Old 01-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRiP Guy View Post
Excellent. See that is probably the one I *should* have tried next:

* Same micro size as mCX2, instead of larger CP Pro2
* Fixed pitch rotor instead of collective of CP PRo2
* It can crash without expensive repairs
* No list of hundreds of threads on the RC boards of people selling wrecked ones!

Oh, well!

I don't know too much about these things other than what he says. This is his first micro helicopter. He says the sticks seems to hang a little from the neutral position. He does like the fact that it has dual rates.

He's been flying RC fixed wing for about 23 years now. Helicopters for about 15.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2011, 08:26 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You folks are having way too much fun. Keep it up.

I 'm sticking with s107 until it wears out or crashes beyond fix. Since I have a clone that is essentially junk, have a battery and one motor +tail rotor motor as a spare.

Then I might go for something a tad more complicated. Likely for one with a collective and single rotor blade.

Genuinely cheap entertainment, love it.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
You folks are having way too much fun. Keep it up.

I 'm sticking with s107 until it wears out or crashes beyond fix. Since I have a clone that is essentially junk, have a battery and one motor +tail rotor motor as a spare.

Then I might go for something a tad more complicated. Likely for one with a collective and single rotor blade.

Genuinely cheap entertainment, love it.
Indeed. It is downright mind-blowing how much technology they can now cram into even the low end toys, much less the next level up 'hobby' products.

By looking into some of the advanced RC forums, though, I find it's still the case that a really determined person could still blow a wad on getting the latest greatest bleeding edge stuff. LOL

But it seems to me that we are at a fantastic place to be a beginner in this hobby! You really can do it 'on the cheap,' unlike any prior time, and have a ball of fun for not too many dollars as long as you think a bit before you leap (I know -- physician heal thyself! LOL).

One of the breakthroughs I intend to exploit fully is the 2.4 GHz spread spectrum band and associated frequency hopping technology, that allows for the use of one transmitter for a whole host of models -- planes and helis -- any or all of which can be 'bound' to the transmitter, allowing not only a unique personality of custom settings to be associated with each craft, but perfectly safe, secure, and high bandwidth connection to a bunch of models on the field at the same time, and same 'base' 2.4 GHz freq, all with no interference at all, including interference from other RF sources!

So, for instance, I happened across the E-flite (Blade) system (there are others) and they call it "DSM2," and as long as I get a DSM or DSM2 compatible aircraft, my transmitter will work with that model.

That list includes both micro and full sized models, including T-28 Trojan, T-34 Mentor, P-47 Thunderbolt, P-51 Mustang, J-3 Piper Cub, F-4U Corsair, BF-109 Messerschmitt, SU-26 Sukhoi and other airplanes, as well as the multitude of helis I am interested in right now.

At the upper end, they even have a 40" long brushless DC ducted fan JET, for a couple hundred dollars for Pete's sakes. When I was growing up, a ducted fan jet RC model would have cost several thousands of dollars, and many hundreds of man-hours to build the fragile one-off thing, with pretty horrible flight performance. Now you pretty much snap the foam wings on these things, and go, including the Jet!

Anyway, I am jazzed about getting my CP heli... should be here around midweek next week, but for now, I am still buzzing through the house in my little coax!

Video of the ducted fan jet at work:
Old 01-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think you are wise to follow the training program. Single rotors are more quirky. But oh so much more rewarding, once you get the hang of it.

Once you add the collective with power control for speed/altitude/attitude control things get real busy.

I know I will do the ground level training once I get to the single rotor toys. On real helis I have flown (with real pilots in close proximity of controls) there is auto throttle that simplifies things in level flight, not really practical in toys.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
I think you are wise to follow the training program. Single rotors are more quirky. But oh so much more rewarding, once you get the hang of it.

Once you add the collective with power control for speed/altitude/attitude control things get real busy.

I know I will do the ground level training once I get to the single rotor toys. On real helis I have flown (with real pilots in close proximity of controls) there is auto throttle that simplifies things in level flight, not really practical in toys.
I really am looking forward to the challenge! It's strange to say for a person over 50, but seriously, I think I am just now old enough for this 'toy' -- I would have salivated to have had it earlier in life, but would likely have either pitched headlong into trying to just seat of the pants pick up flying it, or else started with the 'ground school' approach, but then short-circuited it prematurely once I got wheels-up.

Now, I am really looking forward to savoring each minor milestone and will try to be disciplined about it. I really like Radd's approach of going by 'batteries' for the size of the lessons. If there is any interest, I can post back here as I progress (or, what would probably more entertaining for you guys, 'fail to progress' LOL).