Anyone Recognize This Statue

And how 'bout this one? I took this photo in my recent RV trek.

That looks like the fisherman statue in Eastport, Maine. And on the subject of fishing, what's this one?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 9
At first I thought the turtle was Testudo, the mascot of the University of Maryland, but not so. Testudo the Terrapin, College Park, Maryland

And for trivia:

Good guess on the turtle. And with a similar story line - The statue is famed Galapagos tortoise Lonesome George, believed to be the last living member of his sub-species. He was provided with various mates, but he was unsuccessful in keeping his sub-species going. Rumor has it (at least as told by the local man who told me the story) that George could recognize that the mates were not of the same sub-species as him and therefore did not try to procreate. Statue is in Fountain Hills, Arizona.

Famed Galapagos tortoise Lonesome George dies - Chicago Sun-Times

Good guess on the turtle. And with a similar story line - The statue is famed Galapagos tortoise Lonesome George, believed to be the last living member of his sub-species. He was provided with various mates, but he was unsuccessful in keeping his sub-species going. Rumor has it (at least as told by the local man who told me the story) that George could recognize that the mates were not of the same sub-species as him and therefore did not try to procreate. Statue is in Fountain Hills, Arizona.

Famed Galapagos tortoise Lonesome George dies - Chicago Sun-Times

There's a country music song there somewhere.......

That looks like the fisherman statue in Eastport, Maine.

That's correct. Eastport is the easternmost town of the US. I had to go there to be able to say that I have been. The statue is at the end of the main street that runs along the water.

Where are these statues located, and what is the story behind them?

How about this monster dude?

Notice the boat in the background for size reference.

Attachments

• giant.JPG
    giant.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 13
Pissing dog in Brussels, Belgium.

Good job.
There are three pissing statues in downtown Brussels: a little boy (the oldest by far), a little girl, and a little dog. The little boy (Mannekin Pis) is often dressed in costume, and the city museum has hundreds of those costumes on display.

Truth be told, while I did see the pissing boy in person when visiting Brussels, I missed the other two.

With the proliferation of images and info on the Web, one can find out about anything, if one cares to look. But some images are more popular than others, and so far nobody has found my 2nd challenge of the Indian and beaver statues. Heh heh heh...

I assume it's a statue of Glooscap in Nova Scotia, but I don't know where it would be.

I have been away the last few days, and just remember to close out this item.

Yes, Braumeister deserves some partial credit. My posted photo is of the statues of the mythical hero Koluskap (alternate spellings are Gluskabe, Glooskap, Kluscap, or Gluskab) and the giant beaver. They are located in Wolastoq Park, which is on a hill overlooking the Reversing Falls of St. John River and across the bay from the downtown of St. John, New Brunswick, Canada.

In ancient times, beavers were huge animals and were feared by the native Mi'qmaq. When the beavers built a huge dam, flooded the village, and kept the salmon from going upstream, the Mi'qmaq called their Koluskap for help. With one blow of his powerful club, Koluskap destroyed the beavers' dam. He grabbed the leader of the beavers by the tail, and flung him far away, killing him. As the remaining beavers cowered in fear, Koluskap stroked their head, and with each stroke the beavers shrunk and shrunk until they reached their current size.

I do not know why google gave you those finds, but when I used the keywords "beaver statue" to search for images, google returned plenty of photos of beaver statues, but none matching the one I posted.

Some statues are popular, and their photos are posted all over the Web, such as that of the "Peeing Dog" in Brussels, and "Man at the Wheel" in Massachusetts. I thought the fisherman at Eastport Maine would not be found as it is not all that popular, but there are a couple of photos on the Web, and obviously Meabh found one.

Before posting the statues of Koluskap and the beaver, I did do a test search to make sure that it would not be easy to find, even though it is in a public park in a major Canadian city. Heh heh heh... If you google with the following 2 key words Koluskap and beaver, you will see a photo or two, but not with the alternate spellings such as Kluskap or Glooscap.

Why is it when I type standing beaver stone statue into google, I get Nelson Mandela, camels, pelicans, and Jesus statues, but no standing beaver stone statues? I give up.:confused:

I got the same kind of stuff as you, E-W Gal.
NW-B, how about giving E-W Gal and me partial credit for at least trying. I mean, you gave braumeister partial credit...

Braumeiter got a C because he recognized that the Indian was Glooscap or Koluscap.

And I still have not figured out how a Google search on "beaver" would return "Nelson Mandela, camels, pelicans, and Jesus statues". I don't believe it.

What I got when searching without including "Koluscap" were several photos of the statue of Joe Paterno, like the one I linked in below.

Joe Paterno? That name sounds familiar. Oh yes, he's the infamous coach. But what he has to do with beaver? I discovered that the statue was outside Beaver Stadium, hence the link. But shouldn't this stadium have a statue of beaver the animal too, if they like beavers so much? No, silly me. The Beaver here is James Beaver, former governor of Pennsylvania.

So, for a partial credit, you must be able to explain the link between "beaver" and "Nelson Mandela, camels, pelicans, and Jesus".

120716072347_joe-paterno-statue.jpg

Last edited:
Touchdown Jesus, better known as Big Butter Jesus, was kind of fun, but when I drive by it, I always think of its replacement as Fisherman Jesus.

I swear, that fish was THIS BIG!

Attachments

• Lux_Mundi,_OH.jpg
    Lux_Mundi,_OH.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 29
Back
Top Bottom