dollars a click, or less.* Plus, you can start your ad immediately—you don’t have to wait months and months trying to optimize your website for the search engines.

You can target Adwords campaigns to a local area by connecting dots on a map to include, or exclude, any neighborhoods for your trade territory.* If you use this feature you won't be getting people clicking on your ad that are not potential customers.* Or you can just set your target area at "x" miles from your location. (If you are nationwide you can do that also).

If you haven't done it before it may take a while to familiar with all the ins and outs of the Adwords system, but it isn't too complicated and it is much more likely to get you business than trying to use SEO techniques.
__________________
eriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Anyone know search engine optimization?
Old 07-18-2006, 11:03 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,196
Re: Anyone know search engine optimization?

I've been involved with this for years.* If you google "time and billing" you'll see my (ex) company's page, www.ResponsiveSoftware.com, in the #3 spot.

Your competition isn't too bad (maybe 10 companies) if you consider that your target searchers will probably search for something like this:

"duct cleaning yourtown, yourstate"

for example:

"duct cleaning cleveland ohio"

With a little time and effort, you should be able to get good at SEO.* There will be some trial and error learning, and unfortunately, it takes time to see how changes to your page will affect your ranking.*

The process involves learning all the tricks for getting high rankings, modifying your page, and comparing it with competitor's pages that rank above you.* You only care about the top 10 search engine sites.

Here's a recommendation: spend a few days learning about SEO and then decide.* Webposition.com is a good place to start, and that's a product that I've used and I recommend.* They include a lot of tips with the product.*

You can probably do as good a job as the consultant.* Can you hire him for just a month, have him modify your site, and then learn enough to take over?

Hope that helps (and sorry about the beaver's B.O. joke)!
__________________
Al
TromboneAl is online now   Reply With Quote
Re: Anyone know search engine optimization?
Old 07-18-2006, 11:19 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,196
Re: Anyone know search engine optimization?

P.S. when I googled duct cleaning in your area, I saw your very effective sponsored link at the top, and not much competition. You probably don't need the consultant.
__________________
Al
TromboneAl is online now   Reply With Quote
Re: Anyone know search engine optimization?
Old 07-18-2006, 01:18 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
thefed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,203
Re: Anyone know search engine optimization?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriter
You are in competition with about 100,000,000,000 other people trying to do the same thing--get at the top of the SE results pages without paying. Today there are so many variables in the SE algorithms, and they change so often, that I doubt anyone really can get you there for $1,000, or for that matter any price.

I suggest that you consider instead Adwords--"pay per click" advertising with Google. I have been using it for my construction business for several years with great success. In your business you could probably get the top sponsored ad for a couple of dollars a click, or less. Plus, you can start your ad immediately—you don’t have to wait months and months trying to optimize your website for the search engines.

You can target Adwords campaigns to a local area by connecting dots on a map to include, or exclude, any neighborhoods for your trade territory. If you use this feature you won't be getting people clicking on your ad that are not potential customers. Or you can just set your target area at "x" miles from your location. (If you are nationwide you can do that also).

If you haven't done it before it may take a while to familiar with all the ins and outs of the Adwords system, but it isn't too complicated and it is much more likely to get you business than trying to use SEO techniques.
I already do use Adwords. I also use Yahoo's target marketing system.

But I know I personally 'block out' those ads and go for the actual search results....so I think some SEO would help.

But youre right, the targeted marketing rocks for our type of business.
__________________
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Anyone know search engine optimization?
Old 07-18-2006, 01:21 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
thefed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,203
Re: Anyone know search engine optimization?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
P.S. when I googled duct cleaning in your area, I saw your very effective sponsored link at the top, and not much competition. You probably don't need the consultant.
Thanks for noticing :-)

I do have to say though, as I just mentioned in the previous post, that when I am searching on google/yahoo, I mentally block out those ads. Maybe its just me? dont think so

I think being in the top 3 search results could double my internet exposure (and thus double my income...as most of my leads are coming from the net lately)
__________________
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Anyone know search engine optimization?
Old 07-18-2006, 07:24 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.
Arif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 761
Re: Anyone know search engine optimization?

Quote:
I do have to say though, as I just mentioned in the previous post, that when I am searching on google/yahoo, I mentally block out those ads. Maybe its just me? dont think so

I think being in the top 3 search results could double my internet exposure (and thus double my income...as most of my leads are coming from the net lately)
I do the same thing and just click on the top three or four sites. The ads usually isn't what I am looking for anyway or they want you to pay when I am looking for a free source.
__________________
You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.
Arif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:08 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indialantic FL
Posts: 1,196
the fed,

Just wondering, have you tried servicemasters? A cleaning lady we used told us that her business picked up significantly after listing with them, don't know what their deal is but I think the contractor gives them a referral amount for each customer.

I was checking the threads on website search engine optimization, did you use the google small business ad, and their webmaster tools?

Jim
__________________
JimnJana
"The four most dangerous words in investing are 'This time it's different.'" - Sir John Templeton
jimnjana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:49 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
thefed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
the fed,

Just wondering, have you tried servicemasters? A cleaning lady we used told us that her business picked up significantly after listing with them, don't know what their deal is but I think the contractor gives them a referral amount for each customer.

I was checking the threads on website search engine optimization, did you use the google small business ad, and their webmaster tools?

Jim
yes, and i could write a novel on what a scam that company is. we DID get a lot more business, but they send a lot of bogus leads and force you to pay regardless so it got annoying. they went from frequent, high quality leads to crap gradually over a year
__________________
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:53 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indialantic FL
Posts: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
yes, and i could write a novel on what a scam that company is. we DID get a lot more business, but they send a lot of bogus leads and force you to pay regardless so it got annoying. they went from frequent, high quality leads to crap gradually over a year
I see... that's a shame. Any luck with SEO? Lessons Learned?

Jim
__________________

__________________
JimnJana
"The four most dangerous words in investing are 'This time it's different.'" - Sir John Templeton
jimnjana is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Human Search Engine riskadverse Other topics 12 03-02-2006 01:42 PM
Make Money While You Search Google tapedeck Other topics 4 06-30-2005 10:38 PM
New people search engine cute fuzzy bunny Other topics 21 05-14-2005 04:30 PM
Search cute fuzzy bunny Forum Admin 1 05-06-2005 08:39 PM
How to search for the N most recent postings parnass Forum Admin 18 05-02-2005 12:35 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:50 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.