Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-30-2015, 01:36 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We also use Ting. Two phones and with data, minutes, texting, our joint bill is usually $47 ($51 with taxes) a month. Just purchased a flip phone to use with AT&T GoPhone while in Mexico. They have some attractive plans for low use in the states...you can do $2 a day unlimited minutes (no charge on days the phone isn't used) or a straight 10 cents a minute with no other fees.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2015, 01:39 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
OK.... have ZERO knowledge on this.... just saw it when looking at woot...

Free Wireless Internet | Free Internet | 4G Wireless Internet - FreedomPop

Says unlimited talk, text and data for FREE...

Since I just saw this I cannot find the catch... maybe someone else will know...

I'm on freedompop, and you get what you pay for. My 200 min/500 txt/500MB data plan is free.

It cost $20 to activate my $98 used Sprint Galaxy S3 on their service. Otherwise free.

Except last night I was playing around and signed up for an international virtual phone number by accident and was charged $5 without any notification. I cancelled immediately. Charge back from CC will be initiated soon unless they refund my money. No apparent way to contact them other than a direct message on twitter...

Otherwise, the voice quality is okay as long as I'm on 4g service (they use voip and data packets to carry voice). Spotty if on 3g and sometimes useless if crappy 3g signal.

I use about 3 minutes of talk time each month, so it works perfectly for me. Data is only ~150MB per month, and only that high if I'm traveling. Usually on wifi if I'm doing more than sending an email.

Definitely worth a try if you want to get close to zero costs.

There are better options like ting and pageplus IIRC that can be under $10/mo if you do it right. I'm always a fan of zero if it's not much worse service than the $10/mo guy.

As for landline, we're on voip using an obihai adapter and Vestalink service. $50/yr for 500 mins/month service. I'm about to drop them and switch back to free google voice though (once I research whether it will really work).

$50/yr for pretty much all the telecoms we can consume ain't bad.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:14 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Well what do you know - I'm not the only one! This is exactly what I do, except I think my Tracfone cost $19.99.
Back in January, I finally caved and got a cell phone from TracFone. It's only for emergencies, mainly. I bought the phone and some minutes before buying some more minutes later on through their bonus minutes deals, enough to last me through at least September. I have given my number out to only a few people although I get lots of spam calls and texts. I can tell the spam and garbage by looking up the phone number if I don't recognize it.

Even though I rarely use my cell phone, as it is turned off most of the time, it has come in handy in the last 4 months and it gives me some peace of mind. It's a good deal for infrequent cell phone users like me.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:47 AM   #24

We've used Tracfone for the last 10 years. We dropped landline when we retired and moved in 2011 and now use my husband's Tracfone as our main phone. My phone is used to talk to relatives and as an emergency phone when we are not together. We are both very light users and use the service only for calls. It is disheartening the way spam calls on cell phones have increased in the last two to three years.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:42 PM   #25

We've had Tracfones for about the last 12 years too. Not much spam (so far) but some. Most of the time it is turned off anyway so I only see the "missed call" notice. We still keep the landline since cell coverage can be spotty here.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:49 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Back in January, I finally caved and got a cell phone from TracFone. It's only for emergencies, mainly. I bought the phone and some minutes before buying some more minutes later on through their bonus minutes deals, enough to last me through at least September. I have given my number out to only a few people although I get lots of spam calls and texts. I can tell the spam and garbage by looking up the phone number if I don't recognize it.

Even though I rarely use my cell phone, as it is turned off most of the time, it has come in handy in the last 4 months and it gives me some peace of mind. It's a good deal for infrequent cell phone users like me.
+1 on Tracfone. Usage similar to that quoted above.

Disclosure: I am a little weird. I'm the guy on the subway (The "T" where I live) reading a book instead of staring at an iPhone screen.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:47 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Wife and I are on unlimited everything plan with Cricket (AT&T) for $25/mo, we are a part of a group of five to drop the price from $35. We have her parents on the Page Plus $10 every 120 days, formerly on TracPhone. Have my mom on the Page Plus $30/mo plan. I have had Straight Talk, Virgin Mobile, and Page Plus in the past.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:11 PM   #28

Started with T-Mobile prepaid but coverage not as good for travel so went to PagePlus (which is considerably cheaper per minute) about 3 years ago. Bought a Droid Pro on ebay for around $60 and buy the 2000 minute refills on callingmart for $76. The 2000 minutes usually last 6-12 months so my cost is $76 to $152 annually. Less than 4 cents a minutes works fine for me as I am not a huge talk/text person.

I still had T-Mobile minutes that roll over so kept that phone and do the $10 per year refill to keep it active as a spare phone for travel.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:27 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I am a very big fan of unlocked GSM smartphones because you can port your "good" number to Google Voice or Ring.to and have all your calls forwarded to your phone, no matter which flavor of the month carrier you use. My wife has a cheapo Alcatel One Touch Evole that I unlocked and rooted. She is using Ultra (which is a T-mo MVNO) on the $19 unlimited minutes/texts /100mb data plan that works real well for her.(actually, they had a $100/year special so we are paid for the year)

I am sporting a free Ring Plus EVO3G that suits me for what I do. I don't use much data either.
I also have a couple of FreedomPop phones, but they are worthless for voice. I just use them as hotspots for free data for my laptop.

You really can get the job done on prepaid for very little money if you avoid the "bleeding edge" and the hype.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:06 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Well what do you know - I'm not the only one! This is exactly what I do, except I think my Tracfone cost $19.99.
Yeah, you probably got a camera with yours.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:11 PM   #31

You can get a pretty good Android 3G smartphone from Tracfone (or ebay) for about $40 or $50 with triple minutes for life of phone. $106 for a 1 year card with 1200 voice min, 1200 texts and 1.2 gig of data. If you don't use it much its the least expensive way to go.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:47 PM   #32

HSN (Home Shopping Network) has Android 3G smartphones from Tracfone bundled with a year of service (1200 minutes/1200 texts/1.2 GB data) for $79.95. They did not charge sales tax on my order.