Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Anyone notice "Osama" sounds like "Obama" ?
Old 10-27-2006, 08:01 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2006
Pissed-off about what? From your posts you seem to have the life that logically results from your expressed desires and reported actions. Just wondering . . .
Yeah, you are correct. I was in such a hurry I forgot the smiley.
Just being provocative and hyperbolic as usual. OTOH, a lot of stuff does
annoy me, esp. Bill of Rights issues. Bottom line.............it is true that
my life has turned out pretty much as I designed it. I would only caution
all of you to be careful what you wish for.

JG

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2006, 08:49 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._johngalt
I would only caution
all of you to be careful what you wish for.

JG
Can I wish you would just disappear to cloud cuckoo land with all the other wingnuts

Just hyperbole, John. NOT!

[Moderator edit: quote fix]

Old 10-27-2006, 10:31 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire
I want the ability to own the firearm, because according to the Bill of Rights it is my right to do so, period. I see no place written in the Second Amendment where it says I can only be allowed to own firearms up to a certain caliber, so why can't I own the most powerful firearm. Arty, bombs, and other explosives are not included in this as far as I can tell.
If the Bill of Rights says that you can have guns and weapons then you can.

Since is was written a couple of hundred years ago I feel it's time for a change. When the Bill or Rights was written we had no organized army nor local police as we do today. I'm sick and tired of picking up the paper and reading about some kid shot by an unproteced weapon. Nothing good ever happens when guns are involved. (period)
Old 10-27-2006, 11:28 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire
I want the ability to own the firearm, because according to the Bill of Rights it is my right to do so, period. I see no place written in the Second Amendment where it says I can only be allowed to own firearms up to a certain caliber, so why can't I own the most powerful firearm. Arty, bombs, and other explosives are not included in this as far as I can tell.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

This seems to me to suggest that militarily useful arms are intended to be allowed. Not much use in limiting one's potential militia members to only hunting rifles.

(Note: I don't like widescale gun ownership, but that is what Amendment 2 says. And I don't think that retroactively removing rights from the Constitution would set a very good precedent.)

Old 10-27-2006, 11:39 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
He would have to of course promise to raise taxes on business, ban all guns, and raise taxes on tourists.

Then he would be elected for sure in Chicago (the only problem is I'm not sure he has enough relatives nearby to give jobs to.
He could promise "whatever," but as the party candidate, he would win.

He has plenty of relatives available to fill patronage jobs. They've been in the country since well before the '93 Trade Center bombing. But that's not how patronage works. You give jobs to other families to secure votes. Your relatives get jobs from other politiciansin exchange for vote delivery.

You new to the area?

Old 10-28-2006, 05:38 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet

He has plenty of relatives available to fill patronage jobs. They've been in the country since well before the '93 Trade Center bombing. But that's not how patronage works. You give jobs to other families to secure votes. Your relatives get jobs from other politiciansin exchange for vote delivery.

You new to the area?

youbet nailed it. That's how it works.

JG
Old 10-28-2006, 05:45 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

This seems to me to suggest that militarily useful arms are intended to be allowed. Not much use in limiting one's potential militia members to only hunting rifles.

(Note: I don't like widescale gun ownership, but that is what Amendment 2 says. And I don't think that retroactively removing rights from the Constitution would set a very good precedent.)

bpp has presented a thoughtful approach to this, better than my usual rants, for which I apologize. Nothing gets me hotter quicker than
the gun debate/antigunners. BTW, IMHO most anti's actually know very little
about guns or The Second Amendment, or maybe even The BOR itself.
I just go ballistic (hey - good word) when people with absolutly no knowledge of weapons weigh in on ..................assault rifles, for example.
Now, assuming there really is such a thing, many of us believe their
private ownership should be fully protected, which is kind of what bpp
was pointing out.

JG
Old 10-28-2006, 08:44 AM   #48

Quote:
I just go ballistic (hey - good word) when people with absolutly no knowledge of weapons weigh in on ..................assault rifles, for example.
Now, assuming there really is such a thing, many of us believe their
private ownership should be fully protected, which is kind of what bpp
was pointing out.
That is exactly what I was pointing out.

I'm not saying that that is necessarily a right that I would put into a constitution were I writing one today, but it seems to be there in the US constitution, and I would never go along with removing any rights, because sooner or later someone would want to remove one that I do care about.
Old 10-28-2006, 04:52 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet

You new to the area?

No, lifelong Chicagoan.

Old 10-28-2006, 04:54 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azanon
Not to stray too much, but JG, i'm curious what isn't redneck about being a NRA, gun loving supporter? Do you not realize that we already have armed police, the national guard, and the most powerful military in the world. Do you not realize that if the government "turned" against you, that your 12-guage isn't going to help you much when they come to get you?

Are you a hunter or something? I dont think the libs have ever went after banning a legitimate hunting gun. But it is a pretty sad thing that there are civilians out there that think they should have the right to own, say, a 50-cal.

But just being plain honest, when i hear someone delare they support the NRA, instantly the term redneck (or gangster, depending on the applicably) pops into my mind. Since you dont really strike me as the gangster type JG, then i guess you can deduce what I think....

You need to pick between genius and redneck, because they're not mutually exclusive.
Well then count me in as a redneck. Remember, the second amendment was written for hunting politicians, not animals.

So who should decide what guns I can own?

Old 10-29-2006, 06:41 AM   #51

Quote:
youbet nailed it. That's how it works.

JG
A little galting here. Heard this one yesterday. George W., Richard Daley
(mayor of Chicago) and the Pope are in a lifeboat. It's leaking and someone
has to get out. They took a vote and Daley won 3 to 2.

JG