Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone On Lipitor?
Old 10-21-2006, 04:24 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Anyone On Lipitor?

Or other prescription cholesterol reducing medication? I started on the stuff some months ago and it has brought down the cholesterol. Does seem like no particular side effects or other problems. But I hate the idea of being on something "forever". (Well, I've worn glasses/contacts since 1st grade, does that count?) Has anyone got theirs down enough to go off medication?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Anyone On Lipitor?
Old 10-21-2006, 04:38 PM   #2

I started Zetia in February this year. It's brought my total down from 220 to 177. My HDL was always good, and remains the same. I tried every thing from oatmeal (ugh), to vitamin supplements, olive oil, to eating no cholesterol in an effort to reduce it without pills. Now, I concede it's probably genetic, and if the docs are right, it should be below 200. No side effects that I've noticed. I hate taking pills.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 04:47 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Still on the "wab" diet, although I cheat. Big drop in the first month, but still high. Statins are out as my liver function is "wacko".

JG
Old 10-21-2006, 04:57 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
Or other prescription cholesterol reducing medication? I started on the stuff some months ago and it has brought down the cholesterol. Does seem like no particular side effects or other problems. But I hate the idea of being on something "forever". (Well, I've worn glasses/contacts since 1st grade, does that count?) Has anyone got theirs down enough to go off medication?
I don't think you're ever supposed to go off it.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:16 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Everyone is on Lipitor. Like you, I hope there is no downside that hasn't appeared yet.

Recent studies indicate that cranking the dosage and driving cholesterol way below what has been the target is even better for us. Rich can probably catch us up on this.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:54 PM   #6

I was on a statin for several months. I kept cutting my dosage in half and my lab tests still showed improvements. Then I started to get unusual muscle pain and I started to research statins on the Internet. While you can probably find anything to support your ideas on the Internet, I found enough to convince me to discontinue the statins. After about a year or so the muscle pains seemed to go away, and my lab tests still showed up reasonably good. I switched doctors, and asked the new doctor, based on the tests if I should be taking statins - he says "no way". Now obviously there are a thousand uncontrolled variables in this study of one, but I'm thinking I'll take my chances for a longer life without the statins.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:56 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm on Lovasatin which is a generic for Mevacor. Did the job for me and much cheaper than Lipitor. Ask your doctor about it.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Now obviously there are a thousand uncontrolled variables in this study of one, but I'm thinking I'll take my chances for a longer life without the statins.
And it's the only test that matters. Got any data on your arteries? That's what matters, not cholesterol levels. Ask the "doctor" what your death percentage is with and without stains. He won't know. He might babble some reader's digest crap about risk but of course that wouldnt apply to YOU. Ask what the risk for YOU is. And how he knows that. He won't know

Statins have never saved a life or prevented a heart attack. There is some thin data that in old people with advanced heart disease they marginally reduced the risk of a second heart attack but it was not by the cholesterol lowering mechanism. It lowered homocystine levels. But overal mortality was not changed. (The people who didnt have a 2nd heart attack were killed by statins I guess) Watch the crestor commercials. At the bottom of the screen it says "has not been shown to prevent heart attack or heart disease."

And if you get an adverse reactio you'll be told it's not the medication, it'sa brand new disease you have. You're not getting any younger, ya know. And you must keep taking it to "lower your risk". Then ask him "What risk"? He won't know. Treating risk factors statistically is Russian Roullette for the patient. And the whole "risk" of cholesterol levels is equivocal at best while the death and crippling by statins is well documented.

http://hp2010.nhlbihin.net/atpiii/calculator.asp

razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 06:23 PM   #9

Call me wierd but I don't give two sh*ts about my cholesterol level. I think its all a great big scam. If cholesterol causes heart attacks, as the medical community of morons is busy selling us, why do over 60% of heart attack victims have normal cholesterol? Is this the same medical community that recommended the 'food pyramid'? I fell like Big Pharma has sold this country a bill of goods regarding cholesterol, and it is very, very profitable for them. That's my two cents.....rant over.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:27 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
Call me wierd but I don't give two sh*ts about my cholesterol level. I think its all a great big scam. If cholesterol causes heart attacks, as the medical community of morons is busy selling us, why do over 60% of heart attack victims have normal cholesterol? Is this the same medical community that recommended the 'food pyramid'? I fell like Big Pharma has sold this country a bill of goods regarding cholesterol, and it is very, very profitable for them. That's my two cents.....rant over.
Back in 2001, cholesterol guidelines were changed, doubling the number of people who 'need' to take drugs.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20020301/871.html
--------------------------------
I have no idea of my cholesterol levels.

Old 10-21-2006, 07:52 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I, like an earlier poster, resisted taking Lipitor but nothing I did seemed to get my total cholesterol below 200. I had sort of borderline high cholesterol numbers but I do have family history of heart disease so I decided whatever risk may be involved in taking statins is worth it.

Obviously, it's critical to check the liver enzymes or whatever they are to make sure the drug isn't getting them out of whack. I get it checked every six months. I understand the liver numbers can get out of control quickly (if they ever do) so it's important to keep on top of it.

Quote:
If cholesterol causes heart attacks, as the medical community of morons is busy selling us, why do over 60% of heart attack victims have normal cholesterol?
One explanation I've heard for this is that "normal" cholesterol levels have traditionally been considered to be below 200 (total cholesterol). In fact, around 150 and lower may be the actual safe zone. So there are probably lots of people with cholesterol of, for example, 180 who may not have achieved a low enough level.

I am certainly not an expert. I just have to gather whatever info I can, weigh the risks and make decisions to protect myself as much as possible.

califdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 07:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by califdreamer
I, like an earlier poster, resisted taking Lipitor but nothing I did seemed to get my total cholesterol below 200. I had sort of borderline high cholesterol numbers but I do have family history of heart disease so I decided whatever risk may be involved in taking statins is worth it.

Obviously, it's critical to check the liver enzymes or whatever they are to make sure the drug isn't getting them out of whack. I get it checked every six months. I understand the liver numbers can get out of control quickly (if they ever do) so it's important to keep on top of it.

One explanation I've heard for this is that "normal" cholesterol levels have traditionally been considered to be below 200 (total cholesterol). In fact, around 150 and lower may be the actual safe zone. So there are probably lots of people with cholesterol of, for example, 180 who may not have achieved a low enough level.

I am certainly not an expert. I just have to gather whatever info I can, weigh the risks and make decisions to protect myself as much as possible.

the motto of the medical proffession is "don't think, just do what your sold". I have serious doubts about cholesterol being the cause of anything other than a really nice balance sheet for the manufacturers of cholesterol lowering medications. I own the Vanguard Healthcare Fund for exactly that reason.

If they keep moving the target total cholesterol number lower and lower, eventually every man, woman and child in the world can enjoy the benefits of lower cholesterol!! whoopeee!!!!!
Old 10-21-2006, 08:15 PM   #13

Quote:

If they keep moving the target total cholesterol number lower and lower, eventually every man, woman and child in the world can enjoy the benefits of lower cholesterol!! whoopeee!!!!!
The same thing was done two years ago with blood pressure guidelines. I believe they lowered it to 110/70. Anything higher is considered pre-hypertensive. Sooo, out comes the prescription pads for heavily touted meds such as norvasc for everyone.

The same thing has happened with antidepressants. For example, Celexa's patent was running out two years ago and you want to know what the pharmceutical company did? They changed a molecule or two in the original Celexa formula and called it: Lexapro! Of course, Forest Labs stated that "Lexapro" doesn't have the side effects like other SSRI's. Now the Forest Labs has millions, possibly billions of dollars in their medicine pipeline! Pretty ingenious.

I'm with Alex. I'm dubious with these "studies" that come out and lower guidelines for certain conditions. I'm willing to bet for every "study", there's a pharmacuetical company right behind it protecting it's multi-million dollar drug pipeline.

Ah, that felt good. Rant off.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:22 PM   #14
gone traveling

Quote:
the motto of the medical proffession is "don't think, just do what your sold". I have serious doubts about cholesterol being the cause of anything other than a really nice balance sheet for the manufacturers of cholesterol lowering medications. I own the Vanguard Healthcare Fund for exactly that reason.

