Anyone miss being outside the loop

OldAgePensioner

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Do you miss knowing some of the things you knew by working. For instance, in the job I left I would have known that Al-Zarqawi was going down. And now I read about it in the paper.

I got briefed on all the new "stuff" the NSA/CIA was building and using. And just recently a friend described a job he is working as "you can't even imagine this technology, never in a hundred years.". He said I would be in awe of it.

Well the stuff I worked on before made the shuttle fleet seem like a tricycle so I can't imagine the technology he on right now.

I miss being out of the loop.

just recently a friend described a job he is working as "you can't even imagine this technology, never in a hundred years.".

Surely NOT talking about the federal government ... they're at least 10-15 years behind industry.

Heck they do life time buys of out dated technology to avoid EVER upgrading.

Surely NOT talking about the federal government ... they're at least 10-15 years behind industry.

Heck they do life time buys of out dated technology to avoid EVER upgrading.

This is one fo thsoe things people like tot ink that just aint so. When I worked for the Feds they always had or were getting the newer stuff. The reason they do lifetime buys of outdated stuff is welfare for private industry who didn't know their market and watsed resources and now they are stuck with lame crap. Big Gov. The capitalist's biggest buddy. We had PC's way long time ago before I saw one in the civilian world. The Fed gov invented the PC market, and we all know ujust abotu everything about computers was a Gov project. Sure there are some centers that get the glittery stuff before the Gov does but if they want to piss away their money they can. The gov has to guard against that.
I worked on a first genertation vaccum tube compouter that wasnt deactovated till teh mid 1980's but of course that wasnt the only thing we were using . We had already populated the world with PCs by then too.

razztazz,
I agree. In England, our operations floor had about 60 big flat panel plasma TV's and if anything came along that was an upgrade, down came all 60 and in came new ones.

Our Air Force COTR (contract office technical rep) chided our group as "you guys don't know how to spend money".

About every 4 months, my then 2.8 Ghz computer would get exchanged for a 3.2 GHz. Just before I left, I got a dual graphics card and had 2 21inch LCD panels on my desk.

But the stuff I'm really talking about is 2 to 4 billion dollar satellites. No a few satellites but 1. Capable of amazing things.

OldAgePensioner said:
I miss being out of the loop.
It's not just "need to know", it's also "care to know".  It's too high a price to pay.

The regular intelligence-collection gear worked pretty well, but many times the satellites could get the same info faster or with less risk.  However, every once in a while we'd be the dreaded "project boat".  For every awesome-looking black box dumped in our sonar or ESM bay by some NSA-wannabes, we knew there'd be endless hours of entertainment trying to get it to come one, helping it to stay on, and keeping it from taking out the rest of the space if it went out in a blaze of glory.  If it was so bulky that it had to go in the torpedo room, you knew that it'd take over your whole daily routine.  Or it'd seem like such a miracle machine that we'd misplace all our faith on it, disregarding all other warning signs until we had to sound the collision alarm.  

Before the deployment (hopefully) we'd get a breathless briefing by some tech rep who'd describe all the wowza things it did for the last boat's deployment.  (Confirming that assertion by contacting our counterparts was usually greeted by "Oh, that piece of crap.")  We'd have to devote hours of classroom training to learning how to use it (when it worked) and hoping that it could be repaired (because no one would admit that it could break).  Then we'd devote more hours of at-sea time trying to get it to work gaining operational familiarity with it only to hear the week before deployment "Uhm, you guys are doing it wrong."  Then we'd discover that we were expected to make this box dance someplace where the charted soundings were last provided in 1858 by a British whaling ship.

Later we'd have to give it an entire section of the mission report, spend hours creating punchy PowerPoint slides describing what it was supposed to do and what it actually accomplished, and store hundreds of data modules (tapes, hard drives, dilithium crystals, whatever) for higher authority on our return.  Of course you don't talk about having to extinguish a fire, nearly running aground, getting chased by ASW aircraft, or a dozen other night-mare inducing pucker factors.  Then six months later we'd be told "Uhm, you guys were doing it wrong and you let the tapes get wet."

Working at the training command or SUBPAC wasn't much better.  You knew what the crews were going through and, as the SUBPAC rep, you were also usually in charge of selecting what not to pay for innovative funding techniques for its next deployment.  

On the rare occasion (once per career) when the gear worked as advertised, when you were where you were supposed to be, when they were where they were supposed to be, it was daylight, and the weather was clear, you'd get awesome intel.  You'd feel like true steely-eyed killers of the deep and gods among mortals-- for about three weeks.  Then you'd get a message saying, essentially, "Uhm, you guys are doing it wrong.  Don't let the tapes get wet!" and a year later you'd discover that all your carefully-collected intelligence had the image's periscope crosshairs digitally removed in order to disguise the method of collecting the intelligence.

Don't get me started on the various quality- & performance-improvement programs that we were required to collect data for and occasionally be the subject of the special "Don't let this happen to you..." brief.

It's neat to know that stuff.  But it's much less testosterone/adrenaline poisoning when you can read about it on the Smoking Gun website.

Hey, I'm not bitter.  And I don't have those nightmares anymore, either.

[
"Conducting training at sea for extended periods of time in areas of the world open to free navigation... navigational and sensor errors... the U.S. submarine force does not discuss its operations"...

I remember having to memorize that stuff! I'm glad we didn't have to do it in the local language(s).

A bright bluecolumn of light just beamed up at me from the deep.

Just a piece of "In the Loop" stuff I miss. Remember a famous downed pilot several years ago? But notice how quiet that story got?

