Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone own a wet saw for tile?
Old 03-01-2006, 01:44 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Anyone own a wet saw for tile?

Going to be doing some tiling projects, a couple of bathrooms and eventually my kitchen.

Looking at some of the 7" under $100 wet saws and theres quite a variety at many stores.

Anyone try one out and have a +/- opinion of it?

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Anyone own a wet saw for tile?
Old 03-01-2006, 02:03 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

We had a borrowed, ancient wet saw we used for our bathroom project. Worked fabulous.

When we were done we used it to cut some small rocks in half. We were going to make some artsy stuff out of them but never followed through. Anyone want any half rocks?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 02:05 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Bought one at Lowes for ~$70; cuts through tile like butter. I believe they also had one for $40, but I decided to move up a notch...

Qep?, model 60087, 4A motor

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 02:13 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Thanks...the Lowes QEP was one of the ones I was looking for.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:30 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
. . . Anyone want any half rocks?*
Is this question related to the vasectomy thread in some way?
Old 03-01-2006, 02:33 PM   #6

I picked up a Workforce Tile Cutter at the Depot for $80 a couple years ago. Cuts slate, marble and tile (of course) no problem.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:35 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The only thing I can tell you is don't use the manual, "scratch and break" thing my friend loaned me when I tiled my bathroom. *I wasted enough tiles to make buying the saw worth it and then some! *And forget about working around the toilet with that, or any curved line!

Another lesson to learn from me, don't buy the 1/4 inch spacers, no matter how thin the 1/8 spacers look, 1/4 grout lines are freaking huge. *I'm telling you, my tile project was a master's thesis on what not to do.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:08 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Yes, 1/4" spacers are for 12" tiles...*

No jokes about "so that's 12"..." :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 05:29 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Another great tip! I had great luck with a rotozip tool for cuting curves and irregular shapes in tile. I had seen the infomercial on TV in the middle of the night and when we went to the Depot in Jax, they had one set up to experiment with. I used it and managed to sell three during lthe demo and I don't even work for HD.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:45 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I am another owner of the Lowes $80 saw. It has paid for itself many times over. I have tiled the entry way, fireplace, bathroom vanity, shower, kitchen floor, and stove backsplash. I'm still on the original blade and it is going strong.

If a tool is within reason, I prefer buying to renting. This is one of those, for me at least.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain_Mike
I am another owner of the Lowes $80 saw. It has paid for itself many times over. I have tiled the entry way, fireplace, bathroom vanity, shower, kitchen floor, and stove backsplash. I'm still on the original blade and it is going strong.

If a tool is within reason, I prefer buying to renting. This is one of those, for me at least.
I'm with Mike. Renting is ok for those once-in-a-blue-moon projects (carpet shampooers, jackhammers, drum sanders, etc.). I own both types of tile cutters. With a little practice the score and break cutters are fine for small jobs. The wet saws are a must have for "production work". If possible use the wet saw outside. It can get messy. Have fun!

Old 03-02-2006, 07:51 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

I own a MK that cost about $150, although I bought it reconditioned for cheaper. I'm not exactly happy with it, but I've done a couple of thousand cuts (on half as many tiles), and I know all the querks on getting it to produce good output. Work outside, be prepared to get wet and wear some minimum ear protection. Also, if you live near any neighbors, give them a break and don't start before 9am and end before 5pm.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:07 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Reviews on the MK are iffy, a lot of guys say they have to be readjusted a bit more than they like to maintain straight cuts. The QEP's at all price levels seems to get positive reviews.

I might end up doing linoleum instead of tile though. One of the areas I want to do is the kitchen and I have a huge crack in the slab that of course runs right up the middle of the floor. Probably could get my little finger into it. I'd have to dress and level the whole floor to do tile and it'd probably just crack again along a grout line.

I dont know if I'd use them vs sheet linoleum or how they'd look en masse but I was pretty impressed with the appearance and quality of the newer vinyl tiles. Without touching them they look a lot like ceramic.

I also saw a new product in one of the department stores that my dad saw at Lowes (apparently not at home depot yet). Its a vinyl product that comes in long pieces, sort of like the wood laminate flooring, except its all vinyl. I asked one of the guys that was putting the stuff down in the store and he said it was really easy to install. I liked the look of it...even more wood-like in appearance than the laminate, and if it can take store traffic it'd probably work out ok in my bathroom.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:56 PM   #14

I've laid vinyl tiles before (to cover an asbestos linoleum tile floor still in good enough condition as an underlayment). They were a cinch. They looked like ceramic tile, cleaned up easily, and looked like new after 10 years of use. The only trick was to not put down too much adhesive. If there is too much adhesive it takes forever to dry and will squeeze out between the seams.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:09 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Anyone with any experience with the self-stick ones, particularly in a bathroom? Do they unstick or curl after a while? Any problems with moisture? Anyone stick them directly to a concrete slab, since i'm taking up carpet to lay these down? Yes, someone installed carpet in the bathroom...swell idea... :P
Old 03-02-2006, 02:10 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Well, you know I put down that linolium tile that looks like wood in my daughter's bedroom and have recieved rave reviews from family/friends. *I highly recommend the stuff with the self adhesive back, they are slow to set which is a good thing, since I found I was slightly off at one point as was able to slide/push the tile over a tenth of an inch to correct. *Now they are good and set. *Took me about 8 hours from start to finish to do the room.

EDIT: whoa, I think we are supposed to yell "jinx" or something. Close to a month now, right? No curling, but it's not in a bathroom.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:15 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Did you set them directly to concrete or to wood?
Old 03-02-2006, 03:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute n' Fuzzy Bunny
Anyone with any experience with the self-stick ones, particularly in a bathroom? Do they unstick or curl after a while? Any problems with moisture? Anyone stick them directly to a concrete slab, since i'm taking up carpet to lay these down? Yes, someone installed carpet in the bathroom...swell idea... :P
Our house already had the self-stick kind in two of our bathrooms, one wood and other concrete. We absolutely hated the way they looked. We've since replaced both with tile and are very happy with the results. If you do decide to do the self-stick, make sure you'll like it because it was an absolute bitch to get the floor(s) cleaned up before we could lay the tile down.

We used these 2-inch octagon shaped tiles that were glued together into 12" square "formations" that were already spaced apart. So we didn't have to mess with use spacers everywhere, just between the places were the 12" tiles came together. Worked out real well. http://www.daltileproducts.com/serie...at=4&series=85
Old 03-02-2006, 03:10 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

It was a surface called....superboard? *Second floor room, I guess if you have regular fiberboard/plywood for your second floor underlayer, that's not good for tile. *Fortunately, they built my house up to spec for tile floor. *I don't know if that type of underlayment is neccessary for the vinyl tile. *I put real tile down in the bathroom that is most used (tearing up the dang carpet, just like you) with the superboard(?) underneath, and after almost a year of two showers a day, no problems with shifting/cracking....
Old 03-02-2006, 03:12 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderALot
Our house already had the self-stick kind in two of our bathrooms, one wood and other concrete.* We absolutely hated the way they looked.* We've since replaced both with tile and are very happy with the results.* If you do decide to do the self-stick, make sure you'll like it because it was an absolute bitch to get the floor(s) cleaned up before we could lay the tile down.

really? There didn't seem to be enough substance to the self stick side of the tile to leave that much gunk? The self stick is just for a few years until we decide what we really want to do, any tips for getting the gunk up? Did you try any solvents etc.?