Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-22-2016, 11:59 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I doubt it, Outlaw Country is anti-Nashville - they play real country on Sirius XM 60

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlaw_country
Yeah, saw that wiki when looking up the term. My problem (not being an avid listener of either genre) is that Cash (for example), to me bridges country/rock and Williams Jr. is pure Country. While Willie is "americana," and Steve Earle and Leon Russell are bridging americana/altRock. And all of those guys are (in my mind) closely tied to Nashville--although not to the highly produced "popular country."

My personal categories may not be the same as the "real" categories though.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2016, 12:30 PM   #42

Mostly OTA. Followed by BT streaming from the iPhone for podcasts and OTA streaming from out of market areas.

I gave Sirius/XM a try when I got a new car. I sort liked it, but what really drove me away was the half hourly cross promotions they did. I'd be listening to Doctor Radio learning all about the growth that's be giving me problems lately , ahem, and they'd start LOUDLY telling me all about some stupid channel I not only wasn't interested in, but it drove me to turn the thing off. Hated it.

Something like Apple Music or Spotify are much better music sources in my experience. To me satellite only makes sense if you are traveling WAY off the beaten path where there is no cell coverage.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:33 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Like most here, OTA for me...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:35 PM   #44

Only OTA radio here, too. In the car (2007 model) and two small radios at home, one in the study and one in the kitchen. I'm a Minnesota Public Radio addict.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:40 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I listen to OTA when in the car, which is very rare these days. And since most trips are pretty short here in the city, I might hear a song or two, or sometimes just part of a song and then a long commercial break.

Otherwise, I'll listen to Pandora or similar internet radio when near a computer/phone/tablet. Or I'll put on a youtube playlist of something I want to listen to (like when I get a yearning for some Johnny Cash techno remix).
Old 01-22-2016, 12:43 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Big time OTA radio junkie. Also have XM which I love but the renewal rates are getting obnoxious. I am happy that the DC-Balto region finally has Bloomberg Radio. I am no longer in the car all day since retiring, but I usually listen to news, talk, sports, all things NPR and Jazz, of course. I hardly know anyone that listens to AM radio like I do.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:47 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

We drive a lot. Long distances, too. Here's where I like the satellite.

When I get bored with the music, I'll switch to old time Radio Classics. I get a kick out of hearing a suspense drama, or Dragnet, or a host of others I never knew about. (For example: Nero Wolfe, the obese detective that figures it all out from his chair while drinking beer.) The theater of the mind is a lost art.

I know you can find a lot of this with streaming, but it is hit or miss for finding it. This is where I enjoy the "push". Something new (even if old) that was vetted out.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:02 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
I still listen in my car to OTA. I have seen what satellite radio has to offer. It is really good. But am I gonna go out and get it? No. I do not want another bill and while IMO the cost is worth it I am not going to do it. At home I listen to online radio and I can get any radio station I want from almost anywhere. In my car I suffer with local stations but I am not in my car all that much. I am just curious how everyone else feels about this and what do you do about it.

The same.

In house: Kitchen/bedroom: OTA local, OR streaming another OTA station on the internet

Car: OTA local. Satellite capable but why bother? I drive about 750 miles a year
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:26 PM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Only SW and Amateur Radio for me. Never in the car though, since someone decided they needed my $1K+ receiver setup more than I did.

Sirius / XM sometimes, although I can't stand the compression. At least both of my satellite receivers have worked for free for the past 4 or 5 years, I would never pay for that content. The stock, SIRI, however, has been very very good to me.

_B
Beldar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:58 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Not any more.

We plug in our iPod, iPhone, or iPad (USB connection). If we really want something different we stream. Usually we just listen to our massive music collection.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:07 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

OTA for me. I keep thinking about satellite radio, especially since OTA reception can be bad some places on the mountain, but I have about 20GB on a USB thumb drive so I can play most any of my music I'm really interested in hearing on my car. And I don't want to pay that high of a monthly/yearly fee.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:13 PM   #52

I like Sirius/XM, although I agree the play lists are too short. Although I do think they play every Jimmy Buffet song ever recorded, including a lot of live versions. However, I'm on the "call every 5 or 6 months and talk to customer retention" $6.00 a month plan. No way would I pay any more than that for radio.

I also listen to the OTA news stations. If I have to go anywhere near Los Angeles, it's KNX for the traffic reports starting around Bakersfield...
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 04:15 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

We dropped satellite radio over a year ago. It's way too expensive.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:32 PM   #54

Yes. I just turn of the commercials. Might wear out the on/off switch! No way I'm paying for radio. Heck, I'm already paying too much for crap TV.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:03 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Yes. Mostly 40M SSB, and in the car 2M FM on the local repeaters.

Wait, what?

Hey, it's over the air...

I do occasionally listen to AM broadcast, primarily news when weather turns bad, and in the car DW likes to listen to sports broadcasts. I sometimes tune in the local NPR affiliate on weekends.

Almost all music is from local gadget content, or a streaming service with a very heavily trained feed (that is, I've rejected lots of stuff, added what I could by hand, and tweaked til it's acceptable).
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:36 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

OTA radio almost exclusively while I'm driving. Listen to iTunes only when I'm in an area with no radio stations. Sometimes listen to OTA in my workshop. No satellite radio.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:39 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
I still listen in my car to OTA. I have seen what satellite radio has to offer. It is really good. But am I gonna go out and get it? No. I do not want another bill and while IMO the cost is worth it I am not going to do it. At home I listen to online radio and I can get any radio station I want from almost anywhere. In my car I suffer with local stations but I am not in my car all that much. I am just curious how everyone else feels about this and what do you do about it.
In the car I switch between listener supported radio (Home drive) and sports radio (work drive). I could plug in my iwhatever (phone or ipod), or play a cd, but those choices require more effort...

I have a USB connection. Should see if that will play music or is just charging slot. Some day I'll pair my phone. Lol.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:03 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

I listen to NPR OTA in the car and streaming at the gym.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:22 AM   #59

Sirius teaser just canceled in my NTM 2014 Mustang. And I still haven't programmed the OTA channels. I loaded all of my CDs to the cars hard drive and have a usb stick with more music. And can always stream Prime music through my phone. With over a thousand songs randomly playing I rarely hear the same song. Don't miss the commercials on OTA. Really don't miss the yoyo on 60s on 6. I mean seriously dude why would I pay for commercial free music to listen to you and your call-in buddies? Just play music....
Old 01-23-2016, 06:45 AM   #60
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
If I had a long regular commute or had to travel a lot in my car, I'd probably splurge for satellite radio, but I don't drive enough miles a year to justify the cost.
I still commute slightly over two hours everyday. I listen to OTA radio so I can hear the traffic reports and adjust my route accordingly. I listen to only two stations and I switch about halfway through the drive because a) the traffic reporter on each covers a different geographical area and b) their respective signals are not strong enough to cover the entire distance.