Well, this guy got under an aluminum thermal blanket, covered himself with leaves and proceeded to use a beacon continuously. UUUUHHHHHH, will a beacon travel thru aluminum foil? Battery died eventually. Put the entire rescue team at big risk.

Another, several search and rescue teams were scrambled in the Kosova war. They were getting SOS from out in the Med. When they got there, it was a cow on a big wooden pallet. The team bombed the raft.

Cool stuff, but now I hear nothing.

Nords said:
(Portions redacted)

Had a chance to get more closely involved with a few of those, and it was interesting when you got into the meat of the matter. But heck, it's all on the History Channel these days anyway, so OAP, get cable TV and you'll be back in the loop.

dory,
it'ud be sort of like you pulling into a new harbor and everyone says can't tell ya nuthin pardner. Kindly leave.

OldAgePensioner said:
razztazz,
I agree. In England, our operations floor had about 60 big flat panel plasma TV's and if anything came along that was an upgrade, down came all 60 and in came new ones.

Our Air Force COTR (contract office technical rep) chided our group as "you guys don't know how to spend money".

About every 4 months, my then 2.8 Ghz computer would get exchanged for a 3.2 GHz. Just before I left, I got a dual graphics card and had 2 21inch LCD panels on my desk.

But the stuff I'm really talking about is 2 to 4 billion dollar satellites. No a few satellites but 1. Capable of amazing things.

Wow, dual graphics cards. Were you allowed to play Doom 3 or Battlefield 2 on that machine? :)

not tech or gov't ... but even when i was in the loop i wasn't in the loop so now that i'm not, i've not missed it at all

Nords said:
I used to enjoy getting the messages "do not confirm, deny, or comment on the article found in _____", which of course would send us all out to buy that magazine so we could see how accurate it was.

well,
i guess it's a quiet exit. Never Mind.!

Was EXIT stage left or stage right?

Maybe it’s the masochist inside of me, but I do miss some of it. I was browsing an old Time while waiting at the credit union the other day and found myself critiquing a guy I used to work with. He’s got a challenging problem, but he’s the kind that nobody would ever accuse of being too innovative. Halfway through the article I had figured out about ten things I thought should be done, but when I got to the part where it described what was actually happening I was shaking my head. You’ve seen it before – the guy charging off toward near-certain failure with all the flags flying.

It was like the retired fire horses that came running whenever the bell rang. See problem – must fix problem. I had to remind myself it was not my problem because I am so not in the loop anymore that it was like I was never there. Then I remembered why that is not a bad thing at all.

Being in the know was cool as long as it was just an interesting story. But, I was always on the far end of all the official disseminating and it generally left me scratching my head and wondering “what the hell do I do with this?” Protecting your source is something I have no problems with, but sometimes it got silly. Like the phone call I got from one of those multi-agency groups that have a visible “light-side” and then a “dark side” that nobody is supposed to know about.

“Information has been received that the Jose Sanchez Organization in Colombia has ordered the killing of Juan Ortega in the United States.”

That would suck since Ortega is the target of my investigation. I don’t know how to indict a dead guy. Okay, what else? I mean some details that might help me identify the killer would help. I read Tom Clancy, I know you have at least a phone number.

“That’s all I can tell you.”

Will more details follow in a cable?

“There will be no cable.”

Not even a super duper secret one with the red cover sheet?

“Nope. And you can’t reference this conversation in reports, affidavits or testimony. It never happened.”

What am I supposed to do with this, make sure I have a clean suit for the funeral?

“That’s up to you. Sorry.”

I miss my old pre-Katrina dougnut shop in LA - listening to the good old boys carp about 'their loops'.

Retiree luncheons(monthly) - the space program 'loop' got a tad boring though.

At year 13 of ER - pretty much died off - faded away.

heh heh heh heh heh

To answer your question directly: NO!!!! In order to be in the loop, I would have to be there and that is too high a price to pay. Don't care.

setab

I'm not out of it yet, but can't imagine missing it. As a matter of fact I can't wait to get the he** out of it.

Anyone want to buy a house in NY so I can D-loop?

I thought I would miss it, but I didn't, not for a minute. My head was already retired before my body followed it out the door...

Actually, now that I think of it, the thing I miss least are the people. Of 60 people, I miss my best buddy, Judi, and my best friend Tony. The rest, ahh, not much.

But I do miss the James Bond type briefings. Doors were closed, clearances were checked, briefing co-ordinator asked the General for permission to start. And charts with lots of cloak and dagger stuff were shown.

I do miss that part.

Don't miss it one bit. I really don't care what is the latest issue in the big multi-year oil projects since I left about 6 weeks ago. Not even sure I miss the people much either, although I really did enjoy the company of the members of my team in particular. We got along very well.

I remind myself each morning as I liesurely get up why I worked my buns off for so many years just so I can now get up every morning whenever I want.

I do miss some people, and I stay in touch with several from my last couple of jobs. But I don't miss the work, the new directions, the new visions, the mistakes and misleading statements, the layoffs and reorgs. In my second to last company, where I worked for 8.5 years, I had 7 managers, 3 promotions, 6 cubicles and 2 offices, in 5 buildings. My last company, where I worked for 7.5 years (last 3 as a part-time telecommuter), I had 2 managers, 1 promotion, 4 cubicles , 1 office, 1 kitchen converted into an office(!), and 1 home office, in 5 buildings--and my house. Kind of amusing, if you ignore the wasted effort :LOL:

OAP, I hope you're staying in touch with your two friends there.

I wonder just how many people stay in jobs because of the people they work with or because they don't want to be "out of the loop"?

Back
Top Bottom