Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone sound proof their home effectively?
Old 12-20-2016, 02:27 PM   #1
gone traveling

Anyone sound proof their home effectively?

I moved into a townhouse which I own and found out that my next door neighbor has two kids who scream and yell all the time. The other side has a barking dog. I have tried to talk to the neighbors and got no where. Tried to get the homeowner association involved with no luck.

My thought now is to get the walls professionally sound proofed.

Anyone have experience with soundproofing through expert contractors and have luck and know how much it will cost?
Retired and Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2016, 02:32 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You can add a lot of sound proofing just by adding additional drywall. Ideally, you'd add a second wall so the studs don't touch the original wall, fill with fiberglass insulation, then drywall the new wall with a couple layers of 3/4 or 5/8 drywall. Seal any outlets or pass through holes very well with caulk.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:33 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Retired and Restless, you sound a lot like Waiting For Pension and Forced to Retire. Why don't you three guys get together and see if you can't help each other with your problems?
Old 12-20-2016, 02:40 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
You can add a lot of sound proofing just by adding additional drywall. Ideally, you'd add a second wall so the studs don't touch the original wall, fill with fiberglass insulation, then drywall the new wall with a couple layers of 3/4 or 5/8 drywall. Seal any outlets or pass through holes very well with caulk.
This!

The last townhouse we lived in had a double wall between the units with added insulation. This worked very well.

Even just having extra insulation in the walls helps - when we had our current home built, we had this done between the family room (main TV area) and my office (I used to work at home) and it helps a lot.

Still, if the neighbors are particularly noisy, I'd spring for the double wall.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 03:49 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Retired and Restless, you sound a lot like Waiting For Pension and Forced to Retire. Why don't you three guys get together and see if you can't help each other with your problems?
Maybe they've all "gone travelling" together?

Good call. I was guessing the same from the SS thread but it seemed to soon.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 04:26 PM   #6

Check out the home theater builds in the AVS Forum. AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
There is some great examples of soundproofing.
jfn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 04:37 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfn111 View Post
Check out the home theater builds in the AVS Forum. AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
There is some great examples of soundproofing.
Here is a good link from that forum: 4 Elements of Soundproofing - Soundproofing Company
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 04:39 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Just wait, as you get older your hearing will go, so it will all be quieter.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
What about through-the-ceiling noises?
Old 12-20-2016, 06:26 PM   #9

What about through-the-ceiling noises?

Similar question, but a bit different.

Upstairs neighbor clomps around. I never hear his TV or stereo, etc....mostly just his heavy footfalls from the minute he gets out of bed around 7 am (which often wakes me, as I'm in those final bits of lighter sleep). I can hear the vacuum being run upstairs, but that is only in use occasionally and during my waking hours.

It's a 13-year old 2-story condo, 1650 sq. ft...with about 18" air space above my drywall ceiling to the concrete and tile floor of his unit. The utilities (water, electric, A/C ducts, return air ducts, etc.) are run through this air space, as the unit is built on a slab.) My kitchen has 5 recessed can light fixtures which also extend into this air space.

I have started running one of these white noise sound machines in my bedroom at night, which seems to cut down on my sleep being interrupted by his stomping. https://www.amazon.com/Marpac-Dohm-D...00HD0ELFK?th=1

Although I'd prefer not to have to listen to any noise (white or otherwise, lol) when I'm sleeping.

Any quick and easy ideas to soundproof between our units?

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Similar question, but a bit different.

Upstairs neighbor clomps around. I never hear his TV or stereo, etc....mostly just his heavy footfalls from the minute he gets out of bed around 7 am (which often wakes me, as I'm in those final bits of lighter sleep). I can hear the vacuum being run upstairs, but that is only in use occasionally and during my waking hours.

It's a 13-year old 2-story condo, 1650 sq. ft...with about 18" air space above my drywall ceiling to the concrete and tile floor of his unit. The utilities (water, electric, A/C ducts, return air ducts, etc.) are run through this air space, as the unit is built on a slab.) My kitchen has 5 recessed can light fixtures which also extend into this air space.