Oh man this statin thing. My cardiologist has been a real great guy, never telling me to go on a statin. I had a cardiac cath 5 years ago, had a viral infection of the pericardium and had symptoms of a heart attack, needless to say a couple of nights in ICU at the age of 45 is a scary thing. But my arteries are clear. My cholestrol runs between 189 and 229, Hdl 50 to 60 and ldl 119 to 169 my triglicerides are always below 60.

So the running 10 miles a day and the red rice yeast suppliments I take and my diet when vegatarian gives me a nice low reading on my ldl and a high reading on my hdl all without statins. by the way my family history well STINKS, But the side effects are something I want nothing to do with and yes why do over 60% of heart attack victims have low cholestrol readings??

In addition talk to people who have been on lipitor or any other statin for a few years there is something missing, they have mental lapses, forget things repeat things i have read studies about mental issues with statin drugs along with the muscle issues.

dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 08:22 PM   #15

Quote:
I, like an earlier poster, resisted taking Lipitor but nothing I did seemed to get my total cholesterol below 200.
Why does it have to be below 200? Becauise "They" say so? what's the risk? Gimme a number.

Quote:
What "traditional" cholesterol numbers? What year or decade did they use for "normal traditional" numbers? Fact is, in the old days... (prior to about 30 or so yrs ago) they didnt even care about cholesterol.

Quote:
What is your risk of having a heart attack at some pont in your life (you're gonna live another 30-40 yrs, or so? ) and what is the risk of taking a statin everyay till Kingdom come? And The Kingdom will come

And what is your risk of a heat attack with and without stains? You have to know that in order to "risk" taking a drug that is known to kill people.

razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 08:24 PM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
The same thing was done two years ago with blood pressure guidelines. I believe they lowered it to 110/70. Anything higher is considered pre-hypertensive. Sooo, out comes the prescription pads for heavily touted meds such as norvasc for everyone.

The same thing has happened with antidepressants. For example, Celexa's patent was running out two years ago and you want to know what the pharmceutical company did? They changed a molecule or two in the original Celexa formula and called it: Lexapro! Of course, Forest Labs stated that "Lexapro" doesn't have the side effects like other SSRI's. Now the Forest Labs has millions, possibly billions of dollars in their medicine pipeline! Pretty ingenious.

I'm with Alex. I'm dubious with these "studies" that come out and lower guidelines for certain conditions. I'm willing to bet for every "study", there's a pharmacuetical company right behind it protecting it's multi-million dollar drug pipeline.

Ah, that felt good. Rant off.
I do take my blood pressure meds though, without my pressure is way too high. And I have been running 10 miles a day for 30+ years!!
Old 10-21-2006, 08:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888
I do take my blood pressure meds though, without my pressure is way too high. And I have been running 10 miles a day for 30+ years!!
Please don't misunderstand my point. I'm not dismissing the need for medications for people who truly have HBP. High blood pressure can kill ya! I'm just pointing out that once the guidelines where lowered to 110/70 (sorry, I don't have the exact number), the sphere of those who were once in the normal zone are now considered "pre-hypertensive" increased expotentially.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:36 PM   #18
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
Please don't misunderstand my point. I'm not dismissing the need for medications for people who truly have HBP. High blood pressure can kill ya! I'm just pointing out that once the guidelines where lowered to 110/70 (sorry, I don't have the exact number), the sphere of those who were once in the normal zone are now considered "pre-hypertensive" increased expotentially.
Agreed, I do believe the way we live here in the states is one reason BP is high. Heck everyone of the Physical education teachers in our department of 9 are on BP meds! Maybe working in a stinkin inner city hell hole for almost 30 years has something to do with it. I mentioned that my summer down in my new home in North Carolina and my pressure was even lower than it is with meds than it is now teaching these past two months. I am so glad my last day is dec 22!!
Old 10-21-2006, 08:44 PM   #19

Yeah, work is tough on the BP. I bet your BP drops after you pull the trigger.

My blood pressure started to climb because of age and, ahem, female hormone stuff and way, way too much daily wine. I haven't had alcohol for 6 months and my blood pressure is running ~100/115 over 60/80. Way down from 140/150 over 90/100.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:54 PM   #20
Gone but not forgotten

My BP has dropped much since retirement.