Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone own a steam cleaner?
Old 03-28-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone own a steam cleaner?

I'm thinking about buying a steam cleaner but I'm not sure how well it will work. I have a tile shower and cleaning the mold in it is a pain.
Have you ever owned a steam cleaner, and how well did it work? I'm thinking about getting this steamer but I want to make sure it gets the mold and isn't a waste.
bank5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I bought one a few years ago at Sears. I found it slow and just about useless, so I brought it back.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:55 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I bought a steamer type after seeing it "work" on an infomercial a few years back. I think it caused more trouble that help. I used it to steam the faucet handles to try and get rid of growth there...soon afterwards, the handles started to leak. Not sure if there was direct cause, but I think so.
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:56 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I have owned a steam cleaner for years (I bought it before steam cleaners became infomercial staples). Steam cleaners are very popular in Europe, where I grew up, and my mom has been using one for at least 20 years. I like it and use it all the time to clean ceramic tiles very effectively. I have never used it on mold however. For mold, I use a brush with a diluted solution of bleach. That works very well for me.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:13 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I have owned a steam cleaner for years (I bought it before steam cleaners became infomercial staples). Steam cleaners are very popular in Europe, where I grew up, and my mom has been using one for at least 20 years. I like it and use it all the time to clean ceramic tiles very effectively. I have never used it on mold however. For mold, I use a brush with a diluted solution of bleach. That works very well for me.
So, what is it effective on? Soap scum? Hard water or calcium deposit?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:20 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
In my experience, the above get cleaned better with an acidic cleaner (especially if there is a significant buildup). I use the steamer for general dirt and grime on tile floors, stone counter tops, grout lines and windows (being careful that the windows are not too cold).
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:20 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

I have the Shark steam pro mop and I love it . It really cleans my tile . I also have a handy steamer for my clothes and i'm amazed how well that works for $15.99.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:07 AM   #8

I used to have one of these: Oil Fired Steam Cleaner and Oil Fired Steam Generator and Oil Fired Pressure Washer

I used it on farm machinery and it worked well, maybe not your question?
Old 03-29-2010, 07:17 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for all of the responses. Since I don't want to buy something and be disappointed with it I'm going to hold off on the steam cleaner and use bleach and a brush for the shower.
bank5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:30 AM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
I'm thinking about buying a steam cleaner but I'm not sure how well it will work. I have a tile shower and cleaning the mold in it is a pain.
Have you ever owned a steam cleaner, and how well did it work? I'm thinking about getting this steamer but I want to make sure it gets the mold and isn't a waste.
I used a handheld steamer in my shower and it was a giant disappointment plus it was a lot of work .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:33 AM   #11

Banks, I actually purchased the very steamer you were thinking about buying. It is head and shoulders above most steamers out there and is idea for doing your shower. My main reason for buying said steamer was for a shower that sound similar to yours. The mentioned steamer is good because it's tank lasts for ages and it has sufficient steam volume unlike others. Do not compare it to most handheld steamers that others are talking about. I had a friend who bought a Shark handheld to do the shower and her number 1 complaint was it did not last long enough before needing refilling. I found that no combination of cleaning products and heavy industrial strength brushes got my shower clean like this steamer does.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:36 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
I used to have one of these: Oil Fired Steam Cleaner and Oil Fired Steam Generator and Oil Fired Pressure Washer

I used it on farm machinery and it worked well, maybe not your question?
I had forgotten these things. We used to clean Mobile Feed machines when I was a teenager.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
In my experience, NONE of those...nor on mold. We bought one for that very purpose. Boxed it up and returned the next day. A real PITA to operate and didn't seem to clean anything. It was a Wagner 905 model, IIRC.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:24 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Have you considered a dehumidifier? Ours costs $10/month in electricity, but it controls the mold pretty well. Mold just can't handle relative humidity less than 50%.

Also, for any painted surface, special mold-inhibiting paint works very well.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Have you considered a dehumidifier? Ours costs $10/month in electricity, but it controls the mold pretty well. Mold just can't handle relative humidity less than 50%.
Yes, this was my thought as well - if you have mold, then the real problem is just too much humidity. Perhaps a better vent/fan to remove the moisture?

WM is offline   Reply With Quote