Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-10-2017, 03:41 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I like the parchment idea.

We are hooked on Boboli pre made pizza crust. Makes it very easy. Just add sauce, meat/ veggies and cheese. No muss, no fuss. As good as take out.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2017, 08:13 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Pizza geek here... the DW and I decided that one hobby that she thinks will keep me home and out of trouble is cooking. So we put in a backyard brick wood fired pizza oven.
BrickWood Outdoor Pizza Ovens | DIY Wood Fired & Wood Burning Pizza Oven Kits
I enjoy making the pizzas, firing the oven, and sometimes making bread in the morning after a pizza party. We will have pizza get togethers with friends and neighbors, 6 to 25 people. We make all types of pizza, all thin crust though, the oven is too hot at ~700-900 F to make thick crust pizza.
Not too many toppings we haven't tried. Like most hobbies, I dare not calculate the cost of the pizzas, needless to say the ROI on this oven is most likely in the 100 year range.
MOSAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:27 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

WOW! What a great group of pizza makers! I knew there was a reason I liked this group.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:25 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been making pizza from scratch for years. I use my bread maker to make the dough and DW makes the sauce. We add all kinds of veggies, mostly from our garden and also add dried tomatoes which helps absorb some of the liquid from the veggies.

I use a pizza stone and heat it up for 15 -20 minutes before putting the pizza on it. I experimented a lot with dough, stone, temp, sauce, etc. I had everything just about right but could never get the dough to come out as good as the dough from my favorite local pizza place. They sell the dough for a couple of bucks but I wanted to master the dough making technique so I kept trying.

A couple of years ago, DW and I were 2,000 miles from home in Escondido, CA at a winery on a hill that had a few pizza ovens. We got there late and were talking with the owner, Mr. Cordiano. We wanted to try the pizza but he said the pizza bakers were gone for the day but not to worry, he would make it himself. So we were the only people at the winery overlooking the San Pasqual valley, sipping on wine as the sun was setting while the owner made us two special pizzas. They were outstanding! DW said...best pizza ever.

So the next day we visited some wineries 30-40 miles away in Temecula, CA. DW said..."let's hit a winery really off the main drag that doesn't get as many people." We found one down a dirt road. It was bright and sunny that day and when we walked in it was obviously almost empty but it was dark and it took my eyes a minute to adjust. Once my eyes adjusted, I realized that the only other customers in the winery were Mr. Cordiano and his wife. What a coincidence! I was like..."Cordiano!! What are you doing here?!" So while tasting some wine, we got to talking about pizza. I told him exactly how I make it and I explained my pizza dough dilemma. He looked at me, nodded his head, leaned forward and in his Italian accent said, "I'll tell you how to make good pizza dough. You need high gluten flour." I said, "That's it? That's the secret to good pizza dough?" He said, "That's it."

So there you go. I would not normally share this information but we are a tight group here and even within this forum, how many people are going to read about making pizza?
Old 02-10-2017, 09:38 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

I've experimented with different flours, flour ratios (Whole wheat/White unbleached) etc. Even went so far as to get flour milled at a local grist mill, ordered sour dough yeast starter from Italy, all looking for the best balance of crisp, rise, taste etc. It just comes down to what do you like best. Since we make anywhere from 10 to 20 pizzas a night, we've settled on something basic and quick. That's not to say that in a few months after ER, I won't try lager yeasts and do one to two day ferments for the dough, but that's for another thread.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:40 AM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

I made pizza at home for a while, 30-40 years ago. Results were:

(1) It was amazingly delicious, much better than Dominos. My ex thought I was the goddess of pizza.

(2) It was awfully expensive to buy all the ingredients for a really, really good pizza. We were young and struggling financially, so it was more than I wanted to spend on dinner.

I suspect it is much easier to find ingredients at a reasonable price these days, than it was for me back then with limited shopping options and no car. And, to be blunt, I have more money now than I did in those days so the price would no longer be a barrier for me. Unfortunately I can't eat pizza much because of the calories. I don't have that youthful metabolism any more. So, no more homemade pizza for me.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:49 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

This is the dough recipe I've been using. I like it.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...as-pizza-dough
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:34 AM   #68

One of my long-ago jobs was at a pizza shop. I like to keep in practice slinging dough up in the air to stretch it out.

The biggest impact to taste is the sauce. That's also the hardest to get right. I used to make my own from canned tomato and tomato paste, spiced the way I like it.