I have started running one of these white noise sound machines in my bedroom at night, which seems to cut down on my sleep being interrupted by his stomping. https://www.amazon.com/Marpac-Dohm-D...00HD0ELFK?th=1

Although I'd prefer not to have to listen to any noise (white or otherwise, lol) when I'm sleeping.

Any quick and easy ideas to soundproof between our units?

omni
There are lots of quick and easy things you can try such as insulation and more drywall. If you really want to mitigate the noise, you need to do some research on noise transfer and see if you can figure out how the noise is transferred and what to do to mitigate it. The AVS Forum is the best place I have found for in-depth discussion in noise transfer and mitigation. BTW, that footfall issue you have is one of the hardest to eliminate.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:38 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

We share common walls, but there is about a 6 inch airspace between us and the neighbor and the studs do not line up. We hear nothing.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:08 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Insulation is not all created equal. They have a special sound deadening insulation available, and 5/8" drywall or two layers helps.

Have you considered putting Ernest Tubb's "T for Texas" on a loop on your stereo, turning it up very loudly and going away for the weekend?
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post

Travelover has stated just what I was going to post. I worked with Architects who did this in similar cases plus I did a job for a radio station with soundproof rooms. A really sound proof wall is 18"-24" thick double wall with studs and drywall vertical layers isolated, but you can do almost as good with a double wall not as wide, say 12". Studs are staggered.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:04 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post

Any quick and easy ideas to soundproof between our units? .
Buy your neighbor wall to wall carpeting or switch units.

I understand your issue, I had a person in a concrete apt living above me want to wear high heels on the tile floor, once they walked on the carpet it was a lot quieter, but the tile floors were loud.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:58 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Ah..shared walls, what a treat. That alone is enough to keep me from living in a town home/condo/apt/etc. Then again, I am sitting here listening to my neighbor use his industrial backpack blower to blow leaves for the 3rd time this week...and his sessions last about 2 hours; It's absolutely miserable. I am thinking our next homestead is going to have to be at least 5 acres for *some* sort of buffer, because 1/2 an acre ain't cutting it.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:23 AM   #16

Don't know if this would work for you but my Metal building house , I had sprayed 2.5 " closed cell foam . It seemed more expensive then conventional insulation but it keeps the house insulated and sound proofed . Understand this is a steel roofed home .

They usually charge a 1500. 00 minimum to come out and if you are just doing the walls you could probably get by on less then 4000.00
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:05 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Take up the drums or the tuba and make sure you practice a lot.
Revlefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:51 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I am a big fan of Roxul "Safe and Sound" mineral wool insulation. It is specifically designed for sound insulation (and fire resistance), much better than fiberglass. Lowe's sells it. I also use their insulating batts (which also reduce sound), more insulation than equivalent fiberglass.

With adjacent walls and ceilings, there's a limit to what you can do. Decoupling the surfaces is key, but tricky in an apartment/condo situation.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:22 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

And this is the very reason I purchased a home on 30 acres...no neighbors...no connected walls.

We lived in apartments for 10 years. I couldnt imagine owning a place that has walls connected to someone else. At least in an apartment you can leave relatively easy.

If I spoke to the neighbors and housing board and nothing changed...I would invest in a serious surround sound speaker with a massive sub...and no one would be getting any sleep.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 04:56 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Ah..shared walls, what a treat. That alone is enough to keep me from living in a town home/condo/apt/etc. Then again, I am sitting here listening to my neighbor use his industrial backpack blower to blow leaves for the 3rd time this week...and his sessions last about 2 hours; It's absolutely miserable. I am thinking our next homestead is going to have to be at least 5 acres for *some* sort of buffer, because 1/2 an acre ain't cutting it.
Exactly why I am on 17 acres!
Kimo is offline   Reply With Quote