Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Anyone own a wet saw for tile?
Old 03-02-2006, 10:00 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

And what's wrong with nippers?? :P
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nipples.jpg (9.6 KB, 62 views)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2006, 10:14 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather
And what's wrong with nippers??* :P
Nothing at all!

Although they tend to be expensive and they take a lot of practice before you're sure that you're using them properly.

I'd have to say that they're best used when placed in the hands of trained professionals.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 10:19 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

I'm stunned that it took three whole pages to digress from power tools to big boobs.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 03:54 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Should've seen the caption on that shirt, before editing...

Old 03-03-2006, 03:57 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

"dont just look at them...touch them!" ?

By the way, the armstrong tiles will attach directly to concrete, you paint the concrete with a latex primer that armstrong sells. It makes the concrete smooth and slightly tacky. My dad did both bathrooms at his house with it yesterday and likes the results. No grout to clean, looks just like tile, feels just like tile, about a buck a square foot. Looks like the way to go. Now I just have to get the wife to pick a color/texture she likes.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:33 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Something about her nips getting harder than... you know the drill...

Old 03-03-2006, 10:03 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Showed it to my wife and told her they were tools I needed to install the floor.

She said she didnt think so.

Old 03-08-2006, 10:06 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Pulled up the carpet in the bathroom today, several good cracks in that concrete mean that ceramic wasnt going to work in there either. In fact, once I saw where one of them ran, it went into the shower stall and there was a hairline crack up the middle of the tiles in there that I hadnt even seen before. I've seen tiles break from their grout near a crack, but i've never seen ceramic tile crack right up the middle like that. Amazing.

Pulling up carpet tack strips is every bit the swell time I remember it being. :P

Its all patched and scraped, ready for a coat of concrete primer and the new floor installation in the morning once the underlayment patch is dry. I found a nice parquet faux wood vinyl tile that should look good once its in...because of the pattern the 'line' between tiles should be nearly invisible.

I found a really cool tool to use for this...its a "general angle-izer". Adjustable four sided guide for cutting odd shapes and angles. This bathroom is ALL angles and funny corners, so I wasnt looking forward to cutting about 1/4 of the tiles and fiddling with the cuts to get them to fit correctly...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg angle-izer.jpg (9.7 KB, 62 views)
Old 03-09-2006, 11:43 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Fas-cin-ate-ing... yeah I know its not spelled that way.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/lee92.html
Old 03-10-2006, 08:43 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

And done. Vinyl tile turns out to be pretty easy to install. About an hour to tear up the old carpet, pry up the tack strips, and patch the cracks and holes that the tack strip nails left. About 3.5 hours to put down all the tile. Another half hour to do the transition strips to the bedroom and closet carpet and clean up. A *very* tough bathroom to do, a lot of angles, twists, turns, and several doorways.

That angle-izer thing was absolutely useless.

The wife said I cant put down roofing material on the floors.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:42 AM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n Fuzzy Bunny
I'm stunned that it took three whole pages to digress from power tools to big boobs.
That is because we like power tools as well. Just not as much.

Bruce
Old 03-11-2006, 07:45 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
And done. Vinyl tile turns out to be pretty easy to install. About an hour to tear up the old carpet, pry up the tack strips, and patch the cracks and holes that the tack strip nails left. About 3.5 hours to put down all the tile. Another half hour to do the transition strips to the bedroom and closet carpet and clean up. A *very* tough bathroom to do, a lot of angles, twists, turns, and several doorways.

That angle-izer thing was absolutely useless.

The wife said I cant put down roofing material on the floors.
OK, sounds good. Where is the picture?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 08:53 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm

Got a good view of the basement yesterday - a nice simple bathroom - right!! Glad I had hired a recommended contractor. The subfloor and floor were marginal due to water* over the years.

Sooo - 3/4 plywood patch around the toilet, new subfloor and a sheet of Lowes vinyl later - done.

Any wet saw/tile projects will wait till spring and probably be tryed on outside projects first.

Meanwhile - back to boob viewing and the tool section of stores.

P.S. The old red oak floor under the carpet looks pretty bad so far - but that's another thread. Leaning toward Bellawood Brazilian Cherry - but still waffling. Step daughter in spare room went to visit a fishing resort in AL and her father on the Gulf Coast.

? - the joy of ER back in the burbs??

heh heh heh heh - time for more coffee.

Old 03-11-2006, 12:33 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
OK, sounds good. Where is the picture?
Voila...

This is a problem. This morning my wife said "That was so easy, why dont we do the other bathroom and the kitchen?".

Note the 3rd party measurement of the effort required, and the illegitimate use of the term "we"....
Old 03-11-2006, 01:19 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

That's an amazing looking floor! The darker stuff looks even more realistic than the lighter stuff! So just to recap, that's 12" vinyl tile, right? Is it the same kind of stuff I installed, because I didn't see that color scheme.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:12 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Its armstrong stylistick II 89c a tile at home depot, 12x12. I went for the parquet look instead of the granite/tile/marble look because the parquet hides the 'lines' between the tiles that show on a homogenous pattern.

There was an identical pattern in a lighter wood, but I didnt like the contrast with the cabinets that made. There was also a 'boxed' parquet that looked good and was a better match, but I lost the 'hidden line' feature. The sell a 'true' parquet that would have been a better match for the cabinets, but nobody in the area stocked it and I wanted to dig into it while the wife has 5 days off this week.

Old 03-11-2006, 03:04 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Its armstrong stylistick II* 89c a tile at home depot, 12x12.* I went for the parquet look instead of the granite/tile/marble look because the parquet hides the 'lines' between the tiles that show on a homogenous pattern.
That's exactly the same pattern we put into a livingroom in 1989. Probably the same company.

FWIW, it's worn quite well over the years. The nicest thing about it is that a gouged tile can just be pried up & replaced.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:26 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

This is a problem. This morning my wife said "That was so easy, why dont we do the other bathroom and the kitchen?".

Note the 3rd party measurement of the effort required, and the illegitimate use of the term "we"....
Why do husbands always pick up on that . Mine is forever correcting me.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:32 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

We're funny that way.

Nords, one of the main reasons I went with this. We've got three 'divots' in the kitchen sheet linoleum, necessitating its near term replacement. I'm looking forward to being able to replace it 12" at a time.

Gosh that sounded dirty for some reason.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:03 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Nords, one of the main reasons I went with this.* We've got three 'divots' in the kitchen sheet linoleum, necessitating its near term replacement.* I'm looking forward to being able to replace it 12" at a time.
My parents-in-law are coming up on their annual Mainland odyssey, and replacing their kitchen sheet vinyl is tops on the list of things to do while they're gone.

Along with oiling the shake roof, checking the water heater's anode rod, and replacing the belt on the garage door motor. It'll be a real fun time.