You can't buy high-gluten flour most places. Gluten is a four-letter word nowadays. Bread machine flour is actually higher in gluten. Or you can buy your own gluten and just add it yourself. Again, not in the supermarket, but Amazon sells it.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:34 AM   #69

I love a home made pizza with thinly sliced, right-out-of-the-garden tomatoes. Unfortunately, I can't seem to make pizza from scratch without demolishing the kitchen. I plan to make it more frequently when I'm retired and have the energy for the clean up.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:56 AM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

We used to make pizza dough from scratch, but recently found fresh-rolled dough at Publix Grocery that is pretty darned good. Its in the bakery section.
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:46 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
One of my long-ago jobs was at a pizza shop. I like to keep in practice slinging dough up in the air to stretch it out.

The biggest impact to taste is the sauce. That's also the hardest to get right. I used to make my own from canned tomato and tomato paste, spiced the way I like it.

You can't buy high-gluten flour most places. Gluten is a four-letter word nowadays. Bread machine flour is actually higher in gluten. Or you can buy your own gluten and just add it yourself. Again, not in the supermarket, but Amazon sells it.
If you can find Delallo tomatoes they're awesome. Not cheap but worth it.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:58 AM   #72

Do homemade about every Friday night but tonight am doing a spinach calzone for variety. Always use the Tipo 00 flour and make our own sauce. Never have mastered the air throwing, usually end up rolling it out best I can and then hand stretching it. Most times use the parchment, and have found works best (for me) to put the naked crust in for a few minutes first to crust the underside a bit, then take it out for the build (removing the PP but using cornmeal). This way it slides off the peel just fine for me. Nothing like having it fold over on you as you try to shake it off the peel.

I used to use the Big Green Egg but had too many cases of too much smoke flavor, and it does take a while to get everything up to temp. Can't imagine the time it takes to fire up a wood fired oven!
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:11 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

It takes about 2 hours from cold start to cooking temperature That gives everyone time to socialize and have an adult beverage. It's also why we only fire it for a group of people. Too long and too expensive burning all that wood for one pizza. Normally we use a Lodge cast iron pizza pan for that. We tried the stone, but found the cast iron to be much better. Crispier crust, and you can put it in cold to a hot oven, no need to pre-heat like the stone.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:24 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
Never have mastered the air throwing, usually end up rolling it out best I can and then hand stretching it.
Tossing the dough is not really that hard, if (as it appears) you're using high-gluten flour. Punch it down and flatten it a little around the edges with your fingers until it starts to resemble a tiny pizza, with a crust and flat center. Once you can drape it over a fist, work your other fist under it and just pull your fists apart gently, stretching evenly, especially around the edges.

Keep stretching and pulling with your fists. Don't worry about tossing it. As you get faster and more accurate stretching, the dough will spend more time in the air and less time draped over your fists. At that point, it's a small step to keep it in the air longer, and go a little higher, each time.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:57 PM   #75

Years ago we used to make pizza often. We'd buy a french bread dough from a local grocer. Stretch it out and put a heavy plate on it to hold its shape while we baked it for 10-15 minutes. Then loaded it up and baked it again. Delicious!
The french bread dough must been high gluten since it was so hard to stretch out.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:27 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
This is the dough recipe I've been using. I like it.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...as-pizza-dough
I made this pizza for a pan pizza for family a couple times. It's really good for a pan pizza style dough. Though it is a 2 day process to make it...
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:09 AM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

This Irish guy makes pizza for his Italian wife on a regular basis with no complaints. I use the dough recipe from the "Soprano's Family Cookbook" recipe for "ah-beetz", but no sauce; thin-sliced tomatoes, cheese, spinach, 'roni, and garlic. A bottle of San Giovese and we can convince ourselves we're eating healthy!
http://www.recipelink.com/msgbrd/boa...AUG/15048.html
Old 02-11-2017, 08:45 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

I make my own pizza all the time using the bread machine to make the dough. The main reason I do it is to have exact control topping portions and crust thickness.

My favourite is one with chicken, bacon, and bell and banana peppers. Barbeque sauce works better than tomato sauce on chicken pizza...
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:20 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

For the dough I grind my own flour from white wheat. If we have company I will do 50/50 whole wheat and tool of the Devil (white flour). If it is just us, I will do 100% whole wheat. In all cases I add a bunch of gluten since freshly ground flour generally has poor gluten formation and the pizza dough needs it anyway. Last time I made pizza it was brew day for an Oktoberfest, so I used spent grain and some wort in the crust and it was amazing.

If I have the time, sometimes I will make fresh mozzarella on pizza day and make a margherita pizza with fresh basil and tomatoes.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:36 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Many stores have a health food section and you can usually find gluten there. My store sells Bob's Vital Wheat Gluten. I don't know what you do if you want ordinary non-vital wheat gluten.

I put a TBL in my dough when I use whole wheat which is often.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote