Anyone Read German?

Nodak

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have been packing up for my move and in the process found something that I forgot I had. It was found by my mother in an old house when she was a teenager. I have no idea what it is and running the text through google translate didn't help much. It is solid silver. Just noticed I should have proof read the thread title.

Attachments

• IMAG0018.jpg
    IMAG0018.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMAG0019.jpg
    IMAG0019.jpg
    703.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I have been packing up for my move and in the process found something that I forgot I had. It was found by my mother in an old house when she was a teenager. I have no idea what it is and running the text through google translate didn't help much. It is solid silver. Just noticed I should have proof read the thread title.

I don't read German, but I fixed the title... that I can do. ;)

From meager memory, something about 25 yr anniversary or memory. Of whomever Karl Graf was.

Last edited:
I don't know German, but I puzzled out a little. It commemorates the 25th anniversary of an association of pigeon racing clubs, President: Karl Baron von Alten-Linsingen.

Edit: I found a reference to a "Charles George Edmund Baron von Alten-Linsingen, 1884-1916" being president of such an association:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.brieftaube.de/web/index.php%3Foption%3Dcom_content%26view%3Darticle%26id%3D54%26Itemid%3D72%26lang%3Dde&ei=07aITqffKqTKiALpzdXODA&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CB8Q7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3DBrieftauben%2BLiebh.-Vereine%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DaPS%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial%26prmd%3Dimvns

In case the above reference to a translated version doesn't work, here is the German version:
http://www.brieftaube.de/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54&Itemid=72〈=de
Poster_AktionMensch_A4.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know German, but I puzzled out a little. It commemorates the 25th anniversary of an association of pigeon racing clubs, President: Karl Baron von Alten-Linsingen.

Edit: I found a reference to a "Charles George Edmund Baron von Alten-Linsingen, 1884-1916" being president of such an association:
Google Translate

In case the above reference to a translated version doesn't work, here is the German version:
http://www.brieftaube.de/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54&Itemid=72〈=de
Poster_AktionMensch_A4.jpg
Thank you! Now I wish I knew how it wound up in Cavalier ND. No pigeon racers around here that I've ever heard of.

Thank you! Now I wish I knew how it wound up in Cavalier ND. No pigeon racers around here that I've ever heard of.

Cant figure out out the label on mag cover fully, but the last three words "fur aktion mench" means "for action men" It is same meaning in yiddish;)

Fliegen roughly= flying, or flown

Rusty brain cells creaking loudly in my head.

Last edited:

But lots of ancestral Germans! I was once driving through South Dakota to visit where an ethnic German ancestor lived, and saw a billboard for a Coffee Kuchen festival (there should be an umlaut but I don't know how to make one with this keyboard).

But lots of ancestral Germans! I was once driving through South Dakota to visit where an ethnic German ancestor lived, and saw a billboard for a Coffee Kuchen festival (there should be an umlaut but I don't know how to make one with this keyboard).
My ancestry is 100% German for as far back as I can trace. This area is a little unusual in that there are lots of Norwegians, Scots, and Icelanders along with the Germans.

... Coffee Kuchen festival (there should be an umlaut but I don't know how to make one with this keyboard).
Here's kuchen with umlaut u: küchen. I don't know how to just type out exotic characters on my keyboard, either, but here is an on-screen keyboard one can use to get the characters on screen, International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) Chart Unicode ?Keyboard? , and then you can copy-paste the transcription to where you want it. It's a little cumbersome.

Back
Top Bottom