Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone use ADP for their payroll processing?
Old 11-03-2007, 07:20 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Anyone use ADP for their payroll processing?

I am tired of doing payroll and taxes manually. So, I'd like to be able to outsource it to someone like ADP, or another firm if the service offered are cheaper.

They quoted me only $65/month to process payroll for 2 employees as well take out and send in taxes for the business quarterly or as needed.

Just looking for some different ideas on my options.

My MAIN reason for doing this is to ensure compliance with the tax laws, as well as being able to show a paystub if I ever need to apply for credit

Thanks!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2007, 07:31 PM   #2

At my last (final) employer, we used Paychex to manage the payroll/tax stuff and we were very happy with their services. Can't remember how much we paid for Paychex to manage these services for our employees, but knowing our financial VP, the price had to be very competitive.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:21 AM   #3

We are in the process of moving from Paychex to ADP. Not sure what is going on at Paychex, but it seems every month our rep leaves then we wait another month to get a new contact. They have made numerous screw ups that are just not acceptable.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 07:01 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

We used ADP in my company. Looked at others trhoughout the years, but ADP was simply the best. No mistakes, payroll was accurate and on time, every time. We were willing to pay a little more in exchange for the peace of mind.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:52 PM   #5

We quit ADP (mistakes, unresponsive) and went with Paychex earlier this year. Haven't heard any complaints from HR.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:34 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I got rid of Paychex at the end of 2006. I had a terrible time with them. Constant agent turnover, an inflexible website and constant errors on their part. And to boot, they kept ratcheting up the charges until they reached twice the cost of its competitors (i.e. ADP). I finally got fed up with them (I hadn't chosen them, I had inherited that situation.)

Starting 1/1/07 I switched to using QuickBooks Assisted Payroll and I am extremely happy with it. I wish I hadn't stuck with Paychex for so long.

Keep in mind that any full-service company you choose will probably walk your costs up over time. Also, don't forget that they will add delivery costs, W-2 costs.

Also, FWIW, my parents use ADP for an eight paycheck company and are happy with them. I think their cost is about $125.

If I were you I would get it set up now and then wait to start at the beginning of 2008 just to make a clean start.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:53 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
I am tired of doing payroll and taxes manually. So, I'd like to be able to outsource it to someone like ADP, or another firm if the service offered are cheaper.

They quoted me only $65/month to process payroll for 2 employees as well take out and send in taxes for the business quarterly or as needed.

Just looking for some different ideas on my options.

My MAIN reason for doing this is to ensure compliance with the tax laws, as well as being able to show a paystub if I ever need to apply for credit

Thanks!
As a former tax preparing CPA, many of my clients came in with ADP W-2's. I was always glad to see them because those W-2s never had anything "funny" about them like others I saw from time to time. Sometimes there is coding in some of the boxes on W-2s and ADP's always had that done right, which is very important, as the wrong code in the wrong box could mess up someone's income tax reporting bigtime.

After some years of being impressed by ADP I invested in their stock.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:52 AM   #8

We've used ADP here for about 12 years, no problems so far and they've been very easy to work with on special payrolls or problems we've had. Every now and then someone like Paychex will come around and try to win us over but they can't seem to match ADPs pricing.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:17 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

The large firms such as the ADP's of the world do a good job. I would caution you to do some homework if you choose to use an unknown local or regional firm. I have seen instances where the service provider did not remit the payroll taxes and went bankrupt. You are still liable for the unpaid taxes and penalties. Ouch.