Anyone of you owns a horse/mare?

vicente solano

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My wife is thinking about buying a mare. I´m not too happy with this idea, but she is learning to ride and has discovered that she loves horses. It´s certainly not a fad to her. I think we are too old to start with this, and, being animal lovers, we suffer a lot when they aren´t feeling well or when we have to separate from them, even briefly. And let´s not forget the expenses and the extra work having a horse means.

I´d appreciate your comments on this issue.:)

I have been into horseriding as a girl, always wanted to own a horse but then reality set in.
DW should not underestimate the time a horse requires day in and day out. And if she already has a busy schedule she will have to find someone relyable and pay that person to work the horse when she has no time.
I would recommend to rent or share a horse with someone for several months (good weather, bad weather...) before actually thinking of buying one.

Then, horses should be a family hobby or there is high risk that tension will follow.

Too old? I have met people starting horseriding after 50 and they had a lot of fun.
My dad had been into it as a boy and returned when he was 40. He stayed with it for about 20 years - never owning a horse because of time restraints and cost but he regularly had a lot of fun 2-3 hours per week.
As owners including my hours we would have worked the horse app. 5-6 hours per week. Not a good life for a horse...

We owned numerous horses, loved them all, hated the on-going costs associated with horse ownership, plus as we got older the daily upkeep became tough (hauling hay around 2x per day for feeding, cleaning stalls everyday, grooming and picking hoofs a couple times per week at least, and the list goes on and on).

We ended up donating all of our horses to the local University which has a robust equine program. My wife is always treated as a "special" guest and goes down to their farm often to see her babies.....best of both worlds IMHO.

good luck!

My wife bought a horse about 20 years ago, and she's paid to keep him at a stable ever since. We moved outside the city to be closer to her stable. I'm not involved at all. The horse is in a paddock with room to move around some. As well as the stable fees, there are regular farrier and vet fees. It's a nice hobby for my wife, and I'm pleased we have been able to arrange it for her.

I would recommend to rent or share a horse with someone for several months (good weather, bad weather...) before actually thinking of buying one.............

+1. I've never owned a horse (but have enough friends and relatives that have) to say that owing a horse makes owning a boat or an airplane seem reasonable. And unlike dogs which pass relatively quickly, horses live on and on.

I grew up showing competitively in breed shows (Appaloosas) and loved every minute of it. When I graduated high school, I quit showing and kept my show horse until his death quite a few years later.
I have often thought of getting another horse, as we live in the country and have plenty of room, but can't really pin down what I'd do with him (I'd NEVER have a mare, only geldings for me). I think that I'd be bored with trail riding and miss the hustle and bustle of a show barn (and I don't have time or $ for showing, or really the inclination at this age). If I could get a clearer picture of what I'd do with it, I might consider it.

I'd be sure you can envision what you are going to "do" with it, just like when you buy a RV or a boat.

My wife is thinking about buying a mare. I´m not too happy with this idea, but she is learning to ride and has discovered that she loves horses. It´s certainly not a fad to her. I think we are too old to start with this, and, being animal lovers, we suffer a lot when they aren´t feeling well or when we have to separate from them, even briefly. And let´s not forget the expenses and the extra work having a horse means.

My ex worked for several years as a stable girl/trainer's assistant, in order to get free riding lessons for herself and one of our sons. She loved it. Took care of horses all day, worked them on the lunge, lunged then rode/exercised boarded horses, got lessons. It was really an excellent idea, though I suppose it would not be open to your wife as she already has a job.

I tell you Vicente, there is nothing more horny than watching a pretty woman posting along in those tight pants and boots, so don't reject her idea out of hand. Not exactly a libido killer for the women either. :)

Ha

I should have ran when my soon to be wife explained to me that she would be a bride for a day and that I would be a groom for life. But then I was 20 years more naive.

We have ten acres which I have enclosed with fencing, built a stable, and cleared a riding area all for her pleasure. I have chores daily which include feeding and watering the horses, as well as repairing those things that require it. The horses want to be feed and watered no matter what the weather is like and the -25F wind-chill reading this morning did not affect that requirement.

We have five horses (2 for my wife, 2 for my daughter, and 1 for myself) with each one costing about $1000 a year to maintain (feed, vet, farrier). Plus we have a horse trailer and I'm am required to have a truck to pull said horse trailer.

My recommendation would be to rent or share a horse as chris2008 noted. Not only would it help keep costs under control but it would give you much flexibility in terms of not pinning you down so if you want to travel or get away for a weekend then you can do so without concern for the well being of the horse.

Most comments so far have been $ or time related. If in the end you do buy a horse (or lease), you must take safety into consideration. Over the years I have seen way too many older people start (or restart) ridding on inappropriate horses and get hurt, sometimes badly. Case in point, a neighbor's daughter (early 40s) purchased a horse (off track) because it snuggled to her shoulder (stupid reason). She did not vet the horse, took it to her barn, had all kinds of joint, teeth, worms, etc problems. Lame many times, horse did not respect itself and threw itself down (yes that is correct) with her on it when it did not want to obey or participate in training exercises. On one of the "throw downs", she severely hurt her shoulder and it may never be the same. Horse was put down. Overall a terrible experience that was born out of nativity.

Many people think they know horses and buy on their own. I suggest you have an experienced coach/trainer who can evaluate your ridding ability and what you want to do with the horse (ride/hack, dressage, Hunter/Jumper, etc). This person could then call contacts and find an appropriate horses with a known history. Then with the coach's help, go ride some. Once you decided on a horse, get it on loan for a couple of weeks. If still good, then have it vetted (if no recent vetting available) and if still OK buy.

Testing your luck on doing this yourself is setting yourself for failure and possibly getting hurt.

Horse lover here...and had two as a child and teenager. Have not owned one since college. Have thought about it...but then think about the upkeep and maintenance Don't think my body can take the falls I took when I was young. I've considered simply renting and have done this in the past. Whenever I do, I have a healthy respect for the horse I rent ...as I do not know his or her quirks....so it prevents me from feeling comfortable enough to do a lot so it is not the thrill it was as a kid. Quess I need to rent more.

++on the lease idea. We did that for our DD, and when it threw her causing substantial injury it was nice to be able to walk away and not be bothered with the task of wringing its stupid neck..:whistle:;)

Just to have a bit of fun.....

But isn't a mare a horse:confused:

:ROFLMAO:

I've never owned a horse but have done a lot of riding. Mostly for pleasure and at a time exercised a man's horses (that was fun too). The responsibility on said horses belonged to someone else.

It's always been my dream to own a horse but that hasn't happened and probably never will. I'm the type of person that would have to have my horse within eye shot of me and on my property. I couldn't handle it being stabled somewhere else...I'd worry too much as it would be my baby.

FWIW I rode mostly mares. Mares (in my experience) tend to be gentle and not as high spirited as geldings and stallions.

I'm the type of person that would have to have my horse within eye shot of me and on my property. I couldn't handle it being stabled somewhere else...I'd worry too much as it would be my baby.

Those are exactly her feelings, BB:)!! That´s why she´s considering the sharing approach.

Vicente, I had to dig up a few pictures of my wonderful Appaloosa show horse Rocky from back in my teen years. I don't have many scanned, but these were some my DH put together for a video on my 40th birthday.Now that I'm all nostalgic, I really hope your wife gets her horse! :)

Attachments

• 20101210152856_007.jpg
    20101210152856_007.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20101210152856_020.jpg
    20101210152856_020.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20101210152856_001.jpg
    20101210152856_001.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 3
I have a friend who would probably be retired if his wife and daughter did not own three horses. On the flipside he would probably have killed himself doing something crazy if it were not for his wife.

Horse ownership is nothing to jump into. There is much time and $$ involved. They eat 24/7/365 whether you're in town, on vacation or sick as a dog with the flu.

I have 2. I love them to pieces. I live in the most beautiful part of Illinois for horseback riding. My husband does not ride but understands my need to do so.

Oh, I only own geldings. In my experience, mares can be too moody.

Back
Top Bottom