Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone remember this show?
Old 12-19-2008, 05:23 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone remember this show?

Every year around this time I think about a TV movie that aired quite a few years ago, on PBS maybe.

It starred John Houseman, I think, and maybe Jane Alexander, as well as an ensemble cast I can't remember. The story was about a small town church choir and their struggle to perform their annual "Messiah" concert despite a number of discouraging occurrences. I remember Houseman (who played the choir director) explaining to the choir that "amateur" derives from the latin "amat", "he loves".

Does this ring a bell? I would love to track it down. Any ideas about databases or search engines that could help?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2008, 05:31 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

IMDB.Com lets you look up by Actor

John Houseman (I)
gettingthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:50 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Yow, that was fast! I'm impressed, mb, & thanks. Your Google talent is greater than mine. Yeah, M Learned not J Alexander.

Netflix knows about it, but the availability is "unknown". Oh well. If you get the chance, watch it.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:40 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

No 'talent' involved, all I did was use the standard Google search box and typed in 'john+houseman+messiah' and up it came......embarrassingly easy really

Google is da bomb!
mbooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 05:11 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingthere View Post
IMDB.Com lets you look up by Actor

John Houseman (I)
Old John was a good one. I enjoyed the Paper Chase. The tv version. I see that he died in 1988. Hard to believe it has been that long.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:50 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
I enjoyed the Paper Chase.
I have never noticed that it has been in reruns (like MASH, Andy of Mayberry, Perry Mason etc). As I recall that was a very well produced series that Housman's character made successful.